Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Duke at Miami post-game thread

Willie Williams was not arraigned during the making of this thread.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Where was that last second shot during regulation?!

On the plus side, I think we were looking more like the team we were two weeks ago, at the end of the game, it just came too late.

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    C'mon, you don't really expect the geniuses at Raycom to actually show the entire game, wire-to-wire, do you? They can't even maintain an HD broadcast for 2 hours, or ensure that you can hear their impartial commentators. Besides, it's much more important for them to show you every single Food Lion commercial ever made.

5. I still like the way we closed the game. But one more loss (or unconvincing win) will be too much given our hopes and expectations.

well all i saw was the last 8 minutes on the channelsurfer site so i'm gonna say we played great and just forget about what happened before that...we get too riled up about the reg season anyways

So painful. Regardless of the foul shots at the end of the game, we should not be giving up 96 to Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    On the plus side, I think we were looking more like the team we were two weeks ago, at the end of the game, it just came too late.
    agree, i only saw the last 12 minutes though. although part of that was due to miami's lack of knowing what to do. Not taking anything away from duke because that was almost a hell of a comeback.

Positives:

- Free throw shooting was MUCH improved
    - Zoubek played well
    - Lance Thomas showed some fire and intensity and played well
    - Scheyer played out of his mind
    - Great show of moxie coming back from 20 down

Negatives:

- killed again inside - we make anyone over 6'9" look like Shaq
    - killed off the drives
    - didn't handle the physical play too well
    - bad decisions, bad shot selection
    - Paulus, Nelson played awful
    - Billy Packer

As someone said in the in-game thread, we got a Duhon shot, not a Dock shot.

Tomorrow is going to be an exceptionally long day

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    It looked like Demarcus from about 5 feet inside of half court. It was meaningless as it came at the buzzer with us down 4.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It looked like Demarcus from about 5 feet inside of half court. It was meaningless as it came at the buzzer with us down 4.
    Made me feel better. 1 point loss is much better than a 20 point beatdown.

14. Revelation???

As crazy as it sounds, I think still think this team may have something. Think about it - we were down by 20 late, and only lost by 1. True, not a victory, but still something to believe in.

I know this team will come back. We may not be F-4 bound, but I still think we can be.

Was this thread started with 15 minutes left in regulation? Nice comeback attempt, but let's face it - no way we deserved this win.

Forget about the offense, just forget about it. Our defense is absolutely terrible right now. We don't appear to be capable of manning up on anybody right now and the help side is simply not there. Interesting that both Wake and Miami are very similar teams in terms of makeup, and we were thoroughly outplayed by both. Also hurts that these are both non-ncaa teams, however we don't seem to be able to match up physically with this much size and speed.

Been a long time since I've seen our defense play this poorly. We look like unc did earlier this season.

Ugh

For most of the game we looked like a poorly-coached HIGH SCHOOL team out there! Driving into the teeth of the zone defense from 18-20 feet, making really bad cross-court passes (essentially trying to thread it through the middle of the zone) and then...while we made a high % of our FT's, we couldn't hit some key ones at the end. Quick aside, will someone PLEASE tell DeMarcus Nelson to just once, just ONCE try to hit the back of the damn rim!?! I don't care whether it goes in or not, but I simply cannot stand to see a Duke senior CAPTAIN continue to shoot air balls and hit the front of the rim. I simply cannot believe that he is still such a poor FT shooter at this point in his career.

Man, I hate games like this. We looked like we were done, toast, shredded wheat and then...we battled back...would get a key stop, rebound or turnover...come down to the other end and...turn it right back over

UGH!

When was the last time a loss felt this GOOD?

After hitting what I would consider the season low-point at about the 10 minute mark of the second half, down by 20, all I wanted was some quality play from the team. And they showed what they're made of at the end of this game. A loss is a loss and never particularly fun, but I'm surprisingly satisfied right now. I think the team fought their way back admirably and have maybe rediscovered what they do well. Drive and dish.

We're tied for first place and in complete control of our own destiny. Next play.

Smith?

Did Nolan not play many minutes - looking at the boxscore here? If so, why not?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Was this thread started with 15 minutes left in regulation? Nice comeback attempt, but let's face it - no way we deserved this win.

Forget about the offense, just forget about it. Our defense is absolutely terrible right now. We don't appear to be capable of manning up on anybody right now the help side is simply not there. Interesting that both Wake and Miami are very similar teams in terms of makeup, and we were thoroughly outplayed by both. Also hurts that these are both non-ncaa teams, however we don't seem to be able to match up physically with this much size and speed.

Been a long time since I've seen our defense play this poorly. We look like unc did earlier this season.
    Both of these teams are looking like they're headed to the NCAAs with a couple more wins, so I can't complain.

Miami started the season 12-0.

Nelson pulled a Chris-Duhon-against-UConn-2004.