Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bill Simmons, misguided dittohead

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...yDate=20080220

He suggests the Rockets make a trade that includes Shane Battier, and reasons:

"So what if Battier went to Duke? You can't hold that against him. He didn't know any better when he signed there."

Hmmm. Naismith POY award? Check. National Championship? Check. Seems like he knew pretty well what he was doing.

There's a contact link on the page above in case anyone wants to suggest Simmons doesn't know what he's talking about.

how wise and profound.

The anti-Duke contingent focuses on a cluster of personality traits that center around hubris, condescension, arrogance, wealth, presumption, entitlement, etc. Once they believe that Duke basketball players, coaches, students, and fans embody there traits, every Scheyer smile or K grimace feeds their viewpoint.

Simmons takes shots at Duke pretty regularly. He doesn't try to hide the fact that he dislikes the team. At least he's honest and (usually) clever about it.

He's had a ton of nice things to say about individual Duke alums (particularly Battier) over the years, though.

He's just an idiot...("Idiot" was originally created to refer to "layman, person lacking professional skill", "person so mentally deficient as to be incapable of ordinary reasoning")

Simmons loves the attention we give him. Another short guy with no skills.

Stop the presses...someone made an Anti-Duke slur . Just remember, people don't hate losers.

I've been reading The Sports Guy since 2000 and usually find it to be a decent read.

Quote Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
    Stop the presses...someone made an Anti-Duke slur . Just remember, people don't hate losers.

I've been reading The Sports Guy since 2000 and usually find it to be a decent read.
    Wow... I'm suprised that you've been able to stick around that long. I will admit that I found his columns enjoyable for a few years, but he is pretty much mailing it in now. I mean he runs the same columns over and over and over again. He does NOTHING original anymore, and his move to LA so that he oculd write for Kimmel only to be fired is utterly pathetic. His whole deal was that he was a loooooong suffering Boston fan... so what is he now? A Boston fan with 2 World Series rings, 3 Super Bowls and one of the best teams in the NBA. Cry me a river. Consequently he's got so little to write about (NBA stock report, picking NFL games) that he's enlisted his wife to jazz up his columns. Its like when a sitcom is dying and they bring the cute little blond kid in to save the show.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Wow... I'm suprised that you've been able to stick around that long. I will admit that I found his columns enjoyable for a few years, but he is pretty much mailing it in now. I mean he runs the same columns over and over and over again. He does NOTHING original anymore, and his move to LA so that he oculd write for Kimmel only to be fired is utterly pathetic. His whole deal was that he was a loooooong suffering Boston fan... so what is he now? A Boston fan with 2 World Series rings, 3 Super Bowls and one of the best teams in the NBA. Cry me a river. Consequently he's got so little to write about (NBA stock report, picking NFL games) that he's enlisted his wife to jazz up his columns. Its like when a sitcom is dying and they bring the cute little blond kid in to save the show.

I hit the print button and take it to the crapper. Its normally just meaningless ramblings on the sports/pop culture world - but there is some humor added in. If you're expecting anything more, then you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Agreed. He was at his best when his style was fresh and new, and when you could tolerate his Boston biases (because the Boston teams stunk). Then, the Pats became a dynasty, the Sawks got really good, and he showed his gloating colors. At the same time, his schtick got old.

And his column was always better when it relied more on pop-culture references weaved into sports, and less on the actual sports. Mainly because he's not a good analyst of sports (just a fan) and because as soon as he starts talking about sports his New England bias comes out.

I liked him in his early days on ESPN. But it's been since about 2004 since I've found him interesting.

Simmons takes shots at just about everyone, including himself, for the sake of humor. Nothing to really get indignant about.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...yDate=20080220

He suggests the Rockets make a trade that includes Shane Battier, and reasons:

"So what if Battier went to Duke? You can't hold that against him. He didn't know any better when he signed there."

Hmmm. Naismith POY award? Check. National Championship? Check. Seems like he knew pretty well what he was doing.

There's a contact link on the page above in case anyone wants to suggest Simmons doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Simmons is a huge NBA fan and by his own admission just started following basketball last year because his Celtics were going to get a high lottery pick. He mentioned in a column last year that if you are going to follow college basketball, then you have to decide if you are going to love or hate Duke. He arbitrarily decided to hate them and thus puts a dig in every now and then for humors sake. He is a huge Battier and Boozer fan (though he does ping Boozer for bailing on Cleveland). I wouldn't put much stock in what he says about Duke as he tends to like the players, but decided to root against the school.

Totally agree with MulletMan and CDdu's takes on Simmons. I used to like his columns a lot but he's a has-been and a douchebag now. Well, he was always a douchebag but it's easier to see it when you don't respect the writing.

Jumped the Shark

Literally. He was wearing a leather jacket in Vegas and jumped over Jerry Tarkanian who was passed out face down in a puddle.

If you love Boston area frat boys and their fave teams, then Simmons is your guy...tolerable to have a beer with once in a while, and he can even make you laugh on occasion. But any extended time with the guy is venal.

And the (very few) friends he has that follow college basketball tend to be Carolina fans, so he's a bandwagon Duke hater. His take on the Henderson/Hans incident last year was aggressively stupid to the point of being inflammatory.

Living in Boston, I'm (quite unfortunately) knowledgeable about the unique sense of cloddish entitlement and overbearing self-pity New England area sports fans have, so I find Simmons' popularity particularly appalling. So much so that I admit to having read his post Super Bowl column with a great deal of joy.

for some reason, I get the feeling that some of you are jealous of Simmons' job.

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    for some reason, I get the feeling that some of you are jealous of Simmons' job.
    No, no, no. What you are seeing is the typical bitterness of the disillusioned fan that's still upset about their favorite artist selling out. Jealousy doesn't really enter into it.

http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork...ibs/sports-guy

Here's a mad lib to create a typical Bill Simmons article. Spot on.

Guess you guys missed this part:

"You could always use Shane Battier on your team."

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post

Not me. If I were one of the multitude of sheep wearing a Red Sox cap, a BU/UMass/UConn hoodie, and carrying a large Dunkin Donuts coffee around everywhere...then yeah, he's my idol.