Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

How about Dawkins for IU

Sampson is gone, no doubt. So that leaves them looking for a replacement, one who is going to bring in credibility with the clean image they need right now. I think JD would be a great option. He has to get out on his own anyways, (get some experience, then come home when K is ready to retire)and what a perfect match. Just tossing it out there..

Not seeing it happen. I can only see JD taking one head coaching job...and that's spelled D-U-K-E. He's turned down sooo many head coaching offers before in both college and the NBA, that I assume teams have stopped trying. I could be wrong, though, and it wouldn't be the first time. But I just don't see it.

Interesting thought. I can think of a number of reasons why he could consider another school besides Duke. Would anyone really want to follow K? Wherever he ends up one day, they'll be lucky to have him.

Were any of those jobs previously turned down JD as high profile as Indiana? Coack K doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I would think JD would have to think long and hard if he were to be offered the job.

All due respect to JD, but he has never been a head coach. Why would Indiana take a chance on a totally unproven commodity?

It seems to be "common wisdom" in the Duke community that JD has turned down numerous head coaching gigs. Is that really true? Which schools? When? I'm not a history buff (as I only really became a serious fan after I got my acceptance letter), and I'm not saying it isn't true... just curious for more info.

I'll be happy if JD stays right where he is.

I don't have any desire to run JD off, particularly when we appear to building a series of great teams. Besides, why would he want to walk into a really bad situation at Indiana, where they are bound to be on all kinds of hurt from the NCAA, apparently have an idiot for for AD (well, he may know about that problem already), and chased off a great coach?
    I don't se it.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    (as I only really became a serious fan after I got my acceptance letter)
    How did you get past the admissions committee?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I won't be happy if he stays right where he is. I sure hope he isn't on staying at Duke with the intention of taking over one day without having head coaching experience of his own. Ask Pete Gaudet how well being K's assistant works out in the guaranteed winner column. (He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)
    I don't care if it's IU or not, but the assistants have got to go somewhere else first and get their feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    How did you get past the admissions committee?
    Actually, I wasn't a fan until seeing a game freshman year. Greg Newton went toe to toe with Matt Harpring. It was rad.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I won't be happy if he stays right where he is. I sure hope he isn't on staying at Duke with the intention of taking over one day without having head coaching experience of his own. Ask Pete Gaudet how well being K's assistant works out in the guaranteed winner column. (He was the one who had the unfortunate assignment in '95-'96, and led the Devils to a year to forget.)
    I don't care if it's IU or not, but the assistants have got to go somewhere else first and get their feet wet.
    Agreed, HC experience is a definite must when Coach K decides to hang it up. In like 35 years, right?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Actually, I wasn't a fan until seeing a game freshman year. Greg Newton went toe to toe with Matt Harpring. It was rad.
    I'm had some uhhmmm, difficulty, in knowing who to root for while in high school. I came to my senses when the hard decision of where to matriculate had to be made.

IU to Dawkins

^ Vic Bubas may disagree with your assessment.

I would be shocked if Johnny doesn't succeed Coach K, particularly when Coach K has strongly hinted that Coach Dawkins would be a worthy successor.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sampson is gone, no doubt. So that leaves them looking for a replacement, one who is going to bring in credibility with the clean image they need right now. I think JD would be a great option. He has to get out on his own anyways, (get some experience, then come home when K is ready to retire)and what a perfect match. Just tossing it out there..

Jeff Capel III

Quote Originally Posted by norduck View Post
    Jeff Capel III
    Haha...Capel is still trying to clean up the mess that Sampson left at Oklahoma. I doubt he'd want to move on and clean up the next mess that he's already made.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Haha...Capel is still trying to clean up the mess that Sampson left at Oklahoma. I doubt he'd want to move on and clean up the next mess that he's already made.
    This mess was nipped in the bud though!

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    It seems to be "common wisdom" in the Duke community that JD has turned down numerous head coaching gigs. Is that really true? Which schools?
    It would be more accurate to say that Dawkins--not to mention Collins and Wojo--has turned down serious interest from various programs that wanted him to become their head coach. Whether or not any head coaching gigs have formally been offered is something I do not know the answer to, but presumably others (Jim Sumner) on this board would know.

Quote Originally Posted by norduck View Post
    This mess was nipped in the bud though!
    Nipped in the bud? How? Everything I've heard is that the program has major violations. I think there are going to be some tough consequences for Sampson's mistakes.

Assistant Coach Salary

I remember during Pete Gaudet's tenure, there was a big issue about NCAA limiting ^$%^$%^$%. Coach's salary but on these forums I see JD is making around a million, (worth every penny). Did the NCAA change its rules? Can anyone elaborate on this?