Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    For some reason I am worried about tonights game with Wake. I will be attending and perhaps I am worrying I will run my mouth too much and a brawl will break out. Maybe I'm worried that this is a road game and MD gave us such a good game at Cameron. Maybe I'm worried that I have to use premium unleaded and the drive to the game is going to cost me more than the tickets themselves. Wake seems to be getting their feet under them as of late and we all know Duke gets everyones best shot. Past games with Wake have been on the physical side, I hope this game doesn't sink to the depths of FSU or VT. And I hope Duke jumps on them early to keep the crowd out of it so I can actually be heard from the nose bleed area.
    I think we need to take this game seriously--and I think Coach K will have the guys there. My uncle is a WF fan, so he always takes my dad and me to the game--boy have I had to sit there during some BAD losses over the past few years. But I love this team and think they will pull out another tough, gritty game that will make them better.

I think it will be a good game but Duke will prevail!

The biggest concern tonight will be stopping Wake's guard penetration. Smith and Teague are incredibly quick and if Hale is on the court at the same time, then we will need to decide who guards who. Granted, they have not yet seen a team that can defend the perimiter like us, but if we get lazy on the switches, or someone is flat footed, we could be in for a long night. That said, I like our chances on paper... unfortunatley, there is no way to account for the emotion that will be filling LJ tonight.

If you're at the game... as I will be... act classy. Please.

Wake's three guard offense worries me a bit. But I think Duke will have to have a very, very cold shooting night to give Wake a shot at the upset.

If we don't get a knock out blow early, they may get some confidence, but I still think we pull away in the end.

Statistics usually don't tell anyone the full story, as is...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Once again, DBR portrays our next opponent as if they were the second coming of the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics. However, if you look at Wake's team statistics they are really horrendous:

3 point shooting % = .320
    Free throw % = .663
    Field gold % = .436

Duke’s statistics are significantly better:

3 point shooting % = .393
    Free throw % = .688
    Field gold % = .478

Also, if you look at who they beat in the ACC it is VT, FSU (twice), Miami and Virginia. Thus 4 of their 5 ACC wins were against the bottom teams in the ACC. Their ACC loses were to BC, MD, GT, Clemson, NC State. NCST, BC and GT are the next three teams from the bottom. In other words it wasn’t just good teams they lost to. Thus unless we have a really bad off night and Wake catches on fire, I don’t expect us to loose.

Standard disclaimer: On any given day any team can beat any other team.
    the case with analyzing the potential that Wake Forest presents with, today, in the form of a quick, guard-oriented attack. Also, those stats are for the season but won't tell the story of improvement, or heart, that Wake plays with versus Duke in Winston. They can be very tough on Duke there.

So it's going to take a focused, emotional effort by Duke from the beginning tip for Duke to win there today; check out the line on the game, as it's Duke favored by ONLY about 8 points (ie, with Duke at #2 in the country and Wake not ranked, you'd thinkthat the point spread would be much more).

And I think you see this by the disclaimer that you added, but here's yet another example of how statistics don't tell the full story.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Funny you mention that--one of the reasons we get to go every year is that my uncle and his friends say we don't act like the "typical" Duke fan. I think we do...class all the way!

Picking the nits

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Once again, DBR portrays our next opponent as if they were the second coming of the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics. However, if you look at Wake's team statistics they are really horrendous:

3 point shooting % = .320
    Free throw % = .663
    Field gold % = .436

Duke’s statistics are significantly better:

3 point shooting % = .393
    Free throw % = .688
    Field gold % = .478

Also, if you look at who they beat in the ACC it is VT, FSU (twice), Miami and Virginia. Thus 4 of their 5 ACC wins were against the bottom teams in the ACC. Their ACC loses were to BC, MD, GT, Clemson, NC State. NCST, BC and GT are the next three teams from the bottom. In other words it wasn’t just good teams they lost to. Thus unless we have a really bad off night and Wake catches on fire, I don’t expect us to loose.

Standard disclaimer: On any given day any team can beat any other team.
    You know, I can usually let spelling ("rediculous") and grammatical errors slide, but "field gold"? Dude, come ON.

You know, I can usually let spelling ("rediculous") and grammatical errors slide, but "field gold"? Dude, come ON.
    I'm sorry, DD Dad, but I've been laughing for a good 25 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Hey if you get enough of them in a game it's like finding gold.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    The biggest concern tonight will be stopping Wake's guard penetration. Smith and Teague are incredibly quick and if Hale is on the court at the same time, then we will need to decide who guards who. Granted, they have not yet seen a team that can defend the perimiter like us, but if we get lazy on the switches, or someone is flat footed, we could be in for a long night. That said, I like our chances on paper... unfortunatley, there is no way to account for the emotion that will be filling LJ tonight.

I know the old saying about lies, damn lies and statistics, but they are not a very good 3 point shooting team. Hale's shooting percentage is just 0.311 and Smith is 0.339. Only Teague has a decent shooting percentage (0.382) but he only takes about 2.5 shoots per game.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Basketball, don't you guys know there is a race going on?
    I just knew someone would play the race card...

I think this game will come down to the matchups inside and how they play out. If Johnson and McFarland have huge nights, it could be close. I don't think that'll happen, though. I predict a halftime tie or close to it, then their frontcourt wears down in the second:

Duke 90
    Wake 75

I've had this game circled for a while because it reeks of a didn't-see-it-coming trap game. This is an easy game for Duke to overlook, though I don't think we will. On a related note, I think we're due for a sub-par performance at some point; that's just the nature of basketball.

We might not necessarily lose, but this team's played extremely good basketball for a solid two months now and you have to think they'll have a little turbulence at some point. I do think Duke will ultimately win this game and the ACC regular season crown but I'm not going to bank on a perfect 16-0. I'd be more than happy to take it but I won't expect it.

Why would Coach K wear a Gold tie to the Wake game??

I mean any color but the opposing team's color(s). I don't like it one bit. Would he wear a baby blue tie to play Carolina?

Is it possible that it's to honor Skip? I haven't heard anything, but that's my guess.

believe your right

WF Half time venting...

Spectacularly sloppy ball handling, lazy FT shooting, no boxing out...If we play like this another 20 minutes, we deserve to lose.

Duke is still on the bus waiting to play this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Genedoc View Post
    Spectacularly sloppy ball handling, lazy FT shooting, no boxing out...If we play like this another 20 minutes, we deserve to lose.
    Wow! All I gotta say is the guys need to get prepped for K's defibrillator at the half. That locker room will reek of some blistered paint.

I like our chances in the second half, however. We are not focused or mentally ready to play this basketball game tonight, and I can see it in our free throw percentage.

dth.

Wake is thoroughly outplaying us right now. Lots of bad turnovers so far, with Singler leading the way in that regard.

Wake is doing a good job around the rim defensively, too. We've had a lot of drives turned away by good defense around the rim.

Henderson still looks really tentative with that right hand. He's not finishing strong around the basket. We need him to get healthy before the ACC tourney.

We've got to do a better job of protecting the ball, rebounding, and defending their guards. Smith and Teague seem to be creating a lot of offense for them so far.

man...

this one is tough to watch.

Married??

I got married during game one of the 1997 World Seried in which the Marlins were playing. And we live in South Florida. Needless to say my new, dear husband spent the entire reception at the bar watching the game, with my father!

One of my best friends from Duke got married during the Duke-Kentucky game in 1992. We spent the whole reception watchign the game.

Things could be worse