Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My brother's take on Sampson

My brother is a very, very proud alum of IU. When Sampson got hired he was a little worried because of the problems he had at Oklahoma. He also feels that the AD was only concerned about hiring a coach who could win and did not think about IU's reputation as a squeaky clean program.

Now that Sampson is in deep trouble again my brother and many of his friends want him gone as soon as possible. When I talked to him about a new coach I mentioned JD as a candidate. He had 2 concerns if JD were somehow to become the HC. 1. Having his first coaching job be IU which is pressure enough but having to do it while on probation. 2. IU will want a coach that will stay there for 10-15 years and he thinks that once Coach K retires then JD would leave for Duke. I will say the one person he does not want to see mentioned in any of this is Bob Knight.

I have heard that IU fans want Sampson out - but I think I heard them chanting his name at the game today. I know that was only a microcosm of the fan base, but still.

Also, I call BS on IU fans being so concerned about their squeaky clean NCAA image. Yes - it is important, but I think the bigger concern for IU fans are the sanctions they are going to have to endure because of these violations. Most fans couldnt care less whether or not their program graduates players.

USC fans will defend Pete Carroll to the death because he wins. The same situation occurs at schools across the country. Thats just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I have heard that IU fans want Sampson out - but I think I heard them chanting his name at the game today. I know that was only a microcosm of the fan base, but still.
    Well, a big win will energize some people. IMHO, they should boot him.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Also, I call BS on IU fans being so concerned about their squeaky clean NCAA image. Yes - it is important, but I think the bigger concern for IU fans are the sanctions they are going to have to endure because of these violations. Most fans couldnt care less whether or not their program graduates players.

USC fans will defend Pete Carroll to the death because he wins. The same situation occurs at schools across the country. Thats just my .02
    Oh c'mon... Do you honestly think that Duke fans are the only ones who care if players graduate or we run a squeaky program? That's just rediculous. IU folks, for the most part, did NOT like the Sampson hire in the first place and they are just PO'd about the whole thing. How would you feel if Calipari was named K's successor? Sure you'd still be a fan and be happy you were winning, but you'd be a little embarassed about your program. IU has a strong tradition people in Indiana don't put up with crap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    Oh c'mon... Do you honestly think that Duke fans are the only ones who care if players graduate or we run a squeaky program? That's just rediculous. IU folks, for the most part, did NOT like the Sampson hire in the first place and they are just PO'd about the whole thing. How would you feel if Calipari was named K's successor? Sure you'd still be a fan and be happy you were winning, but you'd be a little embarassed about your program. IU has a strong tradition people in Indiana don't put up with crap like this.
    Bingo - I'm tight with 3 IU alums/fans and they are all very upset. Sampson is a stain, in their eyes.

s.i.

A few comments--

I agree that IU will not want to take someone who is likely to leave as soon as the Duke job comes open (in about a decade?). IU will also probably want someone who has a head coaching track record elsewhere. That said, JD is so highly respected and Duke is so highly regarded that if any assistant coach in the nation can go directly to as big a job as the IU one it is probably JD.

Still, I don't think JD would be interested even if IU was. K has made it quite clear that JD will be his successor. JD does not need to leave Durham to get that job and JD is quite happy here at K's side. Uprooting his family (wife and 4 kids) to move to Bloomington is probably not something he wants to entertain at this point.

One more thing-- it is generally accepted that if JD had wanted the Georgetown job, he could have had it a couple years ago. They apparently wanted him more than they wanted JT III. If JD turned down Georgetown, he is not going to go to Indiana.

I think that IU will get rid of Sampson, probably in the next few days. They will likely go the "interim head coach" route until the season is done simply because anything else is really difficult. REgardless, when they do hire a new head coach, I would be very surprised if it is not Steve Alford.

Alford is currently at New Mexico and he is doing a nice job there in his first season (they are 20-6 and seem to have a decent shot at an NCAA bid). He did a nice job at Iowa before that, though his final season there was a poor one and his teams seemed to flame out in the NCAA tourney a bit too often. Still, he has shown he can win in the Big Ten (look at how good Iowa was 2 years ago) and would probably do even better at IU vs. Iowa because of the inherrent advantages of coaching at a legandary program like IU.

