View Poll Results: Church or ESPN, which one do you tune in to more often?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • House O' Prayer

26 28.26%
  • House that Coach K built

66 71.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Church or viewing sports?

I am pondering the idea of writing an article for a friends indy rag and need some input from die hard college basketball fans. In no way am I trying to be judgemental or flipant about the importance of religion in peoples' lives. It just seems to me that sports fanaticism has replaced religion as the elixir of the masses and I am trying to gather information that either proves or dismisses this idea.

So what do you say, which do you do more religiously, watch Duke or go to your house of worship?

I believe in God, Coach K, and long, slow wet kisses.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

heh..

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I believe in God, Coach K, and long, slow wet kisses.

Glad I was slick enuff to pick out the movie reference...

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Nope. But, Ozzie, I was in Cameron when they made an announcement asking for extras when they filmed. Problem was, you had to go to the park in summer clothes and it was the coldest week of my four years in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    I am pondering the idea of writing an article for a friends indy rag and need some input from die hard college basketball fans. In no way am I trying to be judgemental or flipant about the importance of religion in peoples' lives. It just seems to me that sports fanaticism has replaced religion as the elixir of the masses and I am trying to gather information that either proves or dismisses this idea.

So what do you say, which do you do more religiously, watch Duke or go to your house of worship?
    So many of my kids activities and my own revolve around our Church. I am there at least 3 times a week. Monday coach kids basketball in church league and 1 daughter has dance class there, son has guitar lessons there, Tuesday Wife Coaches, Wednesday kids programs and I play in a bball league, Thursday another daughter dance class. Saturday coach games at church. Sunday actual services and Sunday School.
    4 hours a week of Duke games just doesn't compare. However if we count the amount of time perusuing DBR I'd say we break just about even.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

And thank God for the comma after the K.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    And thank God for the comma after the K.
    That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? I see him more as a relief pitcher in baseball, with all the saves and all. But if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?

-EarlJam

**EarlJam is a Christian and believes God has a sense of humor. In no way...NO WAY...am I meaning to be sacreligious here. Jesus and me; we talk.

That is funny!

By the way, if Jesus played ball for Duke, what position do you think he'd play? I see him more as a relief pitcher in baseball, with all the saves and all. But if he hooped it up, I don't know. Maybe a coach? I mean, that speech he gave on the Mount before ascending rivals anything Knute Rockne could have done. **And to that point (ascension), maybe a slashing small forward?

-EarlJam

**EarlJam is a Christian and believes God has a sense of humor. In no way...NO WAY...am I meaning to be sacreligious here. Jesus and me; we talk.

No doubt Jesus would be a point guard. Sacrificing his points to make his teamates better. Coach K would have still made him cut his hair though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    No doubt Jesus would be a point guard. Sacrificing his points to make his teamates better. Coach K would have still made him cut his hair though.
    Jesus with a buzz cut? Still handsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    Well, apparently Jesus did spend some time in the NBA (with the Hawks even!). His stats were okay but I thought they'd be a little better, being Jesus and all. From the article:

The return of Christ, who averaged 18.2 points and 7.3 assists per game during his 10-year NBA career, has excited success-hungry Hawks fans, who are calling Him the team's "Savior."

Link:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50097

-EJ

Church or viewing sports?

Why choose? With VCast and earbuds, multitask! I have heard of this during weddings (who gets married during the NCAAs anyway?! - or during the NBA Finals?!)

What if Cameron is your House of Worship? God is everywhere!

My outlook: You will be successful if you can focus on three things, and three things only: Your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    who gets married during the NCAAs anyway?!
    A good friend, who is sadly ignorant on sports matters, is getting married March 29. I'm not sure we can afford the airfare to go anyway, but if we do, I plan on checking whether the reception site has TVs. Basketball: Serious business.

Just do it

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post

I do both have not missed sunday service in a long time and try to catch all the duke games

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    My outlook: You will be successful if you can focus on three things, and three things only: Your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers.
    Awesome. Long live the legend of Jimmy V!

Awesome. Long live the legend of Jimmy V!
    Of course, his line would have been better if it had been before a Green Bay game - instead of to his Rutgers basketball team.

I have to go with church - am there 3 times a week - choir, bells, and services. I'm grateful for functioning VCRs.

No ESPN

Since I don't have ESPN, I go to church. (Not the only reason...)

If I did have ESPN, and Duke was playing Sunday evening, I'd stay home and watch. (I'm only vice-chair of the Deacon Board.) God hears my prayers at home as well, and I have a better idea of what to pray for when watching the game.

Which raises the question, who actually prays for Duke to win?

I think we have a new motto for Duke . . .

"Eruditio et Sportasphaera"

[edit]. . . or perhaps just "Eruditio et Basketballio"[/edit]
    Last edited by Johnboy; 02-26-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: see above

Jeff Mullins' grandmother (I got this story second hand; I think it was Jeff's) thought it inappropriate to pray for victory in a basketball game. So instead she would pray for the boys to be happy after the game.

-jk