Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    K totally baited Roy here, and Roy was silly enough to take it. Not that K doesn't have a good sense of humor, but I don't think it gets put on display often enough.

What I really want to know is whether K thought Roy would jump on this. Whatever the prediction, I can't imagine he thought Roy would make a complete a** out of himself in the process. Part of the fun of the story is the plausible deniability K has in the matter (except not really), whereas Roy, well...
    I'd be curious to actually hear K's quote. The inflection would give me a better idea of what he was or wasn't implying. Anyone have audio somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    K totally baited Roy here, and Roy was silly enough to take it. Not that K doesn't have a good sense of humor, but I don't think it gets put on display often enough.

What I really want to know is whether K thought Roy would jump on this. Whatever the prediction, I can't imagine he thought Roy would make a complete a** out of himself in the process. Part of the fun of the story is the plausible deniability K has in the matter (except not really), whereas Roy, well...
    I don't think K's above a little gamesmanship. It's all part of, well, the game. Deano was an absolute master, and did his best to teach Ol' Roy. (And I still miss Rick Barnes. He also played it well.)

-jk

ABC -11 RDU area

Just saw a back and forth on the local news tonight in the Triangle. They quoted K as saying Nolan Smith hyper extended his knee but you might not have known that since we dont publish our injuries...so we are proud of the way Nolan played.

Then they showed Roy's response, which DBR quotes, from his coaches show and then again today. They played the crap and damn parts...and then today he said "dadgum". Pretty funny.

Roy is such a yokel. If he werent in coaching he could be doing voiceovers for cartoons.

Gamesmanship, sure. But this sounds like a little frustration boiling to the surface to me. Good, smart coaches usually don't publicly let little things like that irk them so much if things are sunshine and roses in their own camp.

This reminds me of High School. The smart kid makes a clever insult that is inoffensive on it's surface but cutting nonetheless. In response the dumb hick tells the smart kid he's an (expletive) and to step outside. It's just an inferiority complex thing.

^ Haha.

Has anyone else heard that Lawson was medically cleared for VA Tech but his dad will not let him play until he is completely pain free out of a concern for his pro career?

If true, Roy may be feeling especially Carolina puke blue these days. Perhaps we should take it easy on the big fella.

You know what is funny, now that the Tar Heels have a coach that curses in public and does commercials, you don't hear much about how evil those two things are anymore from the unc faithful.
    Roy is fake, there isn't a genuine bone in his body. "Shucks" I even saw him drinking a "dadgum" Mountain Dew on TV not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    This reminds me of High School. The smart kid makes a clever insult that is inoffensive on it's surface but cutting nonetheless. In response the dumb hick tells the smart kid he's an (expletive) and to step outside. It's just an inferiority complex thing.
    Awesome.

Coach K may have been trying a little gamesmanship, and if so, he clearly cleaned Roy's clock.

But I didn't take the quote that way. Lots of teams, certainly including the heels, do publicize injuries more than Duke. I think Coach K was giving his guys some credit and complementing them on their toughness. And K has always downplayed injuries and challenged his team to overcome adversity. If this is the case, Roy just cleaned his own clock.

Good boy, 'ol Roy, either way!!

12. K vs Roy - Has Anyone Else Heard This?

So, I am on the way home doing my nightly routine - Listening to DG (greatest local media talent) and the callers are ranting and raving in response to recent press conferences. Evidently, Roy took disliked a comment made by Krzyzewski on Sunday that the Blue Devils don't discuss injuries "unlike other schools." Williams felt that this was a cheap shot at his team. It was enough for Roy to comment on his radio show, telling an unspecified individual to "coach their own (expletive) team, I'll coach my team." In his press conference today (for the State game) he focused again on the comments.

Rather than try to spell out the entire scenario, you can visit http://www.wral.com/sports/basketbal...story/2457731/ to view the complete story.

Anyway, MANY Tar Heels were calling into the DG show to slam K and Duke. Quite disturbing. Some Dukies were calling also, but we need more support for our team. (for what it's worth, I called in to offer my 2 pennies) GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

Distraction

The best part of all this is the distraction for UNC - Roy was being interviewed by the media Tuesday and instead of focusing on the NCSU game tomorrow, many of the questions were about "Toenailgate"

I'll be amazingly disappointed if the tipoff on March 8th isn't slightly delayed so they can clean up the thousands of pacifiers thrown on the court when Roy takes his place on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    I'll be amazingly disappointed if the tipoff on March 8th isn't slightly delayed so they can clean up the thousands of pacifiers thrown on the court when Roy takes his place on the sidelines.
    Good one!

I actually like Roy for the most part, but this one was really petty.

This is just superb work by K. He is so far under Roy's skin, and so deep into Roy's head, that it's nothing short of comical. Somewhere in the ethers, Sun Tzu (the original one, not the former DBR poster who used that name) must be chuckling proudly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

"Coach K's injury barb sets off UNC's Williams"

Wink "Coach K Remark Slammed"--Comcast Sports Article

http://www6.comcast.net/sports/artic...Coaches_.Spat/
    Apparently,one of the graduates of UNC's School of Janitorial Services(also ranked 26th in America) gained access to Comcast's home page and wrote a ,sob, wonderfully supportive article of Roy the Inferiority Case and cited UNC's injuries almost as far as the sick cat owned by the last scrub (aka "suck-up chest bumper" for anyone who actually got in the game and "keeper of Roy's granny glasses")on the end of the UNC bench. No mention of Scheyer, Pocius,Zoubs, et al.
    Best regards.

ol Roy

Oh, FITster, where art thou oh flittering one when we need you for a feature on the front page...

So really, is there a link to Coack K's audio anywhere? Was it a radio interview after the game? The exact quotation (which I still haven't figured out after reading this entire thread) and the inflection in his voice would say a lot. I don't put it past Coack K to make such a comment on a whim though, he does like to get smart with the reporters sometimes, usually it's pretty funny (and to me, still is here).