Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dukie Decision: GM shoots a 325 pound airball

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280224021

I know the title is a little edgy - but thats what the real headlines will be looking like if this happens again.

The Suns just beat the Celtics (who are playing poorly as of late, but were the best team in the NBA before the all-star break).

They lost to the Lakers (all though close - the Lakers were in control for most of the game) when the Lakers were missing their muscle (Andrew Bynum) before that (Shaq's first game).

They just got completely destroyed by the Pistons. However, note last year Detroit beat them handidly as well - but Marion had one of his worst games of the season then. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270316021

Marion played a little better in another game they played last year and Pheniox won http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=261231008

Actually - Detroit has won 4 of the last 5 against the Suns - fairly impressive.

It has only been 3 games since Shaq got traded - but is there evidence building already that this trade was off?

Nash has only averaged 6.3 assists since losing Marion - and has gone all 3 games without reaching double digits in assists - his first such stretch of the season. Marion took a lot of pressure off of Nash on the peremiter - it is clear from watching 2 of the last 3 games that teams are applying a whole lot more pressure on Nash. His assist to turnover ratio is down a whole assist per turnover.

In reality the only thing that will bring judgement to this trade is the Suns playoff performance. Mr. Kerr better hope things turn around - there is no doubt if this trade turns out to be a huge flop - his job will be in jeopardy.

Watching the Suns these last few games - it looks like they are missing an engine. Hopefully they can work it out.

Huh? What does any of this have to do with Duke?

Unless by "Mr. Kerr", we're talking soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Huh? What does any of this have to do with Duke?
    Kerr played against Duke in college. Duh

No, wait. Grant Hill has replaced Marion in the Suns starting lineup and was shut out by the Pistons for the 27 minutes he played.

Hold on, what I am thinking? It is proof that Duke cannot play Zoubek, as a big man destroys Dantoni's system, which Coach K now uses.

Maybe it is an interesting comment regarding a trade that Duhon was not involved in.

Wait, was that a rhetorical question?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Kerr played against Duke in college. Duh

No, wait. Grant Hill has replaced Marion in the Suns starting lineup and was shut out by the Pistons for the 27 minutes he played.

Hold on, what I am thinking? It is proof that Duke cannot play Zoubek, as a big man destroys Dantoni's system, which Coach K now uses.

Maybe it is an interesting comment regarding a trade that Duhon was not involved in.

Wait, was that a rhetorical question?
    I remember Laettner kicking Shaq's butt once upon a time. Now everyone is kicking it.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I remember Laettner kicking Shaq's butt once upon a time. Now everyone is kicking it.
    Let's not get silly here. He had a lot of help - double teams at a minimum.

I thought Ferry was with the Cavs and Kerr went to Arizona or something.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I thought Ferry was with the Cavs and Kerr went to Arizona or something.
    That's one of the many reasons why we're all confused. Yes, Kerr went to Arizona.

I think Marty Pocius would solve all of the Suns' problems

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    I think Marty Pocius would solve all of the Suns' problems
    Marty would solve everyone's problems. Thats why he's been injured most of his career. The basketball gods tremble at the prospect of a mere mortal with basketball skills that create new paradigms and defy laws of physics. Pocius tears your world asunder! He's been injured for the good of the universe. There is such a thing as being too awesome.

jzp:

What are you on?

As for Phoenix, however, there is definitely a BIG difference in their offensive flow now that the Big Aristotle is "commanding" the Sun interior. I've watched two of the three games Shaq as played in so far for the "Greatest Show on Court" and I'm not so sure this change is for the better. It just looks like Nash is wearing some "creative restraint" chains or something. Nash's usual penetrate, zig-zag, and kick to the perimeter/throw reverse behind the head ally-oop routine is currently on hold. The critics who said Shaq would create problems for Nash's slashing game seem to have been right.

Now watch the Suns go win the NBA Finals

Color me totally lost on this thread. But perhaps that is the point about the Suns. Or not.

I think the Suns made this move as a panic response to the Lakers getting Pau. I think Memphis would have much rather traded Pau for Marion.

Wink Christian Outplayed Shaq in both games

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Let's not get silly here. He had a lot of help - double teams at a minimum.
    Shaq was no match for Christian in college, and got so frustrated that Dale Brown had to sit him down.

And all the Internet woofing that Shaq rather than Christian deserved to be on the Dream Team is just so much garbage and not matched by their performance that year, their teams' results, the head-to-head matchup and the NPOY honor.

sagegrouse

and imagine the team with both Marty and Patrick Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Marty would solve everyone's problems. Thats why he's been injured most of his career. The basketball gods tremble at the prospect of a mere mortal with basketball skills that create new paradigms and defy laws of physics. Pocius tears your world asunder! He's been injured for the good of the universe. There is such a thing as being too awesome.
    Speaking of tearing worlds asunder, imagine a team with both Patrick Davidson and Marty Pocius. Kobe would immediately retire if any team in the West had this combo.

Speaking of tearing worlds asunder, imagine a team with both Patrick Davidson and Marty Pocius. Kobe would immediately retire if any team in the West had this combo.
    Throw Horvath in the mix, silently stalking the perimeter, hunting three-point missles, and the NBA realeases an affidavit retracting all six Chicago Bulls Finals trophies.

I've got my lineup -

Jordan Davidson
    Patrick Davidson
    Marty Pocius
    Nick Horvath
    Matt Christensen

I'll go to war with that group.

Depth

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I've got my lineup -

Jordan Davidson
    Patrick Davidson
    Marty Pocius
    Nick Horvath
    Matt Christensen

I'll go to war with that group.
    Maybe have Andre Buckner coming off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Shaq was no match for Christian in college, and got so frustrated that Dale Brown had to sit him down.

And all the Internet woofing that Shaq rather than Christian deserved to be on the Dream Team is just so much garbage and not matched by their performance that year, their teams' results, the head-to-head matchup and the NPOY honor.

sagegrouse

You are both correct. We did double, sometimes triple, on Shaq when he had the ball. Shaq could do nothing when Laettner had the ball.
    ~rthomas

Twice

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    We played LSU twice during Christian's tenure here. He whopped Shaq both times... at Cameron and in Baton Rouge... yes, he had help, but Shaq had four other players on his team too!
    DukeDevilDeb