Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Why is NY pizza so good, and why is ...

Atlanta pizza so awful? And don't tell me Mellow Mushroom is better than the lower tier of NY pizzas ... 'cause it isn't.

Is it the water?
    Is it the altitude?

I simply cannot get a decent pizza slice in Atlanta. It's the same with bagels.

What's the deal?

Freakin' tired of paying good money for yet another pizza that claims to be as good as NY's,
    Lavabe

Why is NY pizza so good, and why is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Atlanta pizza so awful? And don't tell me Mellow Mushroom is better than the lower tier of NY pizzas ... 'cause it isn't.

Is it the water?
    Is it the altitude?

It's the same with bagels.

What's the deal?

Freakin' tired of paying good money for yet another pizza that claims to be as good as NY's,
    Lavabe
    For bagels, I've always heard it is the water.

For pizza, it is the yellow grease. If it doesn't pool on the cheese and drip off the pizza, it's not NY pizza.

We actually have very good pizza in Smithfield (Angelo's), and great pizza in Goldsboro (Brooklyn Pizza).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Sorry, never been a huge fan of NY style pizza...

We have a Michelangelo's on Emerald Isle which is fantastic and I believe NY style. It's not helping my waistline any. I love NY pizza, but I also adore Chicago stuffed pizza. Thankfully we don't have that in NC that I know of.

Ledo's - Adelphi Maryland. The best pizza in the Unted States. I will eat other pizza, but compared to Ledo's it sucks. I'm not talking about those bogus franchise operations either. I'm talking the original, on University Blvd. in Adelphi.

Its the water.

Nothing but nothing is as good as NY Pizza...not 'NY Style' Pizza cooked someplace else but greasey fold it in half dripping with cheese pizza from NY.

Damn...and it is a long way from Clearwater FL to a decent slice of pizza
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

You haven't had bad pizza til you tried the stuff they call pizza here on the west coast. I did find a couple places that are decent, but for me it's the quality of cheese and crust that makes me hate free pizzas on Fridays at work.

I am, however, a huge fan of Chicago style deep dish, which I think is blasphemy in certain areas on the east coast

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I am, however, a huge fan of Chicago style deep dish, which I think is blasphemy in certain areas on the east coast
    Ditto, and that's from a lifelong east coaster. Chicago style is where it's at. Lou Malnati's FTW!

I spent the summer of '98 at Columbia and enjoyed my share of New York style from Koronet. It was cheap and good, but it gave me 20 pounds or so to work off once I got home.

We have a place called I Heart NY Pizza here in Wilmington. Its really good and no one there except the owner speaks English, if that tells you anything. The grease flows like a waterfall and the slices are HUGE. My favorite is the roma spinach.

And IMO, Mellow Mushroom sucks. Pizza and hippies don't mix!

Ahh, something you can really sink a fork into.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Ahh, something you can really sink a fork into.
    Fork, knife, spoon, trowel. Bring all the tools you have when tackling Chicago style. The journey is its own reward.

Angry

They opened a Cal.PizzaKitchen nearby. That will probably match the Chicago Pizza place in low quality. AWFUL.

The bagel thing bothers me to no end. We have stupid pseudobagels at Einstein's and Panera; even the Jewish soul food places don't do them right.

This city is devoid of good ethnic food.

Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post

And IMO, Mellow Mushroom sucks.
    I second the motion!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

You haven't had bad pizza til you tried the stuff they call pizza here on the west coast.
    I'm a Jersey girl living in LA now, and I actually found good pizza here (note I didn't say stellar or outstanding, but it's pretty darn good for being out this way). Village Pizzeria (I think that's it) on Larchmont in LA- the owners are from Brooklyn, and they know what they're doing. They're always busy and I believe they just opened another one in West Hollywood or thereabouts. I won't go anywhere else for pizza in LA, and yes, I detest when we bring pizza in for lunch at work. It's that whole "free" concept that gets me to eat it.

As for bagels, I want to cry. There are ok bagels here, but not like back east. Ahhhh, I long for the H&H runs at 2am... those were the good old days.

Sue

I always thought Randy's in the Durham area (South Square and RTP) was really good - I try to go there any time I'm in town.

You haven't had bad pizza til you tried the stuff they call pizza here on the west coast.
    Hey, hc5 --

You might want to give Zachary's Pizza a try. Legendary in Oakland and Berkeley. Recently they opened one not too far from you in San Ramon.

3110 Crow Canyon Place
    San Ramon CA 94583
    (925) 244-1222

It's just off the 680 at the Crow Canyon exit NB -- to the right into the shopping center

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    They opened a Cal.PizzaKitchen nearby. That will probably match the Chicago Pizza place in low quality. AWFUL.

Lavabe
    Can't say what California Pizza Kitchen will do in Hotlanta, but it is not a traditional pizza. Their menu will be quite foreign to you. But they are excellent in their own way.

With any luck, this will give you an idea of what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Hey, hc5 --

You might want to give Zachary's Pizza a try. Legendary in Oakland and Berkeley. Recently they opened one not too far from you in San Ramon.

3110 Crow Canyon Place
    San Ramon CA 94583
    (925) 244-1222

It's just off the 680 at the Crow Canyon exit NB -- to the right into the shopping center
    Thanks! Amici's seems pretty decent, and we usually go to Tomatina, but we'll try this place sometime.

Thanks! ... we usually go to Tomatina, but we'll try this place sometime.
    Hoo boy! Tomatina's for pizza? The pasta is ok for a moderately good Italian chain. But pizza? No wonder you think west coast pizza is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Hoo boy! Tomatina's for pizza? The pasta is ok for a moderately good Italian chain. But pizza? No wonder you think west coast pizza is bad.
    Eh, their piadines are actually pretty good. Funny, I actually haven't even tried their pasta. I just go to Maggiano's in SJ for pasta (though they usually have 2+ hours waiting list)