View Poll Results: Would you rather...

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • UNC Wins Title, Hans & Co leave early

8 8.25%
  • UNC Does not win title, Hans stays, Hans breaks JJ's scoring record

89 91.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UNC Wins Title, Hans & Co. leave OR Hans & Co stay and he breaks JJ's record

Was watching a bit of the Wake/UNC game yesterday and they posted Hansbrough's scoring mark and it reminded me that he has a very legit shot to break JJ's scoring record next year, if he stays.

Depending on how many games they play in the ACC/NCAA tournament this year. If they play two games in each, which is conservative, and Hansbrough gets 20pts each game, then he would basically need to average 20-21ppg next year, assuming about a 33 game schedule. He's not lock to break the record in that scenario, but barring an injury its hard to imagine him not breaking it.

SO my question to the DBR community is, would you prefer to give UNC another title, giving them 2 more than us, but then get to watch Hansbrough & Co. depart, leave JJ's scoring record in tact, and make us a better team then them for the very near future, or would you rather they not win, everyone stays (No significant seniors graduating, right?), they have another great year next year, and Hansbrough probably breaks JJ's record.

(of course its not a lock that hans & co will stay/go no matter what happens...but lets pretend)

2. Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Was watching a bit of the Wake/UNC game yesterday and they posted Hansbrough's scoring mark and it reminded me that he has a very legit shot to break JJ's scoring record next year, if he stays.

Depending on how many games they play in the ACC/NCAA tournament this year. If they play two games in each, which is conservative, and Hansbrough gets 20pts each game, then he would basically need to average 20-21ppg next year, assuming about a 33 game schedule. He's not lock to break the record in that scenario, but barring an injury its hard to imagine him not breaking it.

SO my question to the DBR community is, would you prefer to give UNC another title, giving them 2 more than us, but then get to watch Hansbrough & Co. depart, leave JJ's scoring record in tact, and make us a better team then them for the very near future, or would you rather they not win, everyone stays (No significant seniors graduating, right?), they have another great year next year, and Hansbrough probably breaks JJ's record.

(of course its not a lock that hans & co will stay/go no matter what happens...but lets pretend)
    No matter what, I would never wish for UNC to win a title for any reason.

For the record, I struggled but picked Hans leaving early. JJ is my boy and I want to see him hold that record for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    fair enough, fair enough...it literally gave me pain to click "vote"

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Amen. 'Nuf said.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Amen. 'Nuf said.

-EarlJam
    Ditto. Don't really care for JJ's record anyway. Besides, the first poll option is what UNC fans would pick.

How about option 3: No title, and Hans stays and gets hit by an errant handglider and so misses 15 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    How about option 3: No title, and Hans stays and gets hit by an errant handglider and so misses 15 games?
    are you volunteering?

i do not see hans leaving early

I posted a thread like this a few months back. The general consensus was that Hans wont leave cause he knows he'll be garbage in the pros. Therefor, lets hope they don't win because chances are he'll be back next year too.

With that said, I'm much prouder of the way JJ set his record than how Hans might break it. I would much rather JJ loose the record and we win a NC than the holes win one.

We barely brag about JJ anymore. You think the holes could say anything if we're National Champs?

I think Hans will leave early ...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    i do not see hans leaving early
    What else does he have to prove at this point. His draft stock will not go up with one more year so he might as well get in the league. If he went to Duke, I would think he would do the same thing (unless he truly loves going to school).

Orange&BlackSheep

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Stop asking these stupid questions.
    What's your problem? I don't think its stupid at all. Its a question several people have asked me, and one that I struggled with.

We're all on the same team so be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I posted a thread like this a few months back. The general consensus was that Hans wont leave cause he knows he'll be garbage in the pros. Therefor, lets hope they don't win because chances are he'll be back next year too.

With that said, I'm much prouder of the way JJ set his record than how Hans might break it. I would much rather JJ loose the record and we win a NC than the holes win one.

We barely brag about JJ anymore. You think the holes could say anything if we're National Champs?
    First, I think that he will be a decent pro player, but not great.

Second, the poll said nothing about us winning a NC. Of course I would rather win a NC then all of the above. That wasn't the question.

i think he has the opportunity to become one of the best players ever for unc,whether he is a good pro or not is yet to be seen but it appears that he loves college ball and i just dont See him leaving although i wish he would
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    What else does he have to prove at this point. His draft stock will not go up with one more year so he might as well get in the league. If he went to Duke, I would think he would do the same thing (unless he truly loves going to school).

Orange&BlackSheep

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    First, I think that he will be a decent pro player, but not great.
    I'd guess somewhere between Songaila and Brendan "Todd" Haywood. Not sure if that qualifies as "decent"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I'll add that asap

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post

Orange&BlackSheep
    I think there is one thing he can do to raise his draft stock, which is work on/showcase his jumper more. He is doing a little this year, and would probably do even more next year in terms of showcasing, and presumably by next year it would be even better (given an off season of work).

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I think there is one thing he can do to raise his draft stock, which is work on/showcase his jumper more. He is doing a little this year, and would probably do even more next year in terms of showcasing, and presumably by next year it would be even better (given an off season of work).
    Next year he will be 24 years old!

Sooner or later, UNC is going to win another championship. Given those two bad choices, I'd rather get it over with and let JJ's record stand for a long time.

He can have the record given those choices.

I think he'll return either way though. He's the man in college and I don't think his NBA stock is going to go down.

Hansborough's Old Age

First off, records were meant to be broken and hopefully JJ's record gets broken by Singler in 3 years. So let's agree to never wish UNC would win anything resembling a national championship.

Second, http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/tylerhansbrough.asp

Hansborough would be 23 at the beginning of the next NBA season and 24 at the beginning of the one after that were he to stay 4 years.

So...why would he stay in college? He's just reducing his # of years in the NBA and his earning potential.

I think he's gone.