Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It used to be tradition, at least at my home, to mute the TV and tune the radio to 620AM to listen to Bob Harris (and Jay Bilas, at the time).

I tried doing it in DC, but the online audio feed/XM sync delays made it nearly unwatchable.

A long time ago, it was possible to call WDNC's phone number and ask to be put on hold to listen to the game -- my father used to do that on his cell phone while driving out of state...
    Last edited by SharkD; 03-16-2007 at 06:31 PM.

They talked incessantly about the Hendo/Hansbrough experience during UNC-Michigan State, complete with replays from every angle and 27 8x10 color glossy photographs with a paragraph on the back of each one explainin what each one was.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

T-beard,
    Are we here to talk about the Draft?

Do They Talk To Much

I have been watching the Men's & Women's games today and realize that I truly dislike the coverage of the games. The announcers (all of them) on CBS talk too much and say so little. The conversation is so tangential to the action. Too much color and not enough coverage of the action taking place in front of us. I seem to enjoy it more with the Mute on.

The women's games on ESPN are not as bad - but there is more and more of it creeping in.

I get tired of hearing how great the players are, how unique, how this & how that. Why can't we be allowed to watch what they are doing. If their "history" is illustrated by play, OK, but why must we listen to all of the players, coaches and programs being puffed. Let them perform to earn praise.

It seems the Vitale approach is becoming universal.

T-beard,
    Are we here to talk about the Draft?
    I'm just sitting on the group W bench.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-18-2007 at 03:14 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

they say each game is in HD, but a lot of them are not coming across that way (e.g. purdue/florida). hey also managed to miss key parts of the end of the uva game because the florida game had started (i am in florida) and they had it on and were trying to catch the last moments of the uva game.

According to the CBS affiliate in Atlanta (which I called after DirecTV told me that they had no control over what the local affiliate fed for them to broadcast into the my local CBS HD channel and not to blame them for no HD of the Duke game being available Thursday night) they are splitting the signal to max out the number of games available - that split leaves insufficient bandwidth for a HD signal except over the air.

So I guess that is why I got no HD Thursday or Friday and HD for only the UVA-UT game today (I currently am getting Kentucky-Kansas and Nevada-Memphis in low def on the DirecTV HD and standard def channels for the Atlanta CBS affiliate). For whatever reason, the Atlanta affiliate had a HD game all day Saturday on my DirecTV CBS HD channel - go figure.

I suppose if the split signal theory continues I will get all the Sweet Sixteen games on Thursday and Friday but only in standard def.

This would be an argument for having ESPN/ABC get the tournament and broadcast over ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN Classic but that would involve having Vitale for the Final Four and NC games - I will stick with low def to avoid that fate.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I'm just sitting on the group W bench.
    Well, then I have one question -

"Are you rehabilitated?"

Exiled

Suckitude continues

CBS: "Hmm... let's cut away from a compelling run by Vanderbilt against Georgetown to see if the last 1:30 of the Florida-Butler game might be interesting."

They dramatically cut to Florida-Butler... right when they go into a timeout. CBS goes to commercial.

So then they go back to the Vandy/G'town game, for about 30 more seconds of action (Hibbert fouled out, so at least it was a key moment).

THEN, they go back to Florida-Butler, and it is basically decided with 40 seconds left.

Well done, CBS. Well done. Who knew that juggling only two games at once (that are about four minutes of game time apart) would be so difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by dockfan View Post
    CBS: "Hmm... let's cut away from a compelling run by Vanderbilt against Georgetown to see if the last 1:30 of the Florida-Butler game might be interesting."

They dramatically cut to Florida-Butler... right when they go into a timeout. CBS goes to commercial.

So then they go back to the Vandy/G'town game, for about 30 more seconds of action (Hibbert fouled out, so at least it was a key moment).

THEN, they go back to Florida-Butler, and it is basically decided with 40 seconds left.

Well done, CBS. Well done. Who knew that juggling only two games at once (that are about four minutes of game time apart) would be so difficult?
    how hard is it to keep the score of the only other game up on the screen? we don't need the score of the game we are watching as the score on the top as well as the bottom.