Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ymm, Home Cooking

Since everyone is already hungry from the 'ymm, regional food favorites' I might as well throw out one more.

What is that one meal that says 'home'?

I'm half Hungarian...the hands down winner for me is my (late) grandmother's Chicken Paprikash with nokkedli (aka 'spaetzel').

My mother's is close but not quite there (sorry Mom!). My grandmother never measured an ingredient in her life and mother does. I think that's the difference. I won't eat anyone elses Paprikash...like anything the recipes vary slightly from person to person and region to region. My grandmother's is the only 'real' paprikash in my book.

the same thing I said for regional foods . . .

A Brai (South African style BBQ), with Boerwors, corn on the cob, and baked beans. Nothing compares in my book.

Bacon burger dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Since everyone is already hungry from the 'ymm, regional food favorites' I might as well throw out one more.

I'm half Hungarian...the hands down winner for me is my (late) grandmother's Chicken Paprikash with nokkedli (aka 'spaetzel').
    O.k., I'm fascinated. Can you post the recipe? If I cook one more variation on the chicken casserole I think my entire family is going to sprout wings and fly away.

For me, the ultimate home cooking is daddy's steaks, cooked on charcoal, wrapped in bacon, and served rare. He gets the meat from some obscure grocery store in central Alabama and it's utterly to die for. I don't know what they feed those cows.

I LOVE my mother's tacos. No one can hold a candle to her tacos. Every time I come home she makes them for me. Thanks Mom!

Funny, I thought this post was going to be about the calls at Wake last night.

2 Dope Dogs and a Cherry Coke. Breakfast of Champions!

I'd go with my dad's BBQ Chicken on the grill, mom's Macaroni n' Cheese from the crock pot, green beans, grandmother's cornbread, & mom's chocolate eclair cake.

home cookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

My mother's is close but not quite there (sorry Mom!). My grandmother never measured an ingredient in her life and mother does. I think that's the difference. I won't eat anyone elses Paprikash...like anything the recipes vary slightly from person to person and region to region. My grandmother's is the only 'real' paprikash in my book.
    Oops, my mistake, I thought this would be about the officials in the recent unc-klempson game...

That dish sounds wonderful. Can I be your brother this weekend or sometime soon during a family reunion ?

my mom's chicken pot pie or broccoli cassarole...or my dad's french toast.
    yummmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'd go with my dad's BBQ Chicken on the grill, mom's Macaroni n' Cheese from the crock pot, green beans, grandmother's cornbread, & mom's chocolate eclair cake.
    i freakin' LOVE crockpot mac n cheese.

home cookin'

my wife's meat loaf, home made macaroni and cheese, steamed fresh green beans and peach or apple cobbler(warm) with a very large scoop(or two) of Breyer's original vanilla ice cream. Washed down with some home-brewed sweet tea(I actually drink unsweetened now-too much sugar). (and I did NOT even mention a certain type of hand-crafted malted beverage, but now that I mention it, a pale ale or brown ale might be REAALLLY good with this comfort food meal. )
    Last edited by devildeac; 02-18-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I just realized, it's dinner time(insert smile here)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    my wife's meat loaf, home made macaroni and cheese, steamed fresh green beans and peach or apple cobbler(warm) with a very large scoop(or two) of Breyer's original vanilla ice cream. Washed down with some home-brewed sweet tea(I actually drink unsweetened now-too much sugar). (and I did NOT even mention a certain type of hand-crafted malted beverage, but now that I mention it, a pale ale or brown ale might be REAALLLY good with this comfort food meal. )
    Where's my invite?

My wife's homemade meatballs, ravioli and gravy.

My mom's homemade, smoked Portuguese Chouriço. And it's gotta be in real sheep intestine casing.

home cookin'

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Where's my invite?
    perhaps we oughta have a Raleigh/Derm/chappaheeya/Smithfield(could not leave the OZ man out in the parking lot with nothing to eat or drink ) open house or pot luck with our favorite dishes and beverages

Uh-oh, I'm sensing another mafia! Will you guys fight with the Atlanta crew, or consider them another branch of the DBR OTB Mafia family?

home cookin'

Well...I come from Norwegian roots, but my chicken paprika is pretty damn good. (I'm a rather good cook).

My signature dishes include the following:

1) The best split pea & ham soup on the planet
    2) great pot roast
    3) supreme chili
    4) wonderful homemade cream puffs
    5) a cold chicken/pesto/pasta salad
    6) wonderful minestone soup

And many more. I look forward to posted recipes. Can't wait.

Wink The Family

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Uh-oh, I'm sensing another mafia! Will you guys fight with the Atlanta crew, or consider them another branch of the DBR OTB Mafia family?
    We're all part of one big family...

... for now.

DA: I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Well...I come from Norwegian roots, but my chicken paprika is pretty damn good. (I'm a rather good cook).

My signature dishes include the following:

1) The best split pea & ham soup on the planet
    2) great pot roast
    3) supreme chili
    4) wonderful homemade cream puffs
    5) a cold chicken/pesto/pasta salad
    6) wonderful minestone soup

And many more. I look forward to posted recipes. Can't wait.
    Didn't mean to imply other peoples chicken paprikash wasn't good...it just isn't the same as my Grandmother's! The same actually goes for pot roast, different grandmother. Her secret was the ancient cast iron pot she cooked it in...I have it now and I as soon as I get a forklift so I can get it on to the stove I'll make some pot roast

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    perhaps we oughta have a Raleigh/Derm/chappaheeya/Smithfield(could not leave the OZ man out in the parking lot with nothing to eat or drink ) open house or pot luck with our favorite dishes and beverages
    Fabulous idea! I was thinking the same thing on the way in this morning. I'll bring my world famous chocolate chip cookies and chocolate beer.