Home Air Filters / Removing Smoke Odor

My NYC apartment occasionally gets infested with cigarette smoke odor, despite the fact that no one in the apt smokes. I suspect a neighbor or some apt on a neighboring floor is the culprit, but there is little I can do if that proves true. Simply opening the windows is a good solution in the summer, but the 15-degree air gets (c)old fast in the winter.

I have had the building come check the ventilation systems several times, and a quick cleaning of the main ventilation duct filters did help with the problem, but did not totally eliminate it.

Looking for a more comprehensive solution, I've been researching alternatives such as a home air ionizer / ozone generator / air filtration device. I am quite skeptical that some of these units may actually "do nothing." Does any one have any experience with these things? If so, I am particularly interested in one that works well eliminating cigarette smoke odor, and I'd appreciate any recommendations.

On a side note, will these devices simply remove the odor, but leave all the carcinogenic by-products in the air?

Fighting odors

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    My NYC apartment occasionally gets infested with cigarette smoke odor, despite the fact that no one in the apt smokes. I suspect a neighbor or some apt on a neighboring floor is the culprit, but there is little I can do if that proves true. Simply opening the windows is a good solution in the summer, but the 15-degree air gets (c)old fast in the winter.

I have had the building come check the ventilation systems several times, and a quick cleaning of the main ventilation duct filters did help with the problem, but did not totally eliminate it.

Looking for a more comprehensive solution, I've been researching alternatives such as a home air ionizer / ozone generator / air filtration device. I am quite skeptical that some of these units may actually "do nothing." Does any one have any experience with these things? If so, I am particularly interested in one that works well eliminating cigarette smoke odor, and I'd appreciate any recommendations.

On a side note, will these devices simply remove the odor, but leave all the carcinogenic by-products in the air?
    I used an ionizer to "freshen" my house when it was on the market. (I had pets.) The brand I bought was Oreck. I've continued to use it in my new home. You might check Consumer's Reports for information about brands and effectiveness of particular models.

As for why the odor continues, it is likely residing in various surfaces in the building. A company which deals with restoration after fires could give you some good suggestions regarding how to combat this problem and may be able to take care of the odor and any residue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I used an ionizer to "freshen" my house when it was on the market. (I had pets.) The brand I bought was Oreck. I've continued to use it in my new home. You might check Consumer's Reports for information about brands and effectiveness of particular models.

As for why the odor continues, it is likely residing in various surfaces in the building. A company which deals with restoration after fires could give you some good suggestions regarding how to combat this problem and may be able to take care of the odor and any residue for you.
    Did you notice a significant difference after you started using the ionizer? Specifically, was there a noticeable reduction in associated pet smells?

Also, regarding why the odor continues, in my situation, I presume that odor occasionally recurs simply because a neighbor continues to puff the cancer sticks.

Ionizer helped

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Did you notice a significant difference after you started using the ionizer? Specifically, was there a noticeable reduction in associated pet smells?

Also, regarding why the odor continues, in my situation, I presume that odor occasionally recurs simply because a neighbor continues to puff the cancer sticks.
    Yes, I did notice a pleasant difference when I started using the ionizer. The air smelled fresh like after a rain storm.

As for the possibility that a neighbor smokes and thus the odor recurs, yes, that may be the cause for the smell you notice coming back. BUT even if no neighbor currently smokes but did in the past, there may be a recurrence of the smell later. I think the former owner of my current house may have had guests who smoked. Every once in a while I can smell the faint scent of cigarette smoke... makes me think there is some residual smell in the ductwork.

I also have the ion filters. Yes, they do seem to work pretty well. Three dogs = lots of pet dander and my husband had a marked decrease in his allergies once we got the filters. They do a pretty good job on smoke as well...no one smokes cigarettes but we have table on the deck that has a fire pit in it...we made the mistake of sitting out by the fire one night and leaving the windows to the house open. The next morning the house smelled awful. I cranked the filters from low to high and by afternoon when I came home from work the smell was gone.

Smoke in general is really hard to get rid of...it just seems to sink in to everything especially fabrics. Since you think it is creeping in from a neighbors I would look in to putting filters in your air ducts (not just in the returns) to stop it from getting in in the first place.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

A company called Ecoquest charges a bundle for its FreshAir machine, which I think is an ionizer but supposedly is different than the usual ones. A guy who did wonders for my kid's back recommended it, as my kid got coughs and several congestions each winter that lasted forever. This year no cough, but then again it has been extremely temperate.

The guy has a cat and dog; he uses the FreshAir in his home (he works there) all the time. You wouldn't know he had animals. Very pricey, but supposedly has many health benefits (see above); it works well and can clean air and surfaces (reportedly) in an entire apartment.

There is also an air freshner/hummidifier product called Venta, a German Company. Ventas work very well and have no filters. You put a solution in with the water, and the air is cleaned. Need to clean out the machine once in a while. Quiet. Might need more than one; come in different sizes; I don't know if you want to be adding humidity in the Summer.

Move to Wyoming. The air is very clean and the sun shines 3320-340 days per year.