Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Was this thread started with 15 minutes left in regulation? Nice comeback attempt, but let's face it - no way we deserved this win.

Forget about the offense, just forget about it. Our defense is absolutely terrible right now. We don't appear to be capable of manning up on anybody right now and the help side is simply not there. Interesting that both Wake and Miami are very similar teams in terms of makeup, and we were thoroughly outplayed by both. Also hurts that these are both non-ncaa teams, however we don't seem to be able to match up physically with this much size and speed.

Been a long time since I've seen our defense play this poorly. We look like unc did earlier this season.
    We certainly played poorly for the vast majority of the game. Nolan looked like he didn't know what sport he was playing against the match-up zone. Greg looked great when he hit the three early in the first half, then tanked. Where in heck is the Captain when you need him? He has been consistently making bad decisions through the last two games... starting out with a charge made me groan.

Good points:

Zoubek played the best game of his career and made a different while he was in. He may give us at least a little credibility in the paint.

Jon came from a no score in the Wake game to a career high here...

Lance was great... what a shame that he fouled out.

But (and here is the disagreement) if we had been able to come back with 2 more points, we sure would have deserved the win.

IMHO, once it became apparent that we couldn't stop Collins, much was lost. But what worried me much more was the complete lack of Duke zest and enthusiasm for the first 3/4 of the game... no one diving for loose balls, no steals, no (or almost no) turnovers. We seem to have gone from a turnover causing team to a turning it over a lot team.

Why? Are the guys tired? And what in heck happened to Singler?
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    Like it or not - deserve the game or not - Paulus doesn't take that horrendous shot at the end - and we had much much better shot at actually pulling off a 20 from behind victory.

Still a team effort in the loss - but that shot erased some hard work (in a way).

Let's not forget that horrible spinning-behind the back dribble/bobble that wasted about 5-7 crucial seconds at the end of the game.

It took us too long to get going. Positives Jon was huge offensively with 27 pts and basically shot lights out in the second half. The Captain came on strong as well with 19 pts. and 10 reb. Where was Nolan tonight? Dissapointing loss but good to see Jon get back on track. We'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Turnovers. Lots and lots of turnovers.
    Thanks. Very disappointing to hear after the last game.

Sounds like this was a good one not to have been able to see on TV.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

5. Hill vs Lakers

Let's all view something positive! Hill is on the floor in the closing two minutes as the Suns are down by 2 at home vs Lakers. Go Suns!

I didn't see one second of the game (at freaking work). Did Nelson and Henderson get beat off the bounce at will or were they coming over to help? I know Greg isn't the worlds quickest point but certainly Duke's wings should be able to hold their own, shouldn't they?

Is fronting the post a crazy notion?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post

IMHO, once it became apparent that we couldn't stop Collins, much was lost.
    Collins played a huge role late in the game. The final score may very well have been different had he not played the game of his life.

The problem is, people tend to play the game of their lives against Duke.

The great Duke teams were always able to turn up the heat by themselves and did not need Coach K to help them. I can't explain why Coach seems so passive, but maybe he is trying/hoping that the team will learn how to turn up the heat without his help. We still have a young team and it looks as if they have hit the wall. ACC coaches have found their weak spot and will use it against them for the rest of the year. Who is going to step up? Coach might be trying to get someone to do so on their own.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    On the plus side, I think we were looking more like the team we were two weeks ago, at the end of the game, it just came too late.
    Even though we came up a point short I was happy to see the fight at the end, I just wish if would have come about 30 minutes sooner. I also was happy to see the Jon's shot came back.

when was the last time we lost back to back regular season games?

I'm heartbroken.

I do know that it's just a regular game and we've fought back admirably.
    Much of the horror came from the flashes of last year.
    Everything reminded me of last year's late debacle.
    We fell apart after losing 4 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    when was the last time we lost back to back games?
    Last year.

Giving up 96 points is a huge defensive lapse. Granted, Miami played very well through most of the game. They hit some very difficult shots, but what killed us in my view was their guards breaking us down and feeding a post player for a point-blank shot. When Zoubek is in, that really takes away a lot of that because he covers so much space in the low post. He played about 15 minutes and had only one foul.

However, on the offensive side we don't yet seem to have a very good rhythm or chemistry with Brian in there, as it seems the guards don't know whether to try to feed Z on the low block (resulted in some turnovers tonight with bad entry passes) or just run the drive and kick-out for 3 that has worked so well for us when we're hitting our 3s (and Henderson is 100%).

The team did, as Packer suggested, seem panicked when the shots weren't falling which was probably a result of the Wake loss, causing them to press too much.

They need to figure out for the first time how to integrate Z as a weapon on the low block for offense. That will depend on further development by Brian, and learning to sense when he's well covered and should pass out for a 3 and when to make a move to the basket. I don't see how we can go really deep in March without some sort of low post offensive threat from Z because I'm not confident we can be hot from the 3 pt line for 6 games in a row against tournament-quality teams.

I hate the way the team came out for the second half. That used to be Duke time, but we haven't been able to match the enthusiasm of Wake or Miami. Would love to see a line up change for St. Johns. Zoubek might have earned a start with his play.

when was the last time we lost back to back games?
    Last year we lost 4 in a row on two occasions. Not too long ago! But I am glad to hear that you put that season behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Last year.

oops i edited, still the same answer?

Quote Originally Posted by HoganLake View Post
    The great Duke teams were always able to turn up the heat by themselves and did not need Coach K to help them. I can't explain why Coach seems so passive, but maybe he is trying/hoping that the team will learn how to turn up the heat without his help. We still have a young team and it looks as if they have hit the wall. ACC coaches have found their weak spot and will use it against them for the rest of the year. Who is going to step up? Coach might be trying to get someone to do so on their own.
    If you have ever read Five Point Play, I believe you'll see that Coach K often had to use some motovational tactics with his great '01 team, some including signs of the word attack all over a bathroom, and One Shining Moment videos. He also had to get them going during the tournament game against UCLA.

I do not believe they have 'hit the wall'. Every Duke team for the past couple of years has lost 2 in a row.

oops i edited, still the same answer?
    Yea, last year was kinda crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    Last year we lost 4 in a row on two occasions. Not too long ago! But I am glad to hear that you put that season behind you!

oh, thats long gone brother

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    some including signs of the word attack all over a bathroom

now thats scary

seriously, I would hate to be at practice Thurs.