Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Re: The intentional foul. (since I was asked)

While I don't agree with the official's call, I certainly think it was justifiable.

It is NOT true that an intentional foul (contrary to what the commentators were spewing off during the game...yet again) requires that a player not be making a play on the ball. Brando made this comment over and over and over again during the game, that he disagreed with the call because he was making a play for the ball. Once again, the commentators were wrong.

Art. 6. Intentional personal foul. An intentional foul shall be a personal foul
    that, on the basis of an official’s observation of the act, may be purposeful
    or reactionary and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples
    include, but are not limited to:

a. Causing excessive, non-flagrant contact with an opponent while playing
    the ball
    ;
    While perhaps the contact wasn't the most excessive I've ever seen, McWhatshisname certainly used more force than was required to block the shot. Seeing as how there was already some chippy play and talk on both sides leading up to the play, and Gerald was in the air and very susceptible to injury by excessive contact, I understand the call. In fact, the more I think about it and read the rulebook, the more I agree with the call.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Re: The intentional foul. (since I was asked)

While perhaps the contact wasn't the most excessive I've ever seen, McWhatshisname certainly used more force than was required to block the shot. Seeing as how there was already some chippy play and talk on both sides leading up to the play, and Gerald was in the air and very susceptible to injury by excessive contact, I understand the call. In fact, the more I think about it and read the rulebook, the more I agree with the call.
    So why did DBR go outside for an expert is what Im wanting to know. Well done once again rule man, and, as for the judgment-call part, I completely concur, for wahtever that is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    While perhaps the contact wasn't the most excessive I've ever seen, McWhatshisname certainly used more force than was required to block the shot. ... Gerald was in the air and very susceptible to injury by excessive contact...

Right. Once and for all: McWhooojie launched, propelled himself into Gerald while Gerald was at his most defenseless.

If I remember correctly about the intentional call, it was after the woofing with Zoobs, and definitley after the initial first minutes of the game where Gerald went up big and got fouled really hard...big body check to make him miss a big dunk. So, maybe they were calling it based on body of work before things got really out of control. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    I picked a wonderful away game to waste gas and ticket money on. But as said in another post I had a really bad feeling about this game all day. I have been to several Wake Forrest vs. Duke games over the years and I'm used to Wake playing them hard. And not to sound like a UNC fan but it seems like every year I go they hire three refs from the MMA to call the game. Yes there were obvious fouls for both teams. But anyone who says Duke gets all the calls can view video of this game and shut their yap. I don't know how things looked on TV. But from the stands it looked like Duke had glue on the bottom of their feet, was trying to make threes with one eye closed and a hand in their face and Wake made shots they don't normally make. The use of video, sound effects and obnoxious yellow and black tie dyes that wouldn't be allowed in a Grateful Dead show reminded me of UNLV in the early 90's. But I did have fun when the fans were screaming Wake....Forrest over and over, inserting Gump...Forrest...Gump. But an ACC game is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

One of the most irritating thing about the Wake crowd (and perhaps this is every home crowd now when Duke comes to play, I wouldn't know someone else would have to comment) but every whistle that went against Wake they booed. For Christ's sake Duke fouled out their entire starting five, yet the idiots in the stands actually thought they were getting screwed over by the refs! From where I was sitting there were obvious calls, they booed. There were times when a Wake player mugged a Duke guy, they cheered seeing no foul. And they even broke into a chant of "refs suck" after the Singler incident when he was trying to stand with a guard on his back. Apparently they thought Singler somehow desreved a foul for giving their guard a piggy back ride. I can watch any basketball game pro or college whether I have a favorite or not and be objective about the calls. Either Wake Forrest fans are the most ignorant ACC fans about what is a foul and whats not. Or these people actually feel at home they should get the benefit of the doubt on all whistles. A foul, travel and goaltend is a foul, travel and goaltend regardless of where you are playing.

I am not for a minute suggeting Duke deserved to win this game. They played in a funk from start to finish. The drive home through a drizzly, nasty cold rain semed very appropriate but did very little to wash away the bad taste in my mouth.
    I was also at the game, and got the exact same impression you did. We had a guy about two rows in front of us who flipped off the refs on every single call against Wake, it was quite humorous. I said out loud several times, Shouldn't you at least know the rules of basketball before you come to the arena to support a team?? They were almost on the level of Maryland honestly, one time throwing stuff on the floor if you remember. We were in sect 223, very back row (U).

It's the culture

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I was also at the game, and got the exact same impression you did. We had a guy about two rows in front of us who flipped off the refs on every single call against Wake, it was quite humorous. I said out loud several times, Shouldn't you at least know the rules of basketball before you come to the arena to support a team?? They were almost on the level of Maryland honestly, one time throwing stuff on the floor if you remember. We were in sect 223, very back row (U).
    I'm sad to say that throwing things on the court has been an old Wake tradition for years. I'm not sure, but I think the behavior goes back at least as far as the successful teams which included Lenny Chappell. Many times the throwing of cups and ice on the floor has been directed at their own team. While he was around, Skip Prosser helped the Wake fans get a grip and behave better at least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by patentgeek View Post
    My primary complaint about attending games in other arenas (and this hold whether Duke is the opponent or not) is that fans don't appear to recognize the difference between a bad call (i.e., the ref made the wrong call) and an unfavorable call. If a fan feels the need to complain about a truly incorrect call, I suppose that's fine - but how many calls in each game can one sitting in the stands know is truly, blatantly incorrect? I suspect very few, particularly without the benefit of replay. Nothing makes a group of fans look more ignorant and less sympathetic than constant whining about unfavorable, but often correct, calls.
    I agree - this is most apparent to me when I attend Duke-UNC games at the Dome. This past year near the end of the game a foul was called on Gerald and a lot of people behind me and around the entire stadium began booing. It was far from a hard foul, so my only explanation was that the nosebleed seats make it extremely difficult to see what's actually happening and it's easier to boo than actually figure out what's going on. I proclaimed rather loudly to my wife "What do you think they want? Two fouls called on Gerald?"

Watched Duke Wake Forest in Hawaii but missed Miami

For what it is worth, I thought Nelson had an excellent game defensively against Wake and it was unfortunate that he had fouls that kept his time down. I also thought that Nolan and Singler had really good games.

Wake played well and we have been having trouble with defense against good quality guards. The other old bugaboos caused problems as well. Free through shooting, driving into a crowd and being blocked, questionable passing and ball handling.

I was glad to see that Scheyer came out of his shooting doldrums against Miami. We need his points, especially with Henderson injured and playing below his normal capability.

These kids have played with heart and are still having an exceptional year but really need to make some corrections. I expect them to move forward and shake off these losses. St John doesn't have the horses to play with our team, so I expect a win there.