Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB vs. Wake Forest Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I like this James Johnson kid, but the team overall just lacks talent. Interested to see how they do tonight against Florida St. before Duke makes the short trip on Sunday.

It's the featured Game of the Week on Alltel's pick'em competition here.

Duke MBB vs. Wake Forest Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

This look-in is a bit early, but I am getting married Saturday and suspect I may not find much more time before the game to get this down.

This game jumps out at me as a big danger game. Wake Forest has the profile of a team that we have more trouble forcing our game on. While they don't shoot terrifically well (eFG=48.6%, 220th), they are a TO-strong team. The offense generates TOs on 19.6% of possessions (77th) and the defense generates them 25.3% of the time (16th!). TOs are our strength and is well-correlated to our success so far. If we can't create our game, and have an off shooting night (like large stretches lately), we could be in for a long night. Combine that with WFU's 13-1 home and 1-7 away records, and you clearly see a trend favoring their better stats at home. Coming off an emotional stretch of games and heading back out on the road for the furthest trip (even though its just down in Winston) since the first Maryland game back on 1/27, we could be in for an upset.

And, I don't ever want to say a loss is a good thing, but no other team in the country has just one loss - only Memphis has less than two losses so far. Our SOS is rated 8 (Pom), 5 (RPI) and 20 (Sag). At some point, you have to ask yourself, is Duke really that much better than even most elite teams this year? Or are we likely to have another couple of losses before the Big Dance? Mind you, no team has ever won the whole enchilada with just one loss. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Duke will be ripe for an upset in the next few weeks, and this one has all the markings if you ask me.

And don't worry about my watching the game post-nuptials. The flight to Tahiti doesn't leave until Monday.

Congratulations on getting married; comments on Wake

Quote Originally Posted by mus074 View Post
    This look-in is a bit early, but I am getting married Saturday and suspect I may not find much more time before the game to get this down.

This game jumps out at me as a big danger game. Wake Forest has the profile of a team that we have more trouble forcing our game on. While they don't shoot terrifically well (eFG=48.6%, 220th), they are a TO-strong team. The offense generates TOs on 19.6% of possessions (77th) and the defense generates them 25.3% of the time (16th!). TOs are our strength and is well-correlated to our success so far. If we can't create our game, and have an off shooting night (like large stretches lately), we could be in for a long night. Combine that with WFU's 13-1 home and 1-7 away records, and you clearly see a trend favoring their better stats at home. Coming off an emotional stretch of games and heading back out on the road for the furthest trip (even though its just down in Winston) since the first Maryland game back on 1/27, we could be in for an upset.

And, I don't ever want to say a loss is a good thing, but no other team in the country has just one loss - only Memphis has less than two losses so far. Our SOS is rated 8 (Pom), 5 (RPI) and 20 (Sag). At some point, you have to ask yourself, is Duke really that much better than even most elite teams this year? Or are we likely to have another couple of losses before the Big Dance? Mind you, no team has ever won the whole enchilada with just one loss. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Duke will be ripe for an upset in the next few weeks, and this one has all the markings if you ask me.

And don't worry about my watching the game post-nuptials. The flight to Tahiti doesn't leave until Monday.
    So yeah, this is one of the 'war games' (started last night versus Maryland) that are going on with Duke now. That arena is always so pumped when Duke comes to town and it will be for this one as well. As usual, it's a mental thing with Duke going in and we are going to have to bring it from the tip. K is a master at getting the guys prepped but this game and several more down the stretch (at State, at Miami) will greatly test Duke before the rematch with the hated Holes.

dth.

I've watched Wake play many times this year, and I agree with the original poster that this could be a dangerous game. Wake has a very good backcourt with Ish Smith and Jeff Teague. Both guys penetrate very well so we may see a lot of Nolan in this game. Wake loves to run as well, so I think it will be a fast-paced game that will favor the team that can create more turnovers.

With that said, Wake has terrible outside shooting (although better at home) and doesn't scare me on the boards. They are like us in that they do not have a whole lot of depth up front, but James Johnson will suprise many of you if you haven't seen him play yet. He will be All-ACC before he is done at Wake (if he stays long enough).

