Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gene Banks

Gene Banks

What happened to him post-Duke? A buddy asked me this the other day and I didn't have a clue. As good as he was, I don't recall him in the NBA. Also, his name doesn't come up much as much as it seems it should when talking about Duke.

Just curious.

-EJ

Banks went on to play six seasons in the NBA with the Spurs and Bulls from 81-87. He averaged 11.3 ppg and 5.8 rebounds. He then played overseas in Italy and Israel. I agree that he is often forgotten in the list of Duke greats despite averaging 16.8 ppg and 7.9 rpg over his Duke career. He was also ACC ROY.

Tink was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs, where he played for four years, then spent two years with the Chicago Bulls until he injured his Achilles tendon.

After that, he had coached semipro teams overseas as well as two college women's teams -- Division II Bluefield State and D-III Bennett College. He's also founded the Gene Banks League for helping at-risk children learn through basketball camps.

Does it take longer to post a thread and get an answer or type the following words into Google "Gene Banks Wiki"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Banks

--Jason "folks, it does the soul good to do a tiny bit of research before posting whatever random thought enters your head" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Does it take longer to post a thread and get an answer or type the following words into Google "Gene Banks Wiki"?

--Jason "folks, it does the soul good to do a tiny bit of research before posting whatever random thought enters your head" Evans
    Others here might be interested in finding this info out, too. Sans sarcasm.

Yes. The reason for the post was to initiate a conversation between those in the know regarding Gene Banks.

Jesus. You can also get a recap of a Duke game on SportsCenter without starting a post-game thread here, but the conversation that comes out of it makes posting worth while.

Excuse me while I go whip the shinkle out of myself with a wet noodle.

-EarlDammed

P.S. Wikipedia can burn in HELL!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, if they are seeking to avoid sarcasm, this might not be the best place to hang

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't know, I think am in the same camp as Jason. I saw the Gene Banks titled thread and was thinking there must be some interesting new concerning him. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, if they are seeking to avoid sarcasm, this might not be the best place to hang
    True, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the initial post. People ask such questions on this board all the time, and I, EarlJam, love the informed responses - some of which you can find on Wikipoodia and some of which you can't (like personal stories of when posters met the players and such).

Not sure what the reason was for the hand slap, but seeing as Jason is a moderator, and a "thumbs up" guy at that, I respect the virtual thump.

Just not sure what to really do with it (never post questions you can find out the answer to on the Internet????)

-EJ

Isn't wikipedia known for distorting facts?

I recall Gene with the Bulls. He played the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    True, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the initial post. People ask such questions on this board all the time, and I, EarlJam, love the informed responses - some of which you can find on Wikipoodia and some of which you can't (like personal stories of when posters met the players and such).

Not sure what the reason was for the hand slap, but seeing as Jason is a moderator, and a "thumbs up" guy at that, I respect the virtual thump.

Just not sure what to really do with it (never post questions you can find out the answer to on the Internet????)

-EJ
    Yes, people ask questions like this on the board all the time and most of the time I see them and think, "well, that sure was lazy. It would take less time to hit google and find the answer on your own." I mean, honestly, how different is this from asking, "What happened to Marty Pocious? Why isn't he playing at all this season?"

Now, if you wanted to start a thread asking folks for memories of Gene and updates on what he was doing lately, that would be something different. I know the difference in that and what you asked seems subtle, but I think there is a difference.

My reply may have come off as overly harsh. I am sorry for that. It was not intended to be so.

I am a bit busy right now and don't have time for a longer answer but I hope folks get my point in posting this. It is actually something all of ya'll will be reading a lot more about in coming days... how is that for a tease?

--Jason "change is a coming!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Isn't wikipedia known for distorting facts?
    No more so than random people on the bulletin board. I actually find wiki to be quite good. Impiortant stuff should be verified by other means, but for simple questions about simple topics, Wiki is excellent.

--Jason "distorting implies intentional deception, which Wiki is not know for in my opinion" Evans

One more hint, please. Just one more hint...

Yes, people ask questions like this on the board all the time and most of the time I see them and think, "well, that sure was lazy. It would take less time to hit google and find the answer on your own." I mean, honestly, how different is this from asking, "What happened to Marty Pocious? Why isn't he playing at all this season?"

Now, if you wanted to start a thread asking folks for memories of Gene and updates on what he was doing lately, that would be something different. I know the difference in that and what you asked seems subtle, but I think there is a difference.

My reply may have come off as overly harsh. I am sorry for that. It was not intended to be so.

I am a bit busy right now and don't have time for a longer answer but I hope folks get my point in posting this. It is actually something all of ya'll will be reading a lot more about in coming days... how is that for a tease?

I loved watching Gene play. Not only was he a good player, he was a good showman as well. Dare we hope that he might be returning to Duke?

Thanks for bringing up Gene Banks. It brought a smile to my face - he sure did look good in overalls sans shirt. The man had some great arms and shoulders. I like watching him play, also.

Anal Retention, Pt. 2

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Thanks for bringing up Gene Banks. It brought a smile to my face - he sure did look good in overalls sans shirt. The man had some great arms and shoulders. I like watching him play, also.
    So now we're all supposed to go to Google images and enter "gene banks overalls", right?

Mr. "pithy sig script goes here" Slower

Jason,

I see your point. I really do. But to your thought, I don't think it's a matter of laziness. I (and I would guess others who frequent here and post) look at this board like being at a sports bar with a bunch of friends. "Hey man, what ever happened to Gene Banks?"

Sports bars often have the sports section of newspapers at various tables. In addition, multiple televisions are often on SportsCenter or ESPN with the crawl at the bottom. If a guy, girl, rabbit turns to me in a sports bar and asks, "Hey man, did your boys Duke win last night," should I turn to him and say, "There's a newspaper buddy; look it up?"

It's the conversation that makes it a pleasure. Sure, facts can be looked up but when among such company as here, why not just "talk Duke" comfortably and enjoy the camaraderie (I did have to look up how to spell camaraderie )?

Where's the harm? The damage?

Just two cents from a HUGE fan of this site. Whatever the mods decide to do/change, cool; of course I'll respect that. You guys do a great job. But unless a flood of complaints are coming in from visitors, well, I just hope the changes aren't too changalistic.

Cheers and go Duke!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    So now we're all supposed to go to Google images and enter "gene banks overalls", right?

Mr. "pithy sig script goes here" Slower
    LOL that almost brought me to tears!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Appreciate your response and thanks for appreciating ours. I come here not for straight facts and news, but for insights and personal opinion/ stories. For all I know, someone might post that Tinkerbell is doing great and working across the hall from them. It's the personal touch from the true-blue that makes reading the questions and comments worth skipping the wiki version of the story.