Boynton and Knight

If He Know What He’s Talking About, This Is Good News
    by DBR, February 20th, 2008 | Recruiting |
    We don’t know what this guy knows or what he bases his comments on, but he says Kenny Boynton looks like he’s headed to Duke.
    I have no idea whether Boynton is in fact headed to Duke, but I live in Ft. Lauderdale and read Ethan Skolnick in the Sun-Sentinel. He's a very good young sports reporter. That said, I haven't seen him write anything about Boynton going to Duke in the paper, so let's see if he's willing to go out on that limb.

Over the last three weeks, teams featuring two of the top high school players in the country, Kenny Boynton (junior from American Heritage) and Brandon Knight (sophomore from Pine Crest) have played three classic games -- one regular season, one in the Districts, and last night in the (Florida state) Regionals. Knight's Pine Crest has won all three, but these two guys have each put on a show each time, scoring a combined 60-70 points between them in each.

Boynton has a little bit of Johnny Dawkins in him, albeit right-handed: very quick, great ballhandler, pure shooter from the outside. Knight, to my eyes, is more of the Grant Hill model: smooth, can drive, shoot from the outside, steal and rebound. Watching these games, I'm hoping I'm seeing Duke's backcourt in 2010-11.

I don't know directly about Boynton's academics, but the universal word in the area is that Knight is an excellent student, at the toughest academic school in the area -- perfect Duke material.

Side note: The eighth grade basketball coach at Pine Crest, Knight's school? Bobby Hurley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post

Side note: The eighth grade basketball coach at Pine Crest, Knight's school? Bobby Hurley.
    Thanks for the post.
    While I do realize that Knight could go to pretty much any school that's interested in him, it is very interesting to realize Bobby Hurley coached his eigth grade team.

The more I hear about Knight, the more I'd like Duke to go after him and get him.

I actually think I'd prefer Knight to Boynton if we could only land one of the two. Hopefully there's a chance we could somehow land both. What a backcourt.

While I do realize that Knight could go to pretty much any school that's interested in him, it is very interesting to realize Bobby Hurley coached his eigth grade team.
    While I could assume Hurley and Knight have a relationship of some sort just from being around campus, Bobby never coached Knight for Pine Crest. Knight was so good he was playing varsity in 8th grade.

Our backcourt could be stacked when Knight is a freshman. There could be Knight, Boynton, McDonald, Smith, Williams, and King as a 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan47 View Post
    Our backcourt could be stacked when Knight is a freshman. There could be Knight, Boynton, McDonald, Smith, Williams, and King as a 3.
    King will never, ever play a "3" in Duke's system.

Brandon Knight does not need to worry about competition. He is that good.

If we had the backcourt you indicate his freshman year he would still be a very valuable player for the team. Those 5 kids would rotate in the 3 backcourt positions and would all see significant minutes and major roles in the team's overall plan. We have 5 backcourt studs (Paulus, Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer, Smith) on our current team and they all see significant minutes. I think each of them has taken a turn leading us in scoring at various times this year.

When you are highly skilled and work hard, playing time is not an issue at Duke.

--Jason "whew, would I love to see all those dudes in a Duke uniform at the same time!" Evans

When Brandon Knight was coming back from his injury earlier this year people said that Duke was interested (for obvious reasons). However, scout.com, lists only UConn and Florida. Why isn't Duke listed as a team of interest? I am pretty positive that his list has been updated in the last couple of months.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3209418

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    When Brandon Knight was coming back from his injury earlier this year people said that Duke was interested (for obvious reasons). However, scout.com, lists only UConn and Florida. Why isn't Duke listed as a team of interest? I am pretty positive that his list has been updated in the last couple of months.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3209418
    Duke does not always seriously recruit until after their sophomore seasons unless I suppose the player is really good and really interested. Duke is in a position where they can afford to wait and see how these teenagers will develop. Scout.com also does not offer the most reliable information, sometimes people just don't know anything until a official visit is scheduled. While I do think that it is interesting to speculate about Knight, I would like to see Duke secure its '09 recruits before moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan47 View Post
    That would be a very impressive backcourt. Senior leadership in Smith(who should be an absolute stud by the time he's a senior).

The rest i cant comment on since they are still in Highschool.

However, I doubt we get those 3(McDonald, Boynton and Knight). I say we get 2 or 3. Boynton I honestly believe will be wearing a Duke uni. However its a little more tricky with McDonald.. We have one of his best friends coming in(Elliot Williams), but kind of started late recruiting(atleast offered later then most). As far as Knight.. The only thing I know is he is one of the best High School guards right now. Have no idea how his recruitment will shape up.

I know at least in the fall, Boyton really loved Duke. Not too sure where he's leaning now. He has been seen at several Miami games, and with them improving... who knows.

As for Knight, I know Florida has already offered him. Most believe they are the team to beat.

Who knows.

It is my understanding that Duke has offered both Boynton and Knight.

Johnny Dawkins was at the last Pine Crest/American Heritage game to watch both.

Once again, Knight showed why he is a better team player. Boynton, with great coaching, may get to the same level. But Knight is at that level now.

From what I have heard about Knight is that his grades (straight A's at the most demanding academic school in Florida) and PSAT scores are so outstanding that he may be a National Merit Finalist, and easily would be awarded a full academic scholarship at almost any school in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dlisted1 View Post
    It is my understanding that Duke has offered both Boynton and Knight.

Johnny Dawkins was at the last Pine Crest/American Heritage game to watch both.

Once again, Knight showed why he is a better team player. Boynton, with great coaching, may get to the same level. But Knight is at that level now.

From what I have heard about Knight is that his grades (straight A's at the most demanding academic school in Florida) and PSAT scores are so outstanding that he may be a National Merit Finalist, and easily would be awarded a full academic scholarship at almost any school in the country.
    Any sources to cite that we offered Knight?