Prediction: Duke 87 Wake 78

You're getting married Sunday? You do realize that every single wedding anniversary you have for the rest of your life (hopefully) is going to be in the middle of the college-basketball-stretch run. That romantic weekend at the ski resort or the Florida beaches? Sorry, honey big game this weekend.

Is it too late to move this back until after the Final Four?

That's why I got married during the holiday break. Almost never any games occur during that period, but the wife doesn't know that, so I use it to my advantage to score points.

"Yes, honey, it's the middle of college basketball season but I'll still take you out to dinner."

Brides and basketball

Who knows guys, this bride may love college basketball! A great anniversary celebration might well be attending a college basketball game.

Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You're getting married Sunday? You do realize that every single wedding anniversary you have for the rest of your life (hopefully) is going to be in the middle of the college-basketball-stretch run. That romantic weekend at the ski resort or the Florida beaches? Sorry, honey big game this weekend.

Yeah I got married a couple years ago on January 28th. It was the only logical day since my birthday is January 29th and the wife's is the 27th. After the wedding we rushed to do the family thing and then watch Duke play UVA. My wife thought I was joking that if Duke didn't win we might have to have the whole thing annuled and we wouldn't be consumating the marriage. For the record we didn't go on our honeymoon to Europe for 17 days until April. When people asked why, I told them we had to wait until basketball season was over.

I will be at the Wake game Sunday, last time I was in LJVMC several fights broke out. The Wake fans aren't as friendly as they used to be. But due to them having a less than stellar season I expect quite a few more Duke fans than the past few years.

Wake

Wake is indeed going to be a tough game. Duke will be up for it though- they are not looking past anyone. But I expect a close game- until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Who knows guys, this bride may love college basketball! A great anniversary celebration might well be attending a college basketball game.
    We went to the Roundball Classic once on our anniversary. I remember confused female coworkers saying "So...you're going to make him take you out somewhere nice for dinner on another night, right?" They had a hard time believing that I was the one who suggested going to the game.

PS Congrats mus074!

Reminds me of the time

Congrats on the wedding.
    Your priorities are indeed in order.

I am reminded of the weekend I spent at my future inlaws for the first time.
    My future Mother-in-law suggested that we all go to see a neighborhood kid give a speech at a Boy Scout event. This during a televised Duke /UNC game!
    (Given this is circa 1980, televised games were precious indeed) As a loyal Duke alum and Cameron Crazy (not so yet named) I compromised by extracting their family TV (not portable) and carried it to the auditorium. Set it up in the lobby with rabbit ear antenna, and sat cross legged on the floor.
    Missing only a few minutes to witness the speech, I think I properly established priorities with my wife's family.

They are no longer surprised by what I will do to catch a Duke game!

Oh, and I agree that this is a potential trip up game!

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Try getting married on March 25, 1978

My wedding anniversary is March 25 and it has been a challenge each year to find ways to work in March Madness with the anniversary. So moving any planned weddings back to after the Final Four could be better. However, I have two things going for me. My wife is also a Duke b-ball fanatic, and the fact that we got married in 1978, on the day that Duke (with Spanarkel, Gminski, Banks, Dennard and team) won the NCAA semifinals against Notre Dame. What a glorious day that was! We were lucky that we scheduled the wedding for 7 pm (done months in advance before we even dreamed Duke would be in it) and we were lukcy that all of our closest friends and relatives were at our house all afternoon cheering for Duke, including my future brother-in-law, who happened to be a Kentucky grad. That experience helped build bonds that have withstood the tests of three decades and made it so much better for planning what we do each year for our anniversary.

On the other hand, if Duke were to have lost....

Grey Devil

Feb was far better than March. And she loves hoops too. I'll be alright. And its Saturday.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    Congrats on the wedding.
    Your priorities are indeed in order.

I am reminded of the weekend I spent at my future inlaws for the first time.
    My future Mother-in-law suggested that we all go to see a neighborhood kid give a speech at a Boy Scout event. This during a televised Duke /UNC game!
    (Given this is circa 1980, televised games were precious indeed) As a loyal Duke alum and Cameron Crazy (not so yet named) I compromised by extracting their family TV (not portable) and carried it to the auditorium. Set it up in the lobby with rabbit ear antenna, and sat cross legged on the floor.
    Missing only a few minutes to witness the speech, I think I properly established priorities with my wife's family.

