Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how the NCAA could touch his salary.

IU? There's a story about a flood in the woods. A scorpion (sometimes a snake) talks himself onto a boat of rabbits by promising it's not going to eat anyone it just wants to avoid drowning. When the boat safely reaches shore, the scorpion starts eating a rabbit. The rabbit screams "but you promised you wouldn't eat us." The scorpion responds, "oh, stop crying. You knew what I was when you let me on the boat."

IU knew they were letting a scorpion on the boat.

Its actually a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across the river. The frog agrees, on the condition that the scorpion won't sting him. However when they cross, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog says "you idiot, now we are both going to die. Why did you do that" To which the scorpion replies, "because I'm a scorpion"

Isn't that in Kill Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Its actually a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across the river. The frog agrees, on the condition that the scorpion won't sting him. However when they cross, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog says "you idiot, now we are both going to die. Why did you do that" To which the scorpion replies, "because I'm a scorpion"

Isn't that in Kill Bill?
    Actually, I heard that story on "Gilmore Girls." Lorelai compared herself to the frog and her parents to the scorpions IIRC.

I've heard the story a dozen different ways. But I confess, the Gilmore Girls telling of it is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    I'm not going to defend Sampson's actions, however, I need some clarification. Are the NCAA infractions proven or alleged? Is the investigation completely concluded with all parties having the opportunity for defense?

As Duke fans, we don't need reminded that due course should be followed prior to conclusions. This is not a criminal investigation and is an order of magnitude less than the LAX case, however, shouldn't similar principles apply? Of course, due process may have been followed and the allegations completely followed through to conclusions.

I don't have enough information. Anyone?

On another note, it's a sad day for IU and I hope they get their house in order soon.
    you only have the right to due process with respect to the government. indiana had no legal obligation to give it here. the school did its investigation and concluded it had enough info on sampson. he may or may not have been able to argue his side but it is immaterial.

jason, the answer to your question is pond scum. i stated earlier that the ncaa should throw the book at both indiana and sampson. he should be banned for 5 years and the school should be banned from the post season for at least 2 years. after seeing harrick get re-hired by georgia when it was clear he was a crook, it wouldn't surprise me if sampson eventually surfaces somewhere.

IU punishment

I still think IU needs to be punished. It was reported that the redacted name on the report is Gordon's and thus the impermissible calls directly benefited IU by giving IU's staff additional contact with a recruit they stole from Illinois.

IU has greatly benefited from Gordon, and thus from Sampson's illegal conduct. Indiana would not be having such a good season but for the illegal conduct. Indiana hired a coach who had already been found guilty of the same conduct. Indiana should have suspected something when such a high profile recruit reneged on an oral commitment to a rival school. Indiana made a deal with the devil and should pay the price.

IU has 5 seniors and Gordon that will not be back. 4 HS seniors have signed LOIs. I think those kids should be allowed to have the schollies they have been promised. Limiting IU to 4 or 5 schollies over the next 2 years as well as some serious probation sounds right to me.

I don't think IU's punishment will be as bad as some of you have intimated. The school self-reported their initial findings and Sampson lied to them and the NCAA during that process. The NCAA furthered the investigation and uncovered some untruths. Keep in mind that these weren't bags of money in the mailbox or stealing a committed recruit (I don't think Gordon was one of the ones he called). It was more of a parole violation because of his previous problems with phone use.

Also it doesn't hurt that Miles Brand (previous IU AD) is the current president of the NCAA.

Earlier on this thread I tried to start a pool as to when Sampson would get hired as a BB coach. Any takers now?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Earlier on this thread I tried to start a pool as to when Sampson would get hired as a BB coach. Any takers now?
    I'm guessing no sooner than 18 months.

I would say a little more than 13 months. He'll spend next season out of the picture and but will land something at a small school shortly after postseason play of next year. I guess that is why he needed the $750k.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how the NCAA could touch his salary.

IU? There's a story about a flood in the woods. A scorpion (sometimes a snake) talks himself onto a boat of rabbits by promising it's not going to eat anyone it just wants to avoid drowning. When the boat safely reaches shore, the scorpion starts eating a rabbit. The rabbit screams "but you promised you wouldn't eat us." The scorpion responds, "oh, stop crying. You knew what I was when you let me on the boat."

IU knew they were letting a scorpion on the boat.
    A scorpion eating a rabbit? Must be a pretty big scorpion.

You are right that the administrators at IU should have known better. Not everything that is the opposite of Knight is good. I do feel sorry for those IU fans who were suspicious of this move from the beginning and for the direction that this great program has taken.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post

Isn't that in Kill Bill?
    I can't remember if it's in Kill Bill, but I'm pretty sure there is a version in Natural Born Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    I don't think IU's punishment will be as bad as some of you have intimated. ... Keep in mind that these weren't bags of money in the mailbox or stealing a committed recruit (I don't think Gordon was one of the ones he called). ...

Also it doesn't hurt that Miles Brand (previous IU AD) is the current president of the NCAA.
    I think Brand was the IU President. He would not have hired someone on probation. I don't think he will hesitate to spank IU's basketball program, if only to put it in its place. He thinks basketball received too much emphasis compared to education.

There was one name redacted on the published version of the NCAA letter to IU detailing the major violations, it is understood that the redacted name is a current IU freshman as the unredacted names are recruits that did not choose IU. Skip Bayless reported that a source of his told him that name was Gordon's. Of this year's freshmen, which was most likely to be the target of the illegal calls, the ones that had already committed or the one who had to be convinced to renege on his commitment to Illinois?

This is a case of stealing a committed recruit. IU applauded something that appalled the rest of the nation. IU is sorry the coach was stupid enough to get caught, but the coach simply did what IU knew he had done before. It won't be a slap on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    By the title of this thread, I thought you were going to defend him. I was curious to see how that was possible, and I agree it isn't.
    The title's been changed a few times to keep up with events.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine