Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In-Game Oscars Thread

Who's watching the Oscars right now? Post your comments about the winners/decisions here. I doubt I've seen many/any of these movies but I'm required to watch the commercials for an advertising class.

No, say it ain't so...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    No, say it ain't so...
    You on strike from watching?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    You on strike from watching?
    Yes...but then I have been on strike most of my life. Curious to know who won, but not willing to sit and watch.

No oscars in Chateau Galore

I have NASCAR on.

Either is better than what I have happening here...

And the winner for Best Art Direction is...Sweeney Todd

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)

I would have picked Hofman in Charlie Wilson's War.

Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

Ymo...Are you following this thread because otherwise I'm just PWing.

Yeah, I am but haven't seen most of the movies either

Seems like both the actress awards were mild upsets.

They had that montage with every best picture...I had forgotten how many mediocre films had won best picture, especially in the 1950s.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Sorry for the lack of updates..couldn't use my computer for a while.
    Best Documentary: Taxi to the Dark Side. It beat out Sicko.

I'm catching up on big brother via DVR.

However, there have been interesting winners so far.

gotta love it when a stripper wins an oscar!

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    gotta love it when a stripper wins an oscar!
    Are you referring to Diablo, who just won for screen play? My girlfriend said she looks like Bam-Bam from the Flintstones.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Are you referring to Diablo, who just won for screen play? My girlfriend said she looks like Bam-Bam from the Flintstones.
    yep. she was previously employed as a pole dancer.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I know there are some proponents around here, but I thought "Once" was the most overhyped indie of the year. The story of its success is cool, because those two musicians are so likeable, but I found their Oscar to be one of the most unworthy, as I felt the song was an uninteresting melody at best. I was really pulling for "That's How You'll Know" from "Enchanted", which I thought was a brilliant bit of songwriting, and perfectly captured the essence of its film.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    I know there are some proponents around here, but I thought "Once" was the most overhyped indie of the year. The story of its success is cool, because those two musicians are so likeable, but I found their Oscar to be one of the most unworthy, as I felt the song was an uninteresting melody at best. I was really pulling for "That's How You'll Know" from "Enchanted", which I thought was a brilliant bit of songwriting, and perfectly captured the essence of its film.
    Have to disagree with you there. I thought "That's How You'll Know" was easily the worst song of the bunch.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I loved Once and I thought those two musicians' Oscar win was one of the best moments I've ever witnessed at the Academy Awards and I like that song best, by far. Everything else seemed to be composed with a nomination in mind. Thank goodness it went to something more original. You think some mediocre pictures have won Oscars, take a look at the songs.

I picked 3 of the 4 acting awards correctly plus Best Picture and Best Director, plus a few others but I was wrong on costume, make-up, and set direction which I often get. (I was right on sound editing and sound mixing because I thought they'd give Bourne something but the Editing award surprised me.) If I counted correctly, No Country for Old Men took home 4 Oscars and The Bourne Ultimatum took home 3, wow. There Will Be Blood took 2. Did anything else get more than 1? Oh wait, La Vie En Rose actress and make-up. Make-Up? They usually get that one right but not this year. How did making someone look like Edith Piaf beat out Sweeney Todd?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I loved Once and I thought those two musicians' Oscar win was one of the best moments I've ever witnessed at the Academy Awards and I like that song best, by far. Everything else seemed to be composed with a nomination in mind. Thank goodness it went to something more original. You think some mediocre pictures have won Oscars, take a look at the songs.

I picked 3 of the 4 acting awards correctly plus Best Picture and Best Director, plus a few others but I was wrong on costume, make-up, and set direction which I often get. (I was right on sound editing and sound mixing because I thought they'd give Bourne something but the Editing award surprised me.) If I counted correctly, No Country for Old Men took home 4 Oscars and The Bourne Ultimatum took home 3, wow. There Will Be Blood took 2. Did anything else get more than 1? Oh wait, La Vie En Rose actress and make-up. Make-Up? They usually get that one right but not this year. How did making someone look like Edith Piaf beat out Sweeney Todd?
    Because they made her look so exactly like Edith Piaf, a real historical figure, versus inventing a look for a fictional character.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”