Charting Duke vs. St. John's

Great to see a blowout to boost everyone's numbers again. Henderson's line was fantastic -- it really meshed with his play on the court. Also worth noting -- we didn't see the small lineup at all today. I'm not really sure whether this is a result of Henderson's wrist injury limiting Duke's ability to play him at the four, or a different strategic adjustment by Coach K, but Duke has really moved away from that lineup in the last two games. On to the numbers...

Individuals
    Gerald Henderson 55-27 (+28)
    Kyle Singler 64-40 (+24)
    Jon Scheyer 62-40 (+22)
    Nolan Smith 55-36 (+19)
    DeMarcus Nelson 50-33 (+17)
    Brian Zoubek 32-18 (+14)
    Taylor King 30-18 (+12)
    Lance Thomas 39-31 (+8)
    Greg Paulus 26-20 (+6)
    Dave McClure 12-11 (+1)
    Jordan Davidson 5-6 (-1)

Per 40 Minutes
    Gerald Henderson +48.7
    Kyle Singler +35.6
    Taylor King +34.3
    Jon Scheyer +32.6
    Nolan Smith +30.4
    DeMarcus Nelson +29.6
    Brian Zoubek +28
    Lance Thomas +18.8
    Greg Paulus +16
    Dave McClure +6.7
    Jordan Davidson -13.3

Lineups
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek (x2) 9-2 (+7)
    Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 9-2 (+7)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Singler 8-3 (+5)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Singler 5-0 (+5)
    Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-McClure-Singler 7-3 (+4)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 6-2 (+4)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 10-7 (+3)
    Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x2) 8-5 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Singler (x2) 4-1 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Thomas 4-3 (+1)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-2 (0)
    Smith-Scheyer-McClure-King-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Thomas-Zoubek 0-0 (0)
    Davidson-Smith-McClure-King-Zoubek 5-6 (-1)
    Paulus-Smith-Nelson-King-Zoubek 2-3 (-1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 0-2 (-2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-3 (-3)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 5-10 (-5)
    Last edited by Jumbo; 02-23-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    but Duke has really moved away from that lineup in the last two games. On to the numbers...
    What do you think of this? I think it's a really dangerous move by K. Our small line-up was doing great, and against UNC it worked to perfection. It's nice to see Lance and Zoubek improving but we had a real identity established and I don't like completely moving away from it. This was fine against St. John's but St. John's is terrible. If we're able to win the next three ACC games without significant use of the small line-up, I'll eat my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    What do you think of this? I think it's a really dangerous move by K. Our small line-up was doing great, and against UNC it worked to perfection. It's nice to see Lance and Zoubek improving but we had a real identity established and I don't like completely moving away from it. This was fine against St. John's but St. John's is terrible. If we're able to win the next three ACC games without significant use of the small line-up, I'll eat my words.
    Our small lineup needs G at his best.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I'm not really sure whether this is a result of Henderson's wrist injury limiting Duke's ability to play him at the four, or a different strategic adjustment by Coach K, but Duke has really moved away from that lineup in the last two games.
    I actually think it was a little bit of both. But I think it was primarily a shakeup in the lineup. After his indiviual converations with each of the players and also looking at tons of tape, I think he identfied strenths and weaknesses and did some revamping. Quite similar, perhaps, to the revamping that he did in 01 after Boozer got hurt during the 2nd Maryland loss. After he revamped, Duke went 10-0 the rest of the season and, of course, won the title. I am not saying we will do that again this year, but one likes to hope!
    Last edited by Jumbo; 02-23-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

5. Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    It's true, we didn't play a great team today. Regardless, however, I think our offense ran ever bit as fluidly as it did against UNC. Going bigger with guys that are actually stepping up and doing well in their roles will only make our game stronger because we'll force the opposition to defend down low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    I actually think it was a little bit of both. But I think it was primarily a shakeup in the lineup. After his indiviual converations with each of the players and also looking at tons of tape, I think he identfied strenths and weaknesses and did some revamping. Quite similar, perhaps, to the revamping that he did in 01 after Boozer got hurt during the 2nd Maryland loss. After he revamped, Duke went 10-0 the rest of the season and, of course, won the title. I am not saying we will do that again this year, but one likes to hope!
    Except K went away from the small lineup last game too. He really only used it at the end of the game, and it was instumental in the comeback. I think Gerald's injury has to be the most likely reason why Duke's not as comfortbale going small, although I have to believe K will finish with that lineup in tight games, even with the injury.

I think Gerald's injury has to be the most likely reason why Duke's not as comfortbale going small, although I have to believe K will finish with that lineup in tight games, even with the injury.
    It absolutely is because of the injury. No doubting that at all. And yeah, K will go to the smaller lineup at the end of any close game. Take that to the bank. He's not playing big late in games when things are tight. No way, no how.

Gary

It's worth noting that Lance Thomas has been much improved of late, and (at least today) there was a concerted effort to get Zoubek in the lineup. Increased minutes from Thomas/Zoubek means a decrease in the small lineup, since those minutes are not likely to come at the expense of Singler (at least not entirely).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Smile Self doubt, where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

It absolutely is ...

No doubting that at all...

Take that to the bank...

No way, no how...

Gary

Let me ask you a question. Do you ever have doubts about anything??

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let me ask you a question. Do you ever have doubts about anything??

sagegrouse
    Absolutely, positively, 100% for sure - NO.

Gary

Taylor King

Interesting how well the team did with King on the floor, even when he wasn't hitting his shots. It would be foolish to attribute too much to that, but it is a nice little data point.

On a less serious note (not that we should take any of this too seriously), what's up with Jordan Davidson? Earlier in the year, he was leading in plus/minus, but now he's in the middle of the pack, on a 40 minute basis.

Upper respiratory woes

I suspect another factor has come to play in the team's improvement. They look like they feel better physically. Demarcus had a terrible upper respiratory bug during the previous two games, for example. After last night's game Coach K's voice had the sound of the same bug... I recognized it because it's widespread here and in Durham (Duke Medical Center has restricted visiting for a week to ten days.) It saps the energy and leaves those infected with a glazed look for days. As great as they are, the guys on this team are not immune to such illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Interesting how well the team did with King on the floor, even when he wasn't hitting his shots. It would be foolish to attribute too much to that, but it is a nice little data point.

On a less serious note (not that we should take any of this too seriously), what's up with Jordan Davidson? Earlier in the year, he was leading in plus/minus, but now he's in the middle of the pack, on a 40 minute basis.
    He has only played 20 minutes this season. So his plus/minus can fluctuate wildly based on one performance.

He has only played 20 minutes this season. So his plus/minus can fluctuate wildly based on one performance.
    We definitely need to get Jordan back on track to have any chance in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    On the radio broadcast, Mitchell Laurence noted the Coach K really wanted one of Taylor's shot that rimmed out to go in, because he had been doing all the little things right yesterday, and wanted him to get the payoff of scoring a basket.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    We definitely need to get Jordan back on track to have any chance in the post season.
    Exactly my point! Maybe this deserves a thread of its own.