Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Langdon Buzzer Beater

CSKA Moscow stormed back from a 12 point deficit, with 2 minutes remaining in the game, to a 72-71 victory as Trajan Langdon made a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
    Bob Green

Buzzer beaters

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    CSKA Moscow stormed back from a 12 point deficit, with 2 minutes remaining in the game, to a 72-71 victory as Trajan Langdon made a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
    That is pretty neat. Wonder if this is Trajan's first buzzer beater.
    Also wonder (other than Laettner, ofcourse) how many Duke players have made buzzer beaters in college or in the pros. - I remember Boozer almost did against Indiana in the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    That is pretty neat. Wonder if this is Trajan's first buzzer beater.
    Also wonder (other than Laettner, ofcourse) how many Duke players have made buzzer beaters in college or in the pros. - I remember Boozer almost did against Indiana in the NCAA tournament.
    Laettner made a buzzer beater?

The most recent buzzer beater I can think of is Dockery's shot against VT.

There was also Duhon's full court sprint for a layup against UNC a couple years ago. (I think that was pretty close to a buzzer beater, there may have been a fraction of a second left)

I'm still surprised that there isn't a roster spot in the NBA for Langdon. I certainly don't think that we would be a starter but his last season in Cleveland he played solid D managed the point respectably as a back up and shot a very high 3pt percentage. There's not a team out there that couldn't use his shooting? I don't get it.

Buzzer-beating defense

How about a buzzer-beating block? The only game I've seen in the Dean Dome was a Duke-UNC game in the late 80s when Ferry, Abdelnaby, Snyder, et al, were on the team. Duke ran off to a huge early lead -- something like 31-15 -- then came the inevitable rally. Carolina never led but got the ball back down one for the final possession. With seconds ticking away, Jeff Lebo got an open look from the left corner, the kind of shot you just knew was going in. Somehow, Robert Brickey closed out from all the way under the basket, leaped and got his finger tips on the ball after Lebo released it. The ball went straight up in the air as the buzzer sounded.

We had a thread on this on the old boards. Not sure whether old board stuff still exists anywhere.

ISHJB, the game you refer to was in '88.

Quote Originally Posted by mpc View Post

There was also Duhon's full court sprint for a layup against UNC a couple years ago. (I think that was pretty close to a buzzer beater, there may have been a fraction of a second left)
    Duhon also hit a buzzer beater at Wake Forest his freshman year. I suspect that the list of buzzer beaters is pretty long.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I'm still surprised that there isn't a roster spot in the NBA for Langdon. I certainly don't think that we would be a starter but his last season in Cleveland he played solid D managed the point respectably as a back up and shot a very high 3pt percentage. There's not a team out there that couldn't use his shooting? I don't get it.
    Good point and yes, it's pretty amazing to me too that an NBA team hasn't called on him, with Langdon being such a great, pure shooter.

Perhaps it's just a matter of time. He's one of my favorites.

-EarlJam

There were about four seconds left. Carolina had enough time to run down and get a three off just outside the line. It missed.

Right, I'm surprised I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Duhon also hit a buzzer beater at Wake Forest his freshman year. I suspect that the list of buzzer beaters is pretty long.
    I actually remember that shot (sort of floater, right ?). I remember Battier's praise of Duhon after that shot, as well.

Though this wasn't a buzzer beater, I remember Duhon's three against FSU at Cameron, his senior year, came pretty close to the end of the game - that shot clearly sealed our victory.

It's amazing how many clutch shots Duhon has made towards the near end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by IStillHateJimBain View Post
    How about a buzzer-beating block? The only game I've seen in the Dean Dome was a Duke-UNC game in the late 80s when Ferry, Abdelnaby, Snyder, et al, were on the team. Duke ran off to a huge early lead -- something like 31-15 -- then came the inevitable rally. Carolina never led but got the ball back down one for the final possession. With seconds ticking away, Jeff Lebo got an open look from the left corner, the kind of shot you just knew was going in. Somehow, Robert Brickey closed out from all the way under the basket, leaped and got his finger tips on the ball after Lebo released it. The ball went straight up in the air as the buzzer sounded.
    Sounds pretty neat.

Dawkins.

Quote Originally Posted by IStillHateJimBain View Post
    From the timeline:
    February 16, 1986
    Johnny Dawkins blocks David Rivers' potential game-winning shot to give No. 2-ranked Duke a 75-74 victory over No. 14 Notre Dame in Cameron. The Sunday afternoon victory caps a remarkable 24-hour performance by Dawkins and the Devils. On Saturday night, Duke travels to N.C. State and edges the No. 17-ranked Wolfpack, 72-70, on a pair of free throws by Dawkins. The next afternoon, the Blue Devils battle the Fighting Irish in front of a national television audience in a game that isn't decided until Duke's senior guard swats away Rivers' running one-hander at the buzzer.
    Oh, and Dave McClure beat Clemson on a buzzer beater layup on a pass from Scheyer last season.
    Last edited by Johnboy; 02-15-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: McClure buzzer beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Dave McClure [/URL]beat Clemson on a buzzer beater layup on a pass from Scheyer last season.
    Yup, of course.

Haven't heard of the Dawkins play but sounds great, though.

Ricky Price made a buzzer-beater to win a game at Maryland in 1996 -- in fact, it was a three-pointer. That and Dockery's heave against Va. Tech two seasons ago are the only buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointers by Duke players that I can recall.

I do remember that Dunleavy hit a long three-pointer (more of a heave from about 40 feet) to beat the halftime buzzer in a game several years ago. I can't remember the opponent, but I do remember that we were destroying them -- I think Dunleavy's buzzer beater made the halftime score something like 55-18 instead of 52-18. (It might've been that game against Michigan in which we ran out to a 34-2 lead.)

The old thread devolved into a tiresome debate about what constitutes a buzzer-beater.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Yup, of course.

Haven't heard of the Dawkins play but sounds great, though.
    That was one of the greatest regular-season weekends in Duke basketball history, IMO. We beat #17 ranked State in Raleigh on Saturday night by two Dawkins free throws, then edge #14 Notre Dame in Cameron on Dawkins' block of David Rivers, one of the top guards in the nation, on Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The old thread devolved into a tiresome debate about what constitutes a buzzer-beater.
    That seems self explanatory...

Horvath

Nick Horvath had a buzzer beater in his freshman year. I think it was against DePaul.