Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Duke MBB v. Miami pre-game & in-game thread

Duke will probably go back to the black jerseys next game against Miami! We look fiercer in the black jerseys and we will impose our will against Miami. GO DUKE!

Get ready to rumble!

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    Duke will probably go back to the black jerseys next game against Miami! We look fiercer in the black jerseys and we will impose our will against Miami. GO DUKE!
    I anticipate hard fouls by the 'canes at home. Duke should be ready to play after Sunday.

The Canes don't scare me, especially not after a bad loss at Wake.

I'm ready to transition to Miami discussion. The endless breakdowns of the Wake game have grown tiresome, especially since it is pretty simple: we were bad, they were not.

My hope for Miami is that the team opens a can from the tip and finds a way to maintain it throughout the game. We haven't done that in so long, it seems.

I'll be at the game Wednesday night and after last night, I'm even more excited to be there.

I agree, there's really not much to talk about with the Wake game. We've played 8 straight weeks of unbelievably sound basketball and we finally had a bad game in a game where I suspected we wouldn't play too well to begin with. Wake played their best game of the year and Duke had a bad night. Next play.

I must say, however, I agree with the front page recap of the Wake game. Duke is now playing teams that are desperate to get into the NCAA tourney and a win against Duke can single-handedly put some of these bubble teams into serious contention for a bid, if not a bid outright. Duke is facing this against Miami, GT, and NC State. Oh, and UNC wants that 1 seed in the East too, so they'll bring their "A" game against us as always.

The bottom line is that if Duke comes out 75% against these desperate teams, they will lose. Miami is no different; people are already talking about this game and the arena will be SOLD OUT. This is how it's going to be until the ACC tourney and Duke needs to learn how to play hard with not as much to gain. Krzyzewski said as much in the post-game press conference last night.

I'll be surprise if Miami is a genuine ACC arena. If we punch them in the mouth (figuratively, of course) early, it'll take the crowd out of it. Say what you will about Carolina fans (please, say what you will), but at least against Duke, they are loud the whole game. State is still trying to figure out how to do that in a post-Reynolds era, and Maryland fans know how to riot. But I have to think that Miami is the least imposing of all the ACC venues.

I am a bit concerned that the 'Canes will be back to their thuggish behavior, though, especially if we do jump out on them early. To Wake's credit, that was not their m.o. (aside from Chas). Not much cheap stuff, just good hard play. Miami, on the other hand, will be a return to the first half of the ACC season, where we saw all kinds of dirty play.

Another note: I know that the standard wisdom is for an angry coaching staff, extra laps, etc. after a loss. But observing K's demeanor during the Wake game, and having observed (from very afar) him over the years, I'm wondering if the next few days is spent more in building the team up rather than in yell-fests and suicides. Our guys have been stalwarts all year and are looking like they are wearing down a bit. DeMarcus in particular has been "pressing" the past few games. The burden of duty and leadership is particularly heavy. I'm guessing that the staff will be extremely positive with our bunch as we head toward Miami. Go Duke!

I really hope we come out strong in this game. It seems like we just hold on against the opponent in the initial stages of the game and then we take control and wear the other guys down. I'm hoping we take control from the beginning and establish the tone of the game.

If we are able to hold McClinton to a moderate performance, Duke should win convincingly.

Duke has not lost to Miami since 1962, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    Duke has not lost to Miami since 1962, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That is probably correct, but I don't think anyone playing Wednesday played in that game.

Jerseys

I have not seen Duke wear their blue jerseys since 2004. Has anyone else?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

it's all about the fierce!

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I have not seen Duke wear their blue jerseys since 2004. Has anyone else?
    We've worn blue quite a bit (including our very last game), but the blue has evolved to the point that it is a really unattractively bright-colored blue in my opinion. I always used to like the blue jerseys better in the first several years of the black, but now I definitely like the black better. Another nice thing about the black is that if we are going to be the all-evil dominant force, we might as well go all the way with it.

As long as we don't show up wearing two sided jerseys similar to what the All-Stars were wearing last night. Whew! Those things were terrible! So bad that they helped take my mind off the end of the WF game for a few seconds, anyway.

I do not recall seeing these on Sunday:

http://www.cnnsi.com/basketball/coll...es/mcleodl.jpg

(sheds tear)
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Henderson

Last night one of the announcers said his wrist was at 65%.

Obvbiously its hurting him, He's only attemted 4 FG's at Wake, 3 against Maryland, and 8 against BC(8 is probably on his lower end of average).

He is HUGE to this team! Should he sit out a game or two to heal 100%? Or is he expected to heal soon? Some of these questions may be a bit far fetched, but just curious how serious of a injury is this?

Scheyer and Smith can do a fine job if he has to sit out. Just thinking he hasnt been much of a factor since the injury. Luckily he's defense has been decent(not great though). Im not a huge TK(O) fan, but this would allow him some minutes or Zoubek, or even possibly McClure.

DC area fans: Is this game really not being televised on normal cable packages? GoDuke.com lists "Raycom" as the carrier, but it's not on Channel 20 (which normally carries Raycom). Will I have to find a bar that has ESPN Full Court? That's what I am thinking at this point...

I believe that the Maryland-Virginia Tech game is being played at the same time and is being shown locally as part of the Raycom network package.

gw67

18. Game vs Miami is the Most Important Game of Year

We played them just 17 days ago and won by 15. We failed to scored a 2-pointer until very deep in the 1st half and relied on a strong second half in order to put Miami away. If we don't start scoring 2's early and often this time around, we may be through.

We need to make a statement not only to our opposition, but also to ourselves that we ARE a dynamic team capable of winning from the inside and outside. As crazy as it sounds, I think this game determines where the rest of our season is headed. We are playing on the road against a team that was once ranked in the top 25, they present a lot of legitimate athletes, and they smell blood; if we can dominate this game I think our season will remain on track and will give the guys lots of confidence heading down the stretch.

Game vs Miami is the Most Important Game of Year

If we loose it will be. If we win it wont be.

March 8 is the Most Important Day of the Year.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa