Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Kelvin Sampson Suspended

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

maybe somebody should just keep Kelvin Sampson away from telephones...

any bets on how long it takes somebody to point out that this would never have happened with Bob Knight?
    I'm giving an over/under of 2.5 posts...

of course wouldn't it be nice if Indiana could find a coach that just didn't embarrass the program and still won games?

This would never have happened with Bob Knight... there. haha

One would think that a coach who had suffered NCAA sanctions would never be hired by a second or third school -- yet it happens all the time. Makes one wonder about the integrity of certain colleges/universities. Anybody want to hire the Herricks?

Rmk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Is it a coincidence that he became available just as it becomes public that IU may have reason to part ways with its bb coach?

I doubt that would happen

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is it a coincidence that he became available just as it becomes public that IU may have reason to part ways with its bb coach?

I can't imagine Indiana offering Knight the job again. It would be even less likely, in my opinion, for Knight to accept. I think there's an awful lot of bad feelings remaining in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    maybe somebody should just keep Kelvin Sampson away from telephones...
    What in the world does he have to talk to them about? I heard on ESPN Radio that it was over 500 phone calls at OU that he was caught for. 500 phone calls!?! What is so important that you need to make over 500 calls?

Bob Knight would sooner have Myles Brand kick him in the crotch (not figuratively this time) than he go back to Indiana...

I think that to many Indiana supporters, this feels the same way as it would to us if it had happened at Duke. My uncle is an IU alum and big supporter and every time I've talked basketball with him since Sampson was hired, he has talked about how much he opposed the hire because of the previous violations and voiced his concern to whoever he could reach about it. Knight may have been controversial, but Indiana has taken pride in having a historically clean program, and I'm sure that IU people who didn't want Sampson because of his past are in serious "I told you so" mode right now and have to be really ticked off. If a school takes pride in being above this kind of crap and doing things the right way, then it simply cannot roll the dice with who it hires to run its program.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

any bets on how long it takes somebody to point out that this would never have happened with Bob Knight?
    I'm giving an over/under of 2.5 posts...
    well you just did point it out, so how about an over/under of 0.5

seriously tho, this guy is ridiculous. i hate dirty coaches. and dean smith.

yeah, he would have hit 'em with the phone...haha

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    well you just did point it out, so how about an over/under of 0.5

seriously tho, this guy is ridiculous. i hate dirty coaches. and dean smith.
    what's the difference?

Dean Smith

Not really sure you can call Dean a "dirty" coach. Irritating and whiny, yes. And as much as I hate Carolina BB and disliked Dean as a coach, I respected the hell out of him as a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    I think that to many Indiana supporters, this feels the same way as it would to us if it had happened at Duke. My uncle is an IU alum and big supporter and every time I've talked basketball with him since Sampson was hired, he has talked about how much he opposed the hire because of the previous violations and voiced his concern to whoever he could reach about it. Knight may have been controversial, but Indiana has taken pride in having a historically clean program, and I'm sure that IU people who didn't want Sampson because of his past are in serious "I told you so" mode right now and have to be really ticked off. If a school takes pride in being above this kind of crap and doing things the right way, then it simply cannot roll the dice with who it hires to run its program.
    I absolutely agree with this. Both my parents are IU alums and I grew up in Indiana as a fan. Almost everyone loved Bob Knight (despite some of his issues) and hated to see him go. When Sampson was brought in, there was quite a bit of outrage about the hire because of the pride in the program. I recall Bob Kravitz of the Indy Star absolutely ripping IU for the hire. I would say I'm surprised, but I always thought Sampson was a jerk. I'm very sad for the IU alums/fans right now, but the administration is going to get what they deserve (I hope).

This would never have happened with Mike Davis... there. haha
    Variety is the spice of life.

I'm glad we never even interviewed Rick Neuheisel.

Myles Brand

Bob Knight would sooner have Myles Brand kick him in the crotch (not figuratively this time) than he go back to Indiana...
    Didn't he make a motion back in like 01 to get rid of intercollegiate athletic competition?

plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by dynastydefender View Post
    Didn't he make a motion back in like 01 to get rid of intercollegiate athletic competition?
    this can't hurt us with plumlee if IU was one of his top choices. I am not out there hoping other schools get in trouble but since Sampson dug his own hole... Wasn't Plumlee looking at IU?

Gut check time for IU. Any guts at all and this clown is gone by the weekend.

Problem is, this is IU's best team since 02 at the absolute minimum (probably longer). Legitimate Final 4 threat. They'll probably try and drag it out under the auspices of "due process" to see how far they can ride Gordon before he goes pro.

I remember Knight suspending Alford for the Kentucky game over a charity calendar he posed for. Hard to see Kelvin doing something like that.

IU basketball has fallen a long, long way. Hope Kelvin's ready for his remaining trips on the road this year. Izzone will be particularly brutal. College basketball needs this guy gone.

dukemsu

Rumor is Sampson is gone on Friday. Indiana wants him gone before he takes this talented team deep and has a harder time firing him. (Doesn't make sense to me. cheating is cheating... but that's the rumor).

I agree this is a very, very good IU team, but there is no excuse in holding on to Sampson (except, of course, PC!). If they could dump the best coach, they can certainly dump a cheater.
    Last edited by mgtr; 02-14-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Misspelled word