--Jason "Alford will get the job. Mark it down." Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "Alford will get the job. Mark it down." Evans
    I'm a believer.

Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I'm a believer.
    I have to agree with Jason and Breen that Alford is the most logical and best fit WHEN KS gets the boot. At this point I don't think it's a question of if but when, but I've been wrong before.

While I think JD would be a good choice (as would Collins or Wojo) I have a feeling the NCAA is going to put IU on some kind of probation despite the situation being 99% to blame on KS. Amaker found out going into a situation where the team is already on probabtion is tough. And I personally don't see Gordon staying past this year, so I think there are better opportunites for any Duke assistant opening if not this year in future years.

Billy Breen, you haven't ever lived in Burlington have you? I graduated with a guy named Mike Breen who had an older brother named Billy.

I was also going to mention that if IU was interested in Dawkins that he should contact Amaker. Going into a program with sanctions or on probation is a tough road to haul. I do think that the IU position is different from the Michigan position from the stand point that IU is much more supportive of their basketball program than Michigan is but I still don't think that it is a very ideal situation for starting your head coaching carreer.

Regardless, my impression is that Dawkins is happy where he is and has no intentions of leaving Duke if he doesn't have to. One think to keep in mind with Dawkins is that he had a fairly solid nba career and therefor has a little more money in the bank than the average assistant coach. His motivation to move into a head coaching position may not be as high as some might think.

I'm a believer.
    Not a trace of doubt in my mind...

I've read Dakich for the remainder of the season and Scott Skiles taking over as the HC at IU next season. Alford is the obvious choice, but wasn't he the obvious choice when Sampson was hired?

Has anyone mentioned RMK for the job yet? He's not doing anything right now.

Not really... I mean its on par with announcers mentioning that one of our current players was a HS QB... who was that again?
    WWJDD?

believer

I'm a believer.
    I couldn't leave her if I tried...

(He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)
    The season you were referring was 1994-95. Sorry, correct dates happen to be a pet peeve of mine I have little bit of Howard Hughes in me, or so I'm told by friends (Perhaps that's not something to laugh about, however).

One of the crazies always asks coach K about Dawkins leaving for a premier head coaching job during the Q&A sessions before the Carolina home game and Coach K always says something to the effect of, "I won't speak for Johnny, but I know he and his family are very happy in Durham right now. He has a few young kids growing up and he is just loving being a dad and helping Duke basketball, but you never know." He never answers one way or another, but usually implies that it is pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Not really... I mean its on par with announcers mentioning that one of our current players was a HS QB... who was that again?
    Hmm, I think I've heard of that. Wasn't he recruited to go play football at some other school? Scroter something . . . The name escapes me.

Nerdly analogy

RMK coming back to IU would be like Steve Jobs coming back to Apple, a cantankerous visionary forced out due to attitude / maturity issues returning to save his old shop from potential disaster. If RMK wins a National Championship in 2010, it'll be just like Jobs creating the iPod.

Think about it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The season you were referring was 1994-95. Sorry, correct dates happen to be a pet peeve of mine I have little bit of Howard Hughes in me, or so I'm told by friends (Perhaps that's not something to laugh about, however).
    You're right, thanks. I even went back to make sure I had the correct year before I posted, and typed it wrong anyways. My wife would be proud, she says I'll stand behind a wrong fact even with the proof in front of me.

I'm also agreeing with some of the Alford guys here, that would be a sensible fit. I don't care much who ultimately gets the job, but it wouldn't surprise me if JD isn't mentioned. I'm sure hoping K will be here for a long while to come, but whoever takes his spot when that time comes really should have some HC experience.

RMK coming back to IU would be like Steve Jobs coming back to Apple, a cantankerous visionary forced out due to attitude / maturity issues returning to save his old shop from potential disaster. If RMK wins a National Championship in 2010, it'll be just like Jobs creating the iPod.

Think about it.
    This guy suggested that they bring back Bobby. IU Security made him take the shirt off...