Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    how important is that #1 seed in the East really?
    Important enough that if we get it we won't have to leave the state on our way to San Antonio. Even though the state of North Carolina is not a vast (or even half) contingency of Duke faithful, this would help us out greatly not to have to travel to the unfriendly confines of anti-Duke sites. Although Rupp Arena isn't a scheduled site this year, a hostile enviroment like that is always nice to avoid for Duke teams (we all remember the home-court advantage Indiana had there in '02).

I agree with Classof06, in that for us to have a legitimate shot at cutting down the nets in April, we need to come out of Charlotte. Now I don't propose us playing seriously injured players (if God forbid we should encounter that problem) in order to attain the East's top seed, but it would greatly help us if we could end up with it.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    So in seeing the 5 starters fouling out, I am trying to remember a game: The team we played had most of their starters benched for the entire game for some disciplinary action. By the end of the game, they had the student manager on the floor playing. The Crazies and Duke players wanted the kid to score in his one chance for fame, so the players stepped back and offered a free shot. The manager was so rattled by the gesture that he spazzed & double dribbled. I think he missed the second uncontested shot as well.

Can anyone fill in the details? I think it was Laettner era....
    Clemson, circa '92. The manager came in late, and put up a shot. I believe Tony Lang blocked it. Many of us there were (kiddingly) mad at Tony for not letting the kid make a shot.

Coach K asked for the fans to go easy on Clemson, so after a quick "hit the books" cheer, nothing else was said (that was audible to the upstairs crowd.)

I'm not positive it was the same game, but it was against Clemson that Randy Denton's son, who was a ~6'5" ball boy (back when we had them) dunked the ball before the game (while both teams were in the locker room.) During the first half, when we had some incredible lead, the chant "the ballboy's better" went up.

The two possibilities are 1 in the East or 2 in the Midwest. 1 in the East means homecourt but also means a possible sweet 16 matchup with Mr. Beasley. Quite frankly I don't want to see that play out.

UCLA will be a 2 seed in the West so Duke will be sent to the Midwest behind either Tennessee or Kansas. In my opinion I'd rather be the 2 in the Midwest playing Tennessee then K-State at a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    The two possibilities are 1 in the East or 2 in the Midwest. 1 in the East means homecourt but also means a possible sweet 16 matchup with Mr. Beasley. Quite frankly I don't want to see that play out.

UCLA will be a 2 seed in the West so Duke will be sent to the Midwest behind either Tennessee or Kansas. In my opinion I'd rather be the 2 in the Midwest playing Tennessee then K-State at a home game.
    You have some remarkable insight into seeding given that there are three weeks of basketball left to play before the tournament. Why wouldn't UCLA possibly get a 1? Why wouldn't K-State possibly get a 3? Why would Duke automatically go to the Midwest as a 2? The answer is, all of those things could happen, but might not. People are notoriously inaccurate in predicting the seeding within hours of when the field is announced. Making predictions like this 3 weeks in advance is complete folly.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Just throwing out a possibilty.

Duke-wake

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Try going to a game against State in RBC (which I will be doing on March 1). The fans start booing the refs when they walk on the court and several older fans are taken off in stretchers during the game screaming at K. I find their fan base to be the most ignorant of the rules in the conference (and when Md is in the league, thats guite an indictment of the red and white.)
    My sister-in-law and her husband attended the Duke-gt game last year in Atlanta and had little, if anything complimentary to say about the gt fans and their knowledge(or lack thereof) about the rules and game of basketball. They described it much as our fans have done in recent years/games, when they have visited other arenas such as comcast, T'hassee, vt, and the Dump on the Hump. Those comments have usually been that they can't believe any fouls are properly called against their team and everything should be a foul on Duke. Even after we beat the holes this year, a comment was overheard by one of their fans complaining that the 'refs really screwed us' in that game. Of course, they forgot the fact that the holes had outshot us on FT by about 26-7 until about the last 3 minutes of the game when they had to foul us as teams usually do in end-of-game situations when trailing. Just more Duke- hating perpetuated by clowns like brando, elmore, patrick, billy pecker and...

