Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Sounds like Gerald played well. I didn't see any of his dunks because of the CBS decision to switch to a different game. That's a whole different thread.
    I guess CBS must have thought this was the NCAA tournament and switched from the Duke game in order to show a more competitive game. I've complained about ESPN overlapping games, but at least they show the rest of the game no matter what the score is.

per ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Being out here in KU land, I didn't see so much as a second of the game today . . . and I'm a bit confused by the posts regarding Henderson. Did he look for his jumper today? Did he hit with his jumper? Did he look better than he has lately? But he will need surgery on his wrist?

Could someone breaks down his game today for me?

By the way, I was watching via game trackers and it was great to see the stats pile up for Zoubek.
    Henderson played with a brace protecting his injured right wrist, and Krzyzewski said on his pregame radio show that the sophomore guard will require surgery on it after the season.

Some stats on Gerald Henderson from the St. John's game.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    Henderson played with a brace protecting his injured right wrist, and Krzyzewski said on his pregame radio show that the sophomore guard will require surgery on it after the season.
    He hit 5 of 9 shots, including 1 of 2 from 3 ball range. He had two very nice alley oop receipts for dunks. He was 2 of 2 from the free throw stripe. He had a few assists and a few rebounds.

However, he was knocked down once and he was helped up by the team not with his right hand, but with only his left hand, so clearly he's not well on that shooting hand, and indeed Coach K said after the game that G will indeed need surgery on that hand after the season!

He did seem like he looked for his shot (more); also, though, I still do not believe that he's seeking his slashing, across the lane drive that made him so hard to guard earlier this season. He is obviously still smarting with the hand.

Overall, he's playing better but he's still not near where he was, I think, unfortunately. At least he's looking like he's not there, right now, in my opinion.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    He hit 5 of 9 shots, including 1 of 2 from 3 ball range. He had two very nice alley oop receipts for dunks. He was 2 of 2 from the free throw stripe. He had a few assists and a few rebounds.

However, he was knocked down once and he was helped up by the team not with his right hand, but with only his left hand, so clearly he's not well on that shooting hand, and indeed Coach K said after the game that G will indeed need surgery on that hand after the season!

He did seem like he looked for his shot (more); also, though, I still do not believe that he's seeking his slashing, across the lane drive that made him so hard to guard earlier this season. He is obviously still smarting with the hand.

Overall, he's playing better but he's still not near where he was, I think, unfortunately. At least he's looking like he's not there, right now, in my opinion.

dth.
    It's nice to see a player tought it out and play through an injury. Unlike some players from another team.

Why is it better to see a player continue to play with an injury than to take time off to heal?

Nevermind, it was a "joke".

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Nevermind, it was a "joke".
    Most of us got it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Most of us got it.
    I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    I got it.

So did I !

Thumbs up

I'm a bit confused by the posts regarding Henderson. Did he look for his jumper today? Did he hit with his jumper? Did he look better than he has lately? But he will need surgery on his wrist?

For the first time since he got hurt, Gerald not only looked for his shot but he found it!

Early in the first half he hit a mid range (~14') jumper, much to my delight. Then he hit a 3. He had two spectacular ally-oop dunks.

Getting G's offense back, especially the mid range jumper, is crucial to this teams success in so many ways.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks to CBS, some of us didn't get to see the alley-oops. Fortunately, no more CBS games where they can s@@@w us!
    I sure do hope that DU gets a bunch of money from CBS for allowing them to broadcast the game, otherwise we are much better off with ESPN, Fox or Raycom. Those networks show the whole game, and nothing but the game (if you remember the Bass-o-matic from SNL).

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Getting G's offense back, especially the mid range jumper, is crucial to this teams success in so many ways.
    Maybe coming off the bench takes a lot of pressure off of G... especially with his wrist injury... and he's able to not worry about his role as a starter, and can just go out and play

Coach K Conundrum

Coach K has some hard decisions to make relative to who gets the PT and what combinations to use. The last three games in particular have pointed to combinations that appear to work. St. John was a relatively weak team, so the results from this afternoon might not be representative going against the stronger ACC teams, but they do suggest important strides have been made by some players:

1. Zoubek
    2. Smith
    3. Thomas

There are clearly others who are extremely solid and can be relied upon in key games:

1. Singler
    2. Scheyer
    3. Nelson
    4. Henderson (but touch and go due to injury)

Then there are players who have not shown as much as we had hoped for at this stage in the season:

1. Paulus
    2. McClure
    3. King (expect freshmen to take time to develop)

Coach K needs to use the solid players along with the improving players at the start of games, instead of getting behind early, and somehow motivate the others to improve their games as we will need them all to play close to their peak to be a real threat for the final four.

Zooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Coach K has some hard decisions to make relative to who gets the PT and what combinations to use. The last three games in particular have pointed to combinations that appear to work. St. John was a relatively weak team, so the results from this afternoon might not be representative going against the stronger ACC teams, but they do suggest important strides have been made by some players:

1. Zoubek
    2. Smith
    3. Thomas

There are clearly others who are extremely solid and can be relied upon in key games:

1. Singler
    2. Scheyer
    3. Nelson
    4. Henderson (but touch and go due to injury)

Then there are players who have not shown as much as we had hoped for at this stage in the season:

1. Paulus
    2. McClure

Coach K needs to use the solid players along with the improving players at the start of games, instead of getting behind early, and somehow motivate the others to improve their games as we will need them all to play close to their peak to be a real threat for the final four.
    Great analysis!

