Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mattress Recommendations?

Anyone got any recommendations (success stories) for mattresses? I am in need of a new one (king size) pronto. The Nautilus Sleep System junk that I have been using has bitten the dust/air! I don't want to spend a fortune for frills and such that have nothing to with comfort, but my back is in serious need of replacement support. I have read reviews and suggestions on the internet (try it out, memory foam, etc), but I would seriously appreciate any advice about models, costs to expect, recent experience you have had, etc. Any particularly good values out there that give good support, comfort, etc.?
    Thanks ......desparately needing a good nights sleep!!!

Select Comfort is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    Anyone got any recommendations (success stories) for mattresses? I am in need of a new one (king size) pronto. The Nautilus Sleep System junk that I have been using has bitten the dust/air! I don't want to spend a fortune for frills and such that have nothing to with comfort, but my back is in serious need of replacement support. I have read reviews and suggestions on the internet (try it out, memory foam, etc), but I would seriously appreciate any advice about models, costs to expect, recent experience you have had, etc. Any particularly good values out there that give good support, comfort, etc.?
    I have a Select Comfort mattress (king size) and LOVE it. I have fibromyalgia, lower back problems and arthritis. Comfort and appropriate support are essential elements to being able to get restful sleep. Not only can you adjust the degree of firmness to suit you any time you want, the mattress is so light weight that making up the bed is easier as is moving the bed itself .... such as for cleaning or rearranging. I've moved since buying this mattress and have set it up myself each time. You can purchase one from a store if there's one near you or online. (A store will deliver and set up.) I got mine from QVC. It arrived in five boxes and I assembled by myself in a couple of hours or so. (I might have accomplished this quicker had I read the instructions first!) PM me me if you want to know more.

I've slept on a water bed for the last 26 years (I'm on my third mattress bag), but have thought seriously about moving on. I was disappointed when I went to a Select Comfort store in Raleigh and tried to determine my "sleep number". Didn't particularly find it that comfortable, but it might have been my being in a hurry.

I've stopped into the Original Mattress Factory store near RDU and was impressed by what they offer and the comfort of their beds, and their prices were reasonable.

Haven't bought anything - still enjoying the "motion on the ocean"
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Suggestions:

Go to a store with a large selection, and lay on every single bed you can -- see which brand/model appeals to you. You might want to bring your favorite pillow to help simulate the home experience. If you have a special headboard/footboard setup at home, be sure to take that into account when testing (mattresses may seem larger/longer in the store.)

Then, go home, and do research on what models are comparable. Mattress manufacturers may produce THE EXACT SAME mattress under 3-4 different model names depending on which store sells them. So, (using fake example names) the Sealy "Maryville" in one store is the Sealy "Amsterdam" in another. And the Sealy models are generally mirrored exactly in any other name-brand.

Armed with that knowledge, shop around. Don't fall for issues of model year, fabric coverings, bedframes, etc. I found that mattress stores had better deals on average than department stores, and they have a better selection.

Once you shop around, you should be able to find at least $100 off the initial price, or more if you decide that having matching fabric on your box spring and mattress doesn't matter (another $50-150). You should ALWAYS ask for (and receive) a new bedframe (the rails), free delivery and removal of your old mattress (if you want it taken away.) If not, find another store. Good luck!
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 02-22-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

Oh, and, just personally, I'd avoid "Pillow top" mattresses. You can't really rotate and flip them (though I know modern mattresses say you don't need to, I still believe it extends their life.)

Plus, if you want a little extra cushiness to go with your firmer mattress, you can add a foam or down mattress pad without having to worry about replacing the whole setup.

I also have a king size select number mattress and love it! For many years I thought I needed a really firm mattess to sleep well. I discovered with the select number mattress that I sleep better with a softer mattress -- my sleep number is 55 and I no longer have lower back pain. I also moved and found that the sleep number bed was easy to transport and set back up.