Quote Originally Posted by happydays1949 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    i thought the worst thing from the Wake fans was doing a very loud cheer to drown out the Duke player introductions. Do we do that in Cameron? Back in my day (TM), we greeted opposing players with a hearty "Hi, Rodney" or whatever their name was. I found it (last night) to be poor sportsmanship.
    Last night was the first time I have been in an opposing team's gym in over 5 years. I couldn't even hear the introductions, and thought it was very poor sportsmanship. Or, perhaps every other team does that now...does anyone know?
    Well, if my recent visit to the Dean Dome (Carolina's cumsy drubbing of Virginia Tech; no, I still can't get the smell off, or stop the burning sensation), the Whine and Cheese-Itz crowd proceeded to yammer away during the Hokies' introduction. (As expected, they had to be reminded to make 'noise' by the jumbotrons, lest they forget how to cheer on their team; similarly, the students are reminded to 'jump' -- which they promptly stopped doing 2-3 seconds after the audio/visual cue ended.) I'm also pretty sure that the PA announcer either turned-up the volume for the Tarheels' intros, or decided to use his 'inside voice' for the Hokies'.

I found it pretty classless. Sure, the Crazies add 'you suck!' for the bigger opponents, but they still allow the announcer to read the name.

My primary complaint about attending games in other arenas (and this hold whether Duke is the opponent or not) is that fans don't appear to recognize the difference between a bad call (i.e., the ref made the wrong call) and an unfavorable call. If a fan feels the need to complain about a truly incorrect call, I suppose that's fine - but how many calls in each game can one sitting in the stands know is truly, blatantly incorrect? I suspect very few, particularly without the benefit of replay. Nothing makes a group of fans look more ignorant and less sympathetic than constant whining about unfavorable, but often correct, calls.

Duke Basketball '08 - Let's just keep moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    You have some remarkable insight into seeding given that there are three weeks of basketball left to play before the tournament. Why wouldn't UCLA possibly get a 1? Why wouldn't K-State possibly get a 3? Why would Duke automatically go to the Midwest as a 2? The answer is, all of those things could happen, but might not. People are notoriously inaccurate in predicting the seeding within hours of when the field is announced. Making predictions like this 3 weeks in advance is complete folly.
    You are correct...this is way, way too soon to even start thinking about this stuff! Also, enough with the 250+ end-of-the-world posts because they lost the Wake game. Unbelievable. Let's just KEEP MOVING ON and forget about the Wake game and the hyper-analysis...the players will have this totally behind them as soon as they step on the court on Wednesday night. Look at history - all of Coach K's best Duke teams had tough, sometimes even bad, losses in mid-season. I believe that the '92 team lost 2 in a row mid-season, including to a not very good Wake team on the road, and wasn't Hurley injured in this stretch? Please correct me if I'm wrong. And, then legions of Duke fans gave up on the team when the sky was falling in '01 with the loss at home to Maryland and Boozer's injury...

Does anyone on this board not think that this team is not going to have sharp, focused, tough practices and rebound by beating a mediocre Miami team on the road and demolishing a bad St. John's team in the next two games? We are still in the driver's seat to win the ACC regular season and the #1 seed in the ACC tournament, and that is the only seeding that is really important right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    (we all remember the home-court advantage Indiana had there in '02).
    I had the displeasure of attending that game a few years back. Literally it was only about 10 seconds after the buzzer went off (and Duke had lost) before i was being hounded by Indiana fans wanting to buy my tickets. It was such a nasty feeling being in a supposedly neutral site and seeing a kentucky wildcat on the floor and the opposition being so closely located. Rupp hasn't been that loud, I'm quite sure, since. I think a number one seed in the east could very well result in a trip to the final four. Not completely necessary but important nonetheless.

First post by the way - I'm a duke fan living in the not-so-great state of kentucky. The crap i get on a daily basis is painful, but completely worth it. I just found this site the other day and feel as if i have found my people!

bp

Question

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The entire starting 5 fouls out?
    Does anyone know the last time that has happened?
    (Not including OT games...)

fouls

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    IIRC, I think GoDuke said in their summary today it was the 1st time ever, though we have had 5 guys foul out on 4 other occasions(2003,2005 and once in the 50's and 60's). Verification, someone?

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    According to GoDuke.com, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's never happened to a Duke team before last night. As for NCAA basketball, in general... I have no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    As for NCAA basketball, in general... I have no idea...
    that's more of what i was asking...
    i've been searching for a while now, with no luck.

it would just be an interesting tidbit to know!

team trivia!

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I followed that statement up by saying young or not, we were due for a bad game. But that doesn't change the fact that Duke is a young team. We have one senior and two juniors. I don't care what our national ranking is or what our record is, this is a young team. That's not making any excuses, that's the truth.
    that's not young in 2008. it would have been young in the 80s but now it is pretty average/normal. what good bcs school is full of seniors? most have underclassmen in key roles (eg, unc, ucla and texas).

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    While I believe Duke can go deep in the tournament regardless, I think they need that 1 seed in the East to have a legitimate chance at winning it all. That would help this team immensely. They need to get back on the horse and keep going because UNC seems to be getting stronger by the day. The last thing this team needs to do is scale it back.

Yeah, we seemed to be a little dinged up. But this is why depth is key, ladies and gentleman..
    why is a 1 seed in the east critical to winning it all? once you get to the final 4, it is completely irrelevant which bracket you came out of. it may be helpful in getting to the final 4 (that is arguable) but it has zero bearing on success once in the final 4.

It's the path, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    why is a 1 seed in the east critical to winning it all? once you get to the final 4, it is completely irrelevant which bracket you came out of. it may be helpful in getting to the final 4 (that is arguable) but it has zero bearing on success once in the final 4.
    I think the point is that the PATH to the Final Four might be easier through the East Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post

this is just a silly post. the only thing that is fairly certain is that either duke or unc will be a 1 in charlotte (whichever one the committee deems to be better) and that the team not receiving the 1 in charlotte will not be placed in that region. beyond that, you have no idea which region that team will be sent packing to.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I think the point is that the PATH to the Final Four might be easier through the East Regional.
    that's very different and NOT what the OP stated. even that is arguable.

Nelson this year

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Unfortunately, teams with a fast point guard who can drive past Duke's guards and get good shots will think that this is the key to beating Duke-- I think we may have seen a vision of T. Lawson playing against Duke next time.

When are announcers going to stop saying that Nelson can guard really quick guards? He couldn't do it last year against Marquette, VPI, and VCU, and he fouled out of this game trying to do it against Wake.

The other Big Lie is that Nelson is 6'4" and can go inside and score over bigger people, up to 6'9"-- he is actually more like 6'2' (according to sources inside the team), and he can't often score over frontcourt players, as tonight showed time and again-- he regularly gets blocked by players between 6'5" and 6'9", because, while he is a good athete, he is not a transcendant athlete (like a Jordan, Barkley, Bryant, James, etc.) who can beat bigger, good athletes... and unfortunately, Nelson STILL has not figured this out, which is why, 4 years into his college career, he continues to bull his way inside and then force up bad shots. But at least he finally did try to make a fast break outlet pass tonight off a defensive rebound in his own half-- unfortunately the pass was poorly thrown and resulted in a turnover, so maybe that's why he chooses to dribble the ball up himself every other time, after collecting a defensive rebound.
    Your description of Nelson's play and tendencies are not accurate in regard to his senior year. I felt the way you do, his first three years. He has been an offensive and defensive stud this year and is the heart and soul of the team. Singler may be the best player on the court, Henderson may have the most potential, but Nelson has been wonderful this year.