View Poll Results: Church or ESPN, which one do you tune in to more often?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • House O' Prayer

26 28.26%
  • House that Coach K built

66 71.74%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jesus would be a swingman. Being aprt of the Trinity means he could play 3 positions and play them quite well.

Unless I missed the point, this poll is skewed. Duke has more than one game a week and i only go to church once a week, sometimes two. So therefore I watch Duke more often than I go to church. Correct me if I missed the point

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    No doubt Jesus would be a point guard. Sacrificing his points to make his teamates better. Coach K would have still made him cut his hair though.
    Jesus does play guard, but in a 3-guard rotation it seems. Looks like he did get a haircut and a tan.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?
    "Blessed are the pacemakers." To control tempo is to feel God's grace. Jesus would be a point who could speed it up or slow it down as needed. (And, as a side note, I think there were a lot of noteworthy events in between the Sermon on the Mount and ascension.)

On a serious note, wrt the topic raised at the beginning of the thread, I think America's sports obsession has developed more as an alternative source of satisfaction to the workplace, rather than to religion. Sports is a reasonably pure meritocracy, where your success generally bears some substantial relation to your actual worth. Increasingly, the American workplace is losing any such connection. Of course, this is coming from someone who takes the comic strip Dilbert as a straight-up description of reality.

Smile Ronnie Shelton's Best Flick

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nope. But, Ozzie, I was in Cameron when they made an announcement asking for extras when they filmed. Problem was, you had to go to the park in summer clothes and it was the coldest week of my four years in Durham.
    Hmm... I recall going to the Ball Park for the wedding scene. They promised us donuts and beer. They needed everyone to cheer. We were on the third base side, but the wedding took place on the first base side. Production Assistant Kippi Bell promised us more than donuts, but that's all we ever got. That was during the summer.

After we left, we got some beer.

FWIW, the donuts were not Krispy Kreme.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

While I watch every Duke game barring absolute conflict, church wins out for me. I go to church an average of twice a week. I'd say I typically attend three of four Sunday services a month, plus at least once more during the week (currently I am serving on a search committee to replace on of our staff members). I also regularly participate in youth activities as a chaperone/advisor.
    Our senior pastor and at least two of our associates are heels, so I have to represent. I have a Duke blue and white bowtie that gets lots of play between November and March.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Unless I missed the point, this poll is skewed. Duke has more than one game a week and i only go to church once a week, sometimes two. So therefore I watch Duke more often than I go to church. Correct me if I missed the point
    I think you may be shortchanging yourself on the church side of the equation. Looking at the question on an annualized basis, if you go to church once a week all year long, that's 52 times per year, whereas Duke doesn't play 52 games each calendar year. I wish they did, I'd watch them all!

I Tivo church.

Thumbs up

I TIVO Duke. Then again, being on the Left Coast there is usually no conflict. I also TIVO NFL, Tiger Woods, MLB, etc. Thank God for TIVO. Day or night, it changes your life.

Church wins

Using a tangible criteria - money, this can be easily measured. Duke keeps records of donations, and most are listed with the IRS as well. However, based upon the religious donations claimed on tax returns, religion wins 100,000 to one!

By the way, we have been overly restrictive in considering the talents of the team:

Moses was great at breaking a press and parting a D,

David was tremendous at bringing down big men on the other team,

Joe Smith didn't have much game, but was a great recruiter,

Buddha was a real space eater in the middle,

Gaia could really handle the orb,

Thor had the original thunder dunk,

Zaebos was a thick-skinned warrior,

Sekhmet was a real shooter with unlimited range,

Artemis was another great shooter and had her own statue long before MJ,

Vishnu was the original "landlord",

and, my favorite, Bacchus (Roman God, not Saint Bacchus) - truly the center of team spirit

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play?
    Earl -- he did play at Duke already, arriving in 2000. So his eligibility is all used up.

P.S. I agree with you about God's sense of humor.
    P.P.S. In the event of conflict between church and a Duke game I DVR. If it's a really big game, I adjust my service attendance to be able to see it live.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    P.P.S. In the event of conflict between church and a Duke game I DVR. If it's a really big game, I adjust my service attendance to be able to see it live.
    Pretty much the same. Since I attend service at 5:30 PM on Sunday I occasionally have to miss a Duke game - but I'll just get a friend to TiVo it.

If it's the Carolina game, I will just listen to the audio recording (actually they have a video recording too now) later - hey, it's only once a year.

Trick question, Coach K is god

RIP Chris Farley

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Using a tangible criteria - money, this can be easily measured. Duke keeps records of donations, and most are listed with the IRS as well. However, based upon the religious donations claimed on tax returns, religion wins 100,000 to one!

By the way, we have been overly restrictive in considering the talents of the team:

Moses was great at breaking a press and parting a D,

David was tremendous at bringing down big men on the other team,

Joe Smith didn't have much game, but was a great recruiter,

Buddha was a real space eater in the middle,

Gaia could really handle the orb,

Thor had the original thunder dunk,

Zaebos was a thick-skinned warrior,

Sekhmet was a real shooter with unlimited range,

Artemis was another great shooter and had her own statue long before MJ,

Vishnu was the original "landlord",

and, my favorite, Bacchus (Roman God, not Saint Bacchus) - truly the center of team spirit
    Great post! Quick question: Buddha? Or Sean May?

-EJ