Why I Hate the Dog Gack Orange

I can't claim credit for the term, "Dog Gack Orange;" credit goes to the venerable Buddy Womble, who came up with that moniker for the utk vols over 11 years ago. But, while living amongst them has meant being further away from our beloved Duke Blue, it has also blessedly meant being further away from the heels.

But now, I think I'm living in some evil Chapel Hill alternative universe. Which is worse? Being around the heels, who at least have a basketball history and an understanding of the game, or being around these people who know nothing...and now TAUNT ME? (Is there anything worse than a bandwagon fan?) And I have never said anything to them about anything. NEVER. Nothing about Duke's football wins over the viles, much less anything about Steve Spurrier repeatedly whipping their football asses; nothing about Duke women beating the vol women; nothing about any number of humiliations they have suffered over the years. NOTHING. ANd yet now they taunt me about "how does it feel for the [dog gack orange] to be No. 2?"

So, that being said, here's why I hate the dog gack orange.

Bruce Pearl (as if he won't leave when he gets a big offer, although the dog gacks believe him when he says he'll stay); Pat Summit (need I say more); the constant deification of Pat Summit; Rocky Top; people who are at the mall wearing dog gack orange while football games are televised (I'll never understand that, something about lemming mentality, I suppose); being taunted at a dog gack - DUKE football game (I mean, COME ON); the radio call-in show; did I say Rocky Top?; overnight basketball geniuses; ancient football national championship state license plates; the inability to go to any decent restaurants on game day. I'm sure there's more if I think about it. OH yeah. None of them ever say anything to me about big Duke wins; nada.

(On the good side, there's something right about a program that has a real dog as a mascot, and Candace Parker has an awesome boyfriend. Their marching band rocks, too.)

As for that taunting thing? May the woof gods hear my plea.

Thanks everyone; I feel better now.

ABF

You poor soul. Seeing Cousin Brucie's mug on the sports pages every day would be sick-making.
    Maybe it's time to consider a career move. Ugh.

With all due respect to ABF: this is in some ways, like comparing which disease is worse. Or how you'd like to be tortured (yeah, I prefer water-boarding to being electrocuted) - said tongue-in-cheek of course...

There's no doubt that having to put up with the awfulness that is UT orange (and all that goes with it) is a trial.

No one of right mind and basketball/sports rooting inclination would wish having to deal with UT on anyone. But then no one would wish having to deal with UNC puke blue on anyone either.

In the end, I think that all of us can agree (at least those of us who are good and decent and pure and bleed Duke blue) that everyone else is wrong and we are right. And we just feel pity for the others.

As a fellow Duke grad suffering in SEC-land I would really have to say Vols fans are worse. As you pointed out, at least when Carolina fans taunt and preen, they generally know what they're talking about and they have the creds to back it up. (note I said generally - I'm not counting the bandwagon-jumpers or the people who wear tarheel blue for gang-related reasons)

But if there's one thing that drives me *bananas*, it's SEC basketball fans. Hear ye, hear ye, good people of Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Louisiana: the SEC is not a basketball conference. It's not even close. Merely because you win one good game playing against each other or have one good season and then do kinda well in the NCAA, this does not make you a quote, unquote "dynasty". A "dynasty" would be a program where the students love basketball, where at least 3 national titles have been won, dozens of conference titles, several national coach of the year awards, and several National Player of the year awards all over a period of decades, not months.

I especially hate the new me-too, me-too trend of tenting that's cropped up at several schools in our state. I cannot tell you how many students have informed me that their 8-hour tent-outs are "crazier than Duke's". How in the double-hockey stick would you know? Have you been to Duke? And how insanely "crazy" can it possibly get when you only camp for 8 hours, 6 of them during daylight?? And if you haaay-yaaate Duke so much, what difference does it make anyway?

Sorry to unleash my latent hostility, but it's enough to make a girl long to return to North Carolina. I have a stress squeezer that I carry around with me during basketball season just in case anyone starts talking about their "dominance".

Grow up and get used to it. Florida (SEC) just went back to back, and since Wooden, it's only been them and Duke. Florida's football team is pretty good too. Pearl has been great for Vol basketball - what's wrong with showing a little enthusiasm? Or a lot? Good for him, I say. They're one win from a #1 ranking. And like her stone-cold stare or not (she scares me), Summit is a consummate coach.

