Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Manufactured K/Roy injury disclosure controversy

From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk, I don't give a crap what somebody else [Coach K] said, coach his own damn team and I'll coach my team, in case anybody has heard some statements about that. So somebody [Coach K] who talks about us publishing our injuries, they should worry about their own selves"

Commence laughter..... now.

Link?

this after roy's statements this year alluding

to our playing neutral site games rather than true road games, drawing charges, and having more mcdonald's all-americans than unc.

i have to say i find ole roy more obnoxious than i ever found dean. dean also would not have run up the score as egregiously as ole roy did on about 5 occasions last year. of course, when a coach regularly offers about 80% of the top 20 rated recruits scholarships, one has to wonder about the non-basketball criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk, I don't give a crap what somebody else [Coach K] said, coach his own damn team and I'll coach my team, in case anybody has heard some statements about that. So somebody [Coach K] who talks about us publishing our injuries, they should worry about their own selves"

you have GOT to be freakin' kidding me.
    class is ooooooooozing out of his pores on a daily basis.

From Roy's radio show:

"...in regards to what someone else [Coach K] said about they [Duke] have injuries too which is a bunch of bunk,
    Does he not believe that G injured his wrist or that Nolan hyper-extended his knee? How is that a "bunch of bunk"?

What

Is this for real, and if so what sparked this little outburst.

I'm pretty certain it is for real, but I'm trying to find a link. A buddy of mine swore he heard it on the radio.

And it was sparked by K essentially saying after the Wake loss last night, We're injured too, but we don't put it out in the press. [Taking a jab at Roy's constant injury updates]

And it was sparked by K essentially saying after the Wake loss last night, We're injured too, but we don't put it out in the press. [Taking a jab at Roy's constant injury updates]
    I heard K's postgame comments on the Duke Radio Network last night, and they didn't strike me as a jab at Roy. K was talking about Nolan's great play last night and reminded the listeners that Nolan had played through an injury for several of the games where his production was down. He was saying that just because you don't hear a report of a Duke player being injured, that doesn't mean that they are 100% healthy.

me to

I listened to the post game interview as well, and never once thought about Carolina, I thought coach was just talking about his own team.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    I heard K's postgame comments on the Duke Radio Network last night, and they didn't strike me as a jab at Roy. K was talking about Nolan's great play last night and reminded the listeners that Nolan had played through an injury for several of the games where his production was down. He was saying that just because you don't hear a report of a Duke player being injured, that doesn't mean that they are 100% healthy.
    Double entendres are great.

See you in a few months, Pratt'04.

Scoreboard.

From Roy's radio show:

no offense freedevil...but I call bullbutter...I just can't believe he would be dumb enough to say that...well, nevermind, yeah I can. Refer to his tenure at Kansas.

Verify, please

I'm pretty certain it is for real, but I'm trying to find a link. A buddy of mine swore he heard it on the radio.

Since what you've reported is from an indirect source, I'm reserving judgment until there is a link or other way to verify what was actually said.

I couldn't give a sh*t about injuries right now.

I must say, Roy is full of it. His earlier comments were CLEARLY directed at Duke, so why is he suddenly so defensive about someone saying something about his team?

That said, of course K was referring to UNC when he said Duke had injuries too.

Earlier this year there was a thread on IC talking about Roy responding to a fan's email on his radio show. The emailer asked how and if Roy was working with Tyler on passing out of double teams. Roy went on to insult the emailer in a very condescending manner, ending with he had forgotten more about basketball than the caller would ever learn.

I don't feel the same way at all about Roy as I did for Dean. I don't think there will ever be another coach as gracious as Smith who is also at the top of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    I must say, Roy is full of it. His earlier comments were CLEARLY directed at Duke, so why is he suddenly so defensive about someone saying something about his team?

That said, of course K was referring to UNC when he said Duke had injuries too.

Earlier this year there was a thread on IC talking about Roy responding to a fan's email on his radio show. The emailer asked how and if Roy was working with Tyler on passing out of double teams. Roy went on to insult the emailer in a very condescending manner, ending with he had forgotten more about basketball than the caller would ever learn.

I don't feel the same way at all about Roy as I did for Dean. I don't think there will ever be another coach as gracious as Smith who is also at the top of the game.
    I dunno. Dean wasn't exactly a patron saint either. Remember the Rick Barnes feud? Smith also used to say some snide things, not to mention I'm not 100% convinced that Dean-o didn't bend the ol' NCAA rules to build some of those Tar Heel teams.

Judging from this IC thread, it sounds like Roy did make that comment:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=78&F=...1410&t=2058750

I can't really see how he can get so upset, after making the "Duke PR" comment. Frustrating.

s.i.

Other than his over playing of his "country boy" routine, I find Roy Williams refreshing because he's willing to show more emotion than Coach K or Dean Smith tended to do. I always got the feeling that Coach K and Smith are/were major control freaks and tended to hide what they felt, excepting on the sidelines.

Williams says some goofy things, but at least you get a sense of what he's really thinking. As for this one, I don't know if I'd have brought it up unprompted, as appears to be the case, but I could see why he would want to reply to Coach K's dig (and I think it was clearly a dig at UNC's injury updates). Especially since UNC didn't really go all out to publish those reports but were responding to media interest in them.

This sort of thing is childish on the part of both coaches, but we all love the guilty pleasure of seeing the rivalry fires stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post

They're a classless bunch of yeehaws over there....

I don't see why people think K was taking a jab at UNC's injury reports when he was talking about his own team, the injuries that the UNC players had, (Lawson, Ginyard, Thompson and Green with the flu) were affecting whether or not they would play in a particular game. The injuries that the Duke players had (Hendo's wrist, Scheyer and Smiths knees banged up) may not have been severe enough to question whether or not they play but it can effect their performance, not to mention league play takes a toll on the body. Most coaches probably DON'T release injury reports for players that will play so the other team doesn't exploit them. People want to jump to so many conclusions whenever K or Roy says anything, oftentimes people want to infer whatever fits their worldview about the other team. In this case its Roy that seems to be jumping to conclusions. Not everything is about him.