Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    Perhaps because Brando, Elmore, et al are paid extremely well to at least posit objective, decently-reasoned thoughts about both teams in a balanced manner. Lofty, I know - but true, nevertheless.
    Yeah, well, life ain't fair. You should probably save your energy for worrying about something that actually matters.

Question What's up with the black tape?

Does anyone know what's underneath the black tape on the team's uniforms? I've noticed it on UNC's and Wake's as well. Are they covering the ACC logo or a Nike logo? or something else? If so, why?
    Thanks!

Nolan Smith

So we lost. But I was tremendously encouraged by the play of Nolan Smith. A star is born!

Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Yeah, well, life ain't fair. You should probably save your energy for worrying about something that actually matters.
    shoot, if that's the standard, there's not a whole lot to worry about (maybe your point).

this thread is generally going to be a disaster of hair pulling and clothes rending - let people vent; it'll make them feel better.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

One point of contention

I thought Zoubek should have played a bit more. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't play at all after he was assessed a Technical, a technical he didn't at all deserve. Not only did we need Brian but keeping him out of the game after stuff like that can't be good for his confidence.

We were clearly having trouble getting rebounds and it's hard to say Brian wouldn't have helped. I keep saying it, this kid is going to have to log legit minutes if we're going to go deep this year. I truly don't believe there's any way around it. I know he isn't exactly a Naismith candidate but this team needs Brian whether or not they realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by dukienyc View Post
    Does anyone know what's underneath the black tape on the team's uniforms? I've noticed it on UNC's and Wake's as well. Are they covering the ACC logo or a Nike logo? or something else? If so, why?
    Thanks!
    In honor of the victims of the shooting at Virginia Tech.

Looks like the meltdown is on, but I agree with everyone that says we were due for this loss, though I certainly wish we didn't disintegrate the way we did at the end.

Only thing I can add is that I felt like K making the Battier comparison was bound to be a jinx -- Kyle responded with his most freshman-like game in a while, full of dumb mental mistakes and turnovers galore. His final foul was a perfect capper -- goes in against three defenders with guys open on the perimeter and fouls out with a charge. He could have had two fouls tonight if he had just played smarter.

I'm concerned about Gerald, because we need his penetration and mid-range jumper when teams apply the blueprint Wake did tonight (quickness on perimeter, size inside, willingness to mix up defenses). Otherwise, I look forward to seeing how we bounce back against Miami.

low energy

I only saw the second half, but our offense looked like four guys standing around while the ballhandler tried to beat his man one-on-one. There didn't seem to be any movement, and very little energy to the team. What a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    How can you not just love Len Elmore's commentary?

He's a terp too!
    Call me crazy but I actually like Len Elmore calling our games. A lot.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    So was the yellow tie worn by Coach K. Classy move.

Through all of this it is just a regular season loss. And I would much rather see this team takes a bump now a learn from it instead of hitting the hard time in a tournament game. We saw what happened when everything doesn't come together but to be honest we were still in this game all the way to about the 1:40 mark in the game. And that was with 5 people fouled out(probably a first). Let's take our shots and learn from it and hopefully steam roll into the conference tourney and the big dance. So let's vent it out tonight and be ready for the next game to get behind these guys through the rest of this season no matter what happens. Go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukienyc View Post
    Thanks!
    All the ACC team are wearing black strips for VaTech and the shootings that happened in April. The teams can wear them wherever they like.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    So was the yellow tie worn by Coach K. Classy move.
    I agree - very classy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I thought Zoubek should have played a bit more. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't play at all after he was assessed a Technical, a technical he didn't at all deserve. Not only did we need Brian but keeping him out of the game after stuff like that can't be good for his confidence.

We were clearly having trouble getting rebounds and it's hard to say Brian wouldn't have helped. I keep saying it, this kid is going to have to log legit minutes if we're going to go deep this year. I truly don't believe there's any way around it. I know he isn't exactly a Naismith candidate but this team needs Brian whether or not they realize it.
    Zoubek didn't play because he was very ineffective while he was in. Wake made a big run early, and he was a part of that. The guy just isn't up to ACC speed yet. And Wake plays at such a tempo that he is an even bigger liability.

It would be nice if Zoubek could give us something. His size could really change games. But he's just not moving at the speed of college basketball, and as such is a liability. Until he can catch up to the speed and athleticism of the college game, he's not going to get significant minutes and he's not going to provide us much.

Bernard Clinton was just nominated for the Karl Hess award.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    My biggest concern is Gerald Henderson. Since the unc game with the wrist injury he has been a near non-factor offensively as he's no longer looking for his shot.
    This is by far the most troubling development. Gerald has put up 3 and 4 FGAs in the past 2 games, his lowest and 2nd lowest figures for the season. He clearly had the opportunity several times to rise for the mid range jumper but just didn't take it. With an offense that relies on balance and versatility, this injury changes our dynamic.

Well, at least we have proof now that Singler is definitely still a Freshman, After a few awesome games, we got this one. Typical freshmen mistakes... silly turnovers (6) and some really bad fouls. At least he put the ball in the basket. Still... a pretty awful game for the freshman.

On the other hand, Nolan tore it up. Granted, a lot of those were on uncontested layups down the stretch, but still. good job nolan

Duke did not play well enough to deserve the win. Too many missed, close shots. Too many free throws clanked away. Improper defensive play on the perimeter. I'd like to see a rematch in the tournament.......but not with this group of blind mice in stripes. The bump-outs on the baseline, that hotheaded Brian Zoubek , the intentional on Wake's center, the forarm shiver Thomas took at the 7:00 minute mark, The pull down of Singler at the free throw line after the over-and-back. That's enough. Man of the match....Coach K, for keeping his cool when the chips were all falling down around him. I'm not one who could have kept a chair from getting a flying lesson, a la Bobby Knight.

WTF with the yellow tie! Classy move, but. . . . Turned the game off in the first half since Duke was playing so terrible. Just had that feeling. Weren't getting any threes, no turnovers, any easy buckets, etc. Where was the patented run? Smith was the MOM, IMO. Way to be aggressive. No one else was. Kept expecting Kyle to take over. Well deservied win Wake, you outmatched Duke in all areas tonight. On to the next one. Still a game up on the Tar Heels!

Absolutely correct, CDu.

CDu is right on. Zoubek is a complete liability right now. Can't defend, rebound, run the floor or catch an entry pass. He is just not fully back from the injury. We really can't afford for him to be out there against a team like Wake. There may be a spot role for him against a Hansborough or a Hibbert, but this wasn't the game for him and he cost us. I just hope he can become Aaron Gray by his senior year, and not the next Marty Nessley.