I'm an ACC guy, and I'd prefer the ACC to do well. But you have to be big enough to admit when some other conference has been great (esp. when it is in the bowls or tournament).

I don't know if the SEC suffers from the kind of thuggery that the expansion schools have brought to the ACC, but if they don't, that's another feather in their cap versus where we are right now. It's time to suck it up and play better.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Grow up and get used to it. Florida (SEC) just went back to back, and since Wooden, it's only been them and Duke. Florida's football team is pretty good too. Pearl has been great for Vol basketball - what's wrong with showing a little enthusiasm? Or a lot? Good for him, I say. They're one win from a #1 ranking. And like her stone-cold stare or not (she scares me), Summit is a consummate coach.

I'm an ACC guy, and I'd prefer the ACC to do well. But you have to be big enough to admit when some other conference has been great (esp. when it is in the bowls or tournament).

I don't know if the SEC suffers from the kind of thuggery that the expansion schools have brought to the ACC, but if they don't, that's another feather in their cap versus where we are right now. It's time to suck it up and play better.
    Hear-hear. I actually work at the UT Medical Center in Knoxville, and my Duke allegiance/alumnus status is no secret. Many of my partners are UT alums, and the only person who trash-talks is the nurse who has adopted UNC (poor, misguided creature). They are genuinely excited about basketball for the first time since Bernard King, and the prospect of a men's coach with some knowledge and enthusiasm is new for them. And, except for the whole Hornbuckle/Crazies debacle, it's pretty hard not to respect Pat Summitt.

Granted, I don't especially enjoy the orange, but at least it is obvious what the school color is (are we royal blue/navy blue/black/Duke blue?) and it lets fans unite. The entire town is orange on game days, which is kind of cool.

And--as has been mentioned before--it's much better than that OTHER blue.

Hate is a pretty strong word....I'm not sure I would even use that for UNC (9F!!!! GTHC, GTH!!) Although I understand where you're coming from. Their colors are ridiculous (did someone puke on them, or were they worried Jethro and Billy Bob would mistakenly come on campus hunting birds?), and Fulmer is a sorry excuse for a coach.

But the job Pearl has done at UT is nothing short of miraculous. Every college has a sport they are known for, and UT's is women's hoops. So, the fact that he was able to navigate around Pat and crew leaves me very impressed with his ability.

My guess, though, is that Bruce will be hired away at some point, leaving UT rudderless again.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    ...Fulmer is a sorry excuse for a coach...Every college has a sport they are known for, and UT's is women's hoops...
    Perhaps this was all tongue-in-cheek, but you're sorely mistaken. I'm no Tennessee fan, but Fulmer is not a "sorry excuse for a coach." He is more than 100 games over .500 as a coach at UT and has won two conference championships, seven division titles, and a national championship. He has nine 10-win seasons. He has won better than 75% of his SEC games as head coach. He also consistently churns out as much NFL talent as anyone. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of programs out there who would love to have him. You don't hang around for 15+ years at a place like UT by accident.
    And if you think Tennessee is better known for women's hoops than for football, you're crazy. In context, the hoops squad has had by far the greater degree of success (it's the benchmark program in its entire sport). But women's basketball in Knoxville is essentially a nice diversion while people wait for spring practice.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Perhaps this was all tongue-in-cheek, but you're sorely mistaken. I'm no Tennessee fan, but Fulmer is not a "sorry excuse for a coach." He is more than 100 games over .500 as a coach at UT and has won two conference championships, seven division titles, and a national championship. He has nine 10-win seasons. He has won better than 75% of his SEC games as head coach. He also consistently churns out as much NFL talent as anyone. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of programs out there who would love to have him. You don't hang around for 15+ years at a place like UT by accident.
    And if you think Tennessee is better known for women's hoops than for football, you're crazy. In context, the hoops squad has had by far the greater degree of success (it's the benchmark program in its entire sport). But women's basketball in Knoxville is essentially a nice diversion while people wait for spring practice.
    Hey...take it easy, take it easy. I was just joking around (I should have added a smiley face or something). Several of my friends, including my Father-In-Law, are UT grads, so I am well aware of Fulmer's successes. Although I will say, most of them would have loved for UT to have had a miserable season last year, in order to invite Fulmer to leave. Unfortunately, they were able to stumble into the SEC Title game, which saved his job, in their collective viewpoint.

I know he's been successful, but all is not rosy in UT Football country.