We went with a foam topper on a conventional innerspring. It was good at first. I guess it still is, but I've found best relief from back pain by sleeping on my side with knees bent. This position takes most stress off my lower back.

...Of course, this is all after the 13 (yes thirteen) pillows are thrown from the bed, to the floor! We went through this earlier.

Red face Pillows

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    ...Of course, this is all after the 13 (yes thirteen) pillows are thrown from the bed, to the floor! We went through this earlier.
    I was wondering how long it would take before you mentioned this classic thread.

I now have the tempurpedic pillow (degenerative disk disease in two neck vertebrae). Not soft and comfy, but it allows my neck to remain sans pain.

Now if I could somehow figure out how to stay asleep for more than 5 hours!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Question Do I Lose the Unlucky Number?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take before you mentioned this classic thread.

I now have the tempurpedic pillow (degenerative disk disease in two neck vertebrae). Not soft and comfy, but it allows my neck to remain sans pain.

Now if I could somehow figure out how to stay asleep for more than 5 hours!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Sort of makes me wonder if I can now technically call it 14 pillows instead. Does the mattress topper qualify as another pillow?

Beer.

Thumbs up

Several years ago while travelling, I slept on the most wonderful mattress I had ever experienced. So...in the morning I torn off the covers to discover -- a Serta Perfect Sleeper.

When in need of a new mattress, that's where I headed. And haven't been disappointed. It's sublime. The Perfect Sleeper is just that. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    I just went back to a futon on the floor, and I couldn't be happier.

I have a vibrating waterbed with satin sheets, partoongled bedposts and a canopy with a mirror directly overhead and a remote controlled mini-disco ball and fuzzy dice. At the push of a button (located on the "driver's side" bedpost), the tune, "Devil with a Blue Dress" plays over four speakers located on each corner of the bed.

I purchased it from Eternal Mattressmony in Athens, GA and plan to have stereo and HD television installed on it next week.

-EarlJam

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Yeah, EarlJam, but how many pillows -satin or otherwise-?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I have a vibrating waterbed with satin sheets, partoongled bedposts and a canopy with a mirror directly overhead and a remote controlled mini-disco ball and fuzzy dice. At the push of a button (located on the "driver's side" bedpost), the tune, "Devil with a Blue Dress" plays over four speakers located on each corner of the bed.

I purchased it from Eternal Mattressmony in Athens, GA and plan to have stereo and HD television installed on it next week.

-EarlJam
    I like the tune! It's the ring tone on my cell phone... allows people to find me in a crowd!

2021 refresh

Reviving this old thread to see what the composite wisdom is here for our situation. We face a ton of minor considerations, but I'll try to simplify.

What we seek: 2-3 mattresses, queen size.

Key constraints: we have a bow-back wooden bed frame in the master that we would like to keep using. However, it came with just 3 support boards that span the frame width (it's also supported around the perimeter). I did add vertical elements to these boards so it won't sag in the middle. Still, with just 3 boards, that's not sufficient to support a foam bed. Also, due to the bow-back design at the head and foot of the bed, today's thicker mattresses are too tall for it. Our 8" box spring + 8" mattress already put the top surface of the bed at nearly 29" when they rest in the frame.

The other 2 queen beds have basic steel ("angle iron" ?) frames underneath, so consideration of mattress height w/r/t wooden bedframe is not an issue with those.

Key biases: We have no vehicle to transport a traditional inner-spring mattress ourselves, yet we're not crazy about having a likely-unvaccinated delivery person in the house. We are vaccinated, but still ...
    Also, I am pretty skeptical of bed-in-box quality / longevity. DS has a Casper that already is a bit body-indented (not a ton, but noticeable at a glance) after just 2 years. DD had a foam mattress she liked before getting spooked by issues with the fiberglass sock they used for fire retardant. She's not yet fully sold on what she's switched to.

What we have: we are used to getting decades out of Simmons Beautyrest mattresses. Of three queens, we have 2 extra-firm and 1 soft. Only the "soft" one started to sag before 20 years was up. Ours are 27, 27, and 42 years old ... the oldest is in the best shape, ironically - no sag! We have another extra-firm Simmons in full/double that dates to Y2K, but has had such little use, it's like new. And finally, a twin on which we replaced the mattress 27 yrs ago with a Southerland. Several years of moderate use on that (it served as the kids' first non-crib bed), but after that, it just gets used if one of us is sick. It's not that great, but I think we liked it initially.

Currently we have a Novaform from Costco in a box in the basement, to be returned soon. I thought it might work in a non-master bedroom setting, esp. since it said it could work with box springs - no new foundation required. I later learned that while the NYT Wirecutter recommended it, they did only for folks under 200 lbs. So that takes it out of contention for a lot of potential guests (DS and the hubbys of other F&F). Can't see the use case now.

Current (list) prices for Beautyrest are breathtaking (even adjusted for CPI). Also, for our MBR bedframe, it's not easy to find an 8" mattress anymore. We might have to buy a half-height box spring to use a mattress of modern thickness.

I'd like to avoid pillowtops and other construction where the weakest link (the memory foam layers or pillowtop) may fail relatively early, dooming the entire mattress. Would rather add a topper that is replaceable (and then, only if necessary). Seems hard to avoid having some memory foam layers, though, even in an innerspring mattress.

FWIW, I'm a side and stomach sleeper, while Mrs. Cspan mostly a back sleeper.

I welcome advice! Thanks.

We bought a Tempur-Pedic a few years ago. Very disappointed. It's started to sag where we sleep and just doesn't seem to last as long as other mattresses we've had. Sure, it's comfy, until it's not...and it's really too expensive to replace every 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Reviving this old thread to see what the composite wisdom is here for our situation. We face a ton of minor considerations, but I'll try to simplify.

What we seek: 2-3 mattresses, queen size.

Key constraints: we have a bow-back wooden bed frame in the master that we would like to keep using. However, it came with just 3 support boards that span the frame width (it's also supported around the perimeter). I did add vertical elements to these boards so it won't sag in the middle. Still, with just 3 boards, that's not sufficient to support a foam bed. Also, due to the bow-back design at the head and foot of the bed, today's thicker mattresses are too tall for it. Our 8" box spring + 8" mattress already put the top surface of the bed at nearly 29" when they rest in the frame.
    WRT your existing frame, one possibility to consider is removing the support boards and placing the foundation (with feet) of the new mattress within the frame without being attached to it, and then placing the mattress on the foundation. You can adjust the height of the foundation with risers (easily available in a variety of heights). I did this with a family heirloom bed frame that I couldn't part with but had a similar characteristics to what you describe. It has worked out well for me.

BTW: in glancing over the earlier posts about mattresses, I'd like to vote for the sleep number. It does cost a lot for what is just a fancy air mattress, but after ten years has never developed a valley in the middle, plus the ability to adjust the firmness is a plus. Every other mattress I've had, including one unfortunate leaky water bed, has sagged after two or three years.

Hope this is useful for you,
    Section 15

We are stil liking our Original Mattress Factory beds some 10+ years later. Seems like a fairly reasonable price for what you get. You can mix and match box spring/mattresses if you want, although it does cost a little more than buying as a setsets. 8" is one of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We bought a Tempur-Pedic a few years ago. Very disappointed. It's started to sag where we sleep and just doesn't seem to last as long as other mattresses we've had. Sure, it's comfy, until it's not...and it's really too expensive to replace every 5 years.
    huh...our Tempur-Pedic is 15 years old now, and is as flat and supportive as the day we bought it...it is one of the thicker, pricier ones, perhaps that's a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    huh...our Tempur-Pedic is 15 years old now, and is as flat and supportive as the day we bought it...it is one of the thicker, pricier ones, perhaps that's a factor?
    I don't know, it was pretty danged pricey from what I remember.