Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The statement bolded above is just flat wrong. See what he did to Wayne Ellington in the UNC game.
    Sorry, but Wayne Ellington did that to himself. He missed open shots left and right. Plus, it was Henderson who guarded him as well.

WF is precisely the type of team we have serious matchup problems with. They have size, they're extremely athletic and quick, they rarely lose at home, and unlike UNC - they play DEFENSE. No one should be at all surprised at this loss.

My biggest concern is Gerald Henderson. Since the unc game with the wrist injury he has been a near non-factor offensively as he's no longer looking for his shot. This is a huge deal for the rest of the season. Sounds like he could be playing through it through the remainder of the year.

With the exception of the turnovers I didn't think we actually played that poorly, we were simply over-matched. The Deacs were quicker and we couldn't guard them which led to the foul issues.

Again, this loss should come as no surprise to anyone who has been following ACC hoops outside of duke and unc.

Sorry that it just couldnt happen guys

We beat the holes.

Keep that in mind in times like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    They will lose by 40 at Carolina, though.
    They probably will.

But I hope they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CatfiveCane View Post
    Sorry, but Wayne Ellington did that to himself. He missed open shots left and right. Plus, it was Henderson who guarded him as well.
    Please stop being wrong.

When you're closely guarded most of the night, you miss the few open shots you get.

By the numbers:

39: Field Goal Percentage (Duke's worst of the season)
    31: Fouls Committed (including one technical)
    21: Turnovers
    12: Missed Free Throws
    4.5: Minutes without a FG in the second half... five different Blue Devils missed a 3 pointer in this stretch.

That, folks, is recipe for disaster.

Let's not forget the contribution from Nolan Smith today. While most of the Deacon's defense was focused on the 3, Smith showed up to keep the score close in the second half.

Congrats to a good effort by the Deacs, they certainly were fired up for this game. Poor shooting by the Blue Devils certainly did not help their cause.

But...tonight continues a bad trend this season...poor officiating by ACC officials. Tonight's game was one of the worst called games I have seen in awhile (and I was in school when Wirtz and Papparo were around). Inconsistent calls all around by the zebras...and clearly letting the home crowd influence their calls. I don't know how K was so calm tonight with all the bad calls.

And can we get ONE announcer who doesn't openly root against Duke to comment on our games? Elmore clearly is the president of that contingency...but Mike Patrick, Tim Brando and Jimmy Dykes are giving him a run for his money.

The statement bolded above is just flat wrong. See what he did to Wayne Ellington in the UNC game.
    Most post by CatfiveCane are just flat wrong.
    Bob Green

I agree with Feldspar; next play. And might I add - Brando needed a striped ref shirt along with his Demon Deacon megaphone. Blatant bias, IMO.

We didn't play our best game, but WTF the sorry a** referees. The three or four no-calls when we drove the baseline and were forced out of bounds; the rebound that was deflected twice by a Wake Forest player before eventually being called a backcourt violation on Scheyer; and how in the HELL do you keep having contact on both ends under the basket or where ever and no whistle being blown. The play that Singler fouled out on was from contact initiated by James Johnson as he leaned up into Kyle. And if all of that isn't bad enough, we have to listen to Tim Brando the whole game. Is it just me or does it seem like most commentators are anti-Duke these days. Sometimes it seems like the worst ones are Duke alumni. Just my .02 worth. On a side note though, Gerald looks very tentative along with Scheyer and why the hell can't Taylor King get in the game or Zoubek when we're getting destroyed on the inside and Lance is in foul trouble?

Why????Why????Why????Why????

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    We'll rebound.
    That's optimism. Maybe we'll make FTs too. I'd feel better if UNC hadn't been able to squeak out their recent Ws.

This is also wrong. See this thread to educate yourself
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Duke played sloppy today. Brought their "C" game.

Is it just me... or am I the only one who wishes that Scheyer played less minutes. I mean he's gritty and plays tough, but he can't buy a bucket. Plus he's a defensive liability. He needs to be able to knock down the open 3 point shot.
    yeah, I can't agree at all. scheyer is a far better defender than anyone gives him credit for.

Is it just me... or am I the only one who wishes that Scheyer played less minutes. I mean he's gritty and plays tough, but he can't buy a bucket. Plus he's a defensive liability. He needs to be able to knock down the open 3 point shot.
    That's because you're a troll. Begone!

Defensively liability!!??? Are you serious????!!!

Scheyer was possibly the only guy playing effective D tonight. He even took away some of the Deacs' shots inside.

In case you didn't notice, NOBODY knocked down a shot in the critical time of the 2nd half. All credit goes to Wake's D.

A serious question - why in the name of God would anyone care about what Tim Brando had to say? Please, please stop whining, or at least find something worth whining about.

Quote Originally Posted by dbd4ever View Post
    We didn't play our best game, but WTF the sorry a** referees. The three or four no-calls when we drove the baseline and were forced out of bounds; the rebound that was deflected twice by a Wake Forest player before eventually being called a backcourt violation on Scheyer; and how in the HELL do you keep having contact on both ends under the basket or where ever and no whistle being blown. The play that Singler fouled out on was from contact initiated by James Johnson as he leaned up into Kyle. And if all of that isn't bad enough, we have to listen to Tim Brando the whole game. Is it just me or does it seem like most commentators are anti-Duke these days. Sometimes it seems like the worst ones are Duke alumni. Just my .02 worth. On a side note though, Gerald looks very tentative along with Scheyer and why the hell can't Taylor King get in the game or Zoubek when we're getting destroyed on the inside and Lance is in foul trouble?

Why????Why????Why????Why????
    Hey, whatever makes you feel better.

Nah - last year's game at Maryland was definitely worse.
    I don't know. We had 3 losses in a row before that game. We were terrible the whole second half of the season last year. Maybe we have just been overachieving this whole year, but if not I think this was definitely our worst game in several years. Our starting lineup fouled out, Coach K wore a gold tie and didn't show any emotion the whole night, and only Nolan Smith looked like he wanted to win.

20. Great game by Wake, not so much for us. Duke gets all the calls. I'm going to bed.