They are no longer surprised by what I will do to catch a Duke game!

Oh, and I agree that this is a potential trip up game!
    I can't compete with that story of devotion. But I will say I made sure my BlackBerry 8830 will work in French Polynesia. We agreed to leave both our BBs off during the trip but take them for use up to LAX. We are both in-house at the same large company (says a lot about my social skills, eh?) and have a hard time believing the world goes on without us. But my phone will get me internet updates on the Miami and St. John's games (Georgia Tech will be while we are in the air leaving ATL for home.).

So, to summarize: BB for following Duke, off for the rest of the honeymoon in the overwater bungalow. I absolutely have my priorities in order.

Worried

For some reason I am worried about tonights game with Wake. I will be attending and perhaps I am worrying I will run my mouth too much and a brawl will break out. Maybe I'm worried that this is a road game and MD gave us such a good game at Cameron. Maybe I'm worried that I have to use premium unleaded and the drive to the game is going to cost me more than the tickets themselves. Wake seems to be getting their feet under them as of late and we all know Duke gets everyones best shot. Past games with Wake have been on the physical side, I hope this game doesn't sink to the depths of FSU or VT. And I hope Duke jumps on them early to keep the crowd out of it so I can actually be heard from the nose bleed area.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    mus074, you said you don't want to say a loss is a good thing, but I think we had the perfect good loss this season. Pitt showed us the toughness that it takes to win a close game, and thanks to that toughness that we haven't had many close games since. This team has shown that it will not let anybody push us around.
    The only really bad loss is the last one of the year.
    Congrats on your marriage, I hope she understands your behavorial changes from November to April.

Once again, DBR portrays our next opponent as if they were the second coming of the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics. However, if you look at Wake's team statistics they are really horrendous:

3 point shooting % = .320
    Free throw % = .663
    Field gold % = .436

Duke’s statistics are significantly better:

3 point shooting % = .393
    Free throw % = .688
    Field gold % = .478

Also, if you look at who they beat in the ACC it is VT, FSU (twice), Miami and Virginia. Thus 4 of their 5 ACC wins were against the bottom teams in the ACC. Their ACC loses were to BC, MD, GT, Clemson, NC State. NCST, BC and GT are the next three teams from the bottom. In other words it wasn’t just good teams they lost to. Thus unless we have a really bad off night and Wake catches on fire, I don’t expect us to loose.

Standard disclaimer: On any given day any team can beat any other team.

Yeah But...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Once again, DBR portrays our next opponent as if they were the second coming of the Bill Russell led Boston Celtics. However, if you look at Wake's team statistics they are really horrendous:

3 point shooting % = .320
    Free throw % = .663
    Field gold % = .436

Duke’s statistics are significantly better:

3 point shooting % = .393
    Free throw % = .688
    Field gold % = .478

Also, if you look at who they beat in the ACC it is VT, FSU (twice), Miami and Virginia. Thus 4 of their 5 ACC wins were against the bottom teams in the ACC. Their ACC loses were to BC, MD, GT, Clemson, NC State. NCST, BC and GT are the next three teams from the bottom. In other words it wasn’t just good teams they lost to. Thus unless we have a really bad off night and Wake catches on fire, I don’t expect us to loose.

Standard disclaimer: On any given day any team can beat any other team.
    Tripple D, you are right in everything you say. But Wake hasn't been playing as badly as their season averages over the last four games. (They might not have won their last game if one of their players didn't take a punch however.) I don't have the stats handy, but ACC wins are hard for every team to come by this year. And as always every team Duke faces gives it their best shot. I look for Paulus and Nelson to provide strong senior leadership on the road and I think Duke will win too. But when teams see a Duke jersey across from them they come out playing like the Lakers sometimes. Thank God Coach K is THE BEST in getting his team ready to win games they SHOULD win.

PS
    Could someone, perhaps one of the moderators explain the ranking system from lowest to highest. I think walk on would be a new poster after that I'm a little bit hazy on the steps along the way and the posts required to atain each level.

Basketball, don't you guys know there is a race going on?

Race?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Basketball, don't you guys know there is a race going on?
    That is a racist comment, lol. Or would it be raceist. As long as ESPN has replays of all the wrecks is all that's important. Go Burtons! At least we know they are Duke fans!