I'm sooo, excited about Zoubek's double-double (in 20 minutes of playing time). He's earned it. He's got a lot of heart, and it's so great to see him succeed.

If nothing else, this was the confidence boost we were looking for.

Also, a balanced performance. A lot of contributors. A few players stepped up, and a few had forgettable games. But those player with forgettable games could just as easily step up, and no doubt will against GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post

1. Paulus
    2. McClure
    I'm not ready to give up on Greg Paulus yet. Yes, I made a snide comment about him playing with his head up his butt again, but the last three games have been a departure from the last month's performance, where he has been solid to almost spectacular. If he regains his game in the coming week, he'll remain our starter. Perhaps we need to revisit the earlier thread where several of us "warm up" Greg before the game starts to overcome his slow start. Yeah, that's it. It is our fault for his play the last three games.

As for Dave, he's the loser playing time wise as Lance develops and Brian recovers and evolves. His game is not what it was last year, perhaps due to lingering effects of his injuries and surgeries. We actually saw Lance and Brian on the floor together for one rotation in the second half last night - no Singler, no King, and previously that would have meant no offense. Not the case last night. They got a big hand for doing a really good job when they were subbed out (by Singler and King).

King's overall game is coming around, although I sure wish he'd start hitting his shots again. He had a midrange jumper and a couple of 3's rattle around the rim and come out. Two of those shots were all but down before they spun out. As JJ said to a fellow player his senior year "if you don't like the rims, don't hit them."
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

What do we learn from St. John's?

Obviuosly, SJU was going to be a win coming in. I think the coaches treated it that way, too. It was nice to see the final victory margin what it was, but the team got there through unconventional means. This is another game that shows me that K is having one of his best years, because he continues to step out of the box.
    We all saw and seem to agree that this was a big game for Zoubek, he even acknowledged it as a confidence builder. What else do you all think we take away from this one? I think seein Taylor get 14 non scoring minutes was pretty impressive. That's important court time for him that he needs to grow on. Like Zoub, I think he earned his minutes out there.
    Any other positives to take away from here and build on in the home stretch?

I'm not ready to give up on Greg Paulus yet. the last three games have been a departure from the last month's performance, where he has been solid to almost spectacular.
    Me neither. When Greg is on the court his shot is falling we have a different gear. There are games this we would have lost if he doesnt step up.

** Side note: I went to the game with soem friends. One of them is a special needs kid. Greg really went out of his way to chit chat and be accomodating and gracious to the boy when he asked for an autograph. Thats not to say the other fellows were rude. they were not, but Greg gave something extra.

As for Dave, he's the loser playing time wise as Lance develops and Brian recovers and evolves. His game is not what it was last year, perhaps due to lingering effects of his injuries and surgeries.
    I remember one game from Dave's Fr yr. He made a bonehead play. In the ensuing TO, K emphaticly reminded him of said play. Some reacted harshly to the vigor of K's tirade. Daves reply was: "I made a bonehead play. I had it coming.." That impressed me tremendously. I have been rooting for him ever since. I think alot of what was good about last yr was due to Dave's play. He was a different player last yr and I hope his leg heals and he finds his confidence and game groove.

King's overall game is coming around, although I sure wish he'd start hitting his shots again. He had a midrange jumper and a couple of 3's rattle around the rim and come out. Two of those shots were all but down before they spun out. As JJ said to a fellow player his senior year "if you don't like the rims, don't hit them."
    I though King did great! He did everything BUT score in his minutes. He hustled, he rebounded, made the extra pass. Those elements will get him court time. Next to Zoubek, he got exactly what he needed out ofSt. Johns and responded with a nice game.

1. Paulus
    2. McClure

Isn't it amazing how some of us quit on a player so readily! To say that Paulus is a disappointment is incredulous! Yes, he has had a couple of bad outings lately but what about his overall performance this year? The kid is glue.... a leader...a fighter...we were praising him just few weeks ago and now he should be sitting on the bench!

We need Greg!

Answers

Being out here in KU land, I didn't see so much as a second of the game today . . . and I'm a bit confused by the posts regarding Henderson. Did he look for his jumper today? Did he hit with his jumper? Did he look better than he has lately? But he will need surgery on his wrist?

By the way, I was watching via game trackers and it was great to see the stats pile up for Zoubek.
    He looked for and hit his jumper. He looked much better. But he will need surgery.

Quit? Not in K's vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by Surfsideron View Post
    T

Isn't it amazing how some of us quit on a player so readily! To say that Paulus is a disappointment is incredulous! Yes, he has had a couple of bad outings lately but what about his overall performance this year? The kid is glue.... a leader...a fighter...we were praising him just few weeks ago and now he should be sitting on the bench!

We need Greg!
    Isn't it wonderful that Coach K doesn't seem to give up on any of the players? Guess that's why he's the coach and we just watch!