View Poll Results: Who is your favorite current Duke player?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg Paulus

23 17.16%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

24 17.91%
  • Gerald Henderson

16 11.94%
  • Kyle Singler

25 18.66%
  • Lance Thomas

3 2.24%
  • Jon Scheyer

25 18.66%
  • Dave McClure

4 2.99%
  • Nolan Smith

6 4.48%
  • Taylor King

4 2.99%
  • Brian Zoubek

1 0.75%
  • Marty Pocius

1 0.75%
  • The Crazy Towel Guy

2 1.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who is your favorite CURRENT Duke player?

Since this year's team has been so much fun, I figured it would be good to start a poll just for fun. I don't think I've seen a poll/discussion about this subject - it's mostly been about former players.

I'm looking for who your favorite player is, not who the best/most valuable is. I don't want this to be a discussion about the strengths/weaknesses of individual players' games. I just want to hear what player they LIKE the best, for whatever reason it may be, stupid or not.

I'll start. My favorite current player is G. It's based on a purely aesthetic appreciation of his game - it's just so beautiful to watch. His movements are increedibly fluid, and he makes getting his head above the rim look easy. If you look up "fast-twitch muscle" in the dictionary, you'd see a pic of G next to it. Dude could be a world-class high-jumper. Lucky for him, basketball is more lucrative. So there you go. Who's your favorite Dukie?

MARTY - cause he needs the love!

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    MARTY - cause he needs the love!
    If you feel that way, then you should vote for him.

Me, I'm taking Nolan. I love this team and they are so much fun to watch, but I'm rollin' Nolan right now because he's such a lock down defender and the future looks so bright!

GO TO WORK!

Screw the Poll

My fave is the team as a whole and I'm not going to participate in this poll. What I respond to is team play and that's what impresses me in this year's Blue Devil vintage. I don't think I've felt as strongly about any other Duke team in the 44 years (too many ) I've been a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    If you feel that way, then you should vote for him.
    There was no poll available when I posted.

Singler

Singler ... because he's iron. And because the only player I was more excited about as an incoming freshman was Grant Hill, and he has lived up to the expectations.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

So far, mine is the only vote for Jon. I agree that it's hard to find a favorite on such a balanced team but, if I need to pick one, he's my choice. Kyle would be my choice for *best* player and Greg or DM for mid-season MVP. But there's something about Jon's alert style that I really enjoy watching.

I'm going with Demarcus. I'm partial to guys that stay all four years. Also, he's really worked hard to overcome injuries and he's really stepped up this season.

Old Fashioned Vote

I say Paulus. No current player has taken more heat, nor shown more heart. Greg has been criticized at great length, but both at the end of last year and throughout this season he has repeatedly stepped up when we needed him. Fortunately, this year others are joining him.

While Nelson and Singler have been tremendously valuable and fun to watch this year (as has everyone else), I get the sense that EVERYONE wants to show Greg up. he is tested as much as anyone and frequently comes out ahead with gritty toughness and that sweet (and growing quicker) J.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    So far, mine is the only vote for Jon. I agree that it's hard to find a favorite on such a balanced team but, if I need to pick one, he's my choice. Kyle would be my choice for *best* player and Greg or DM for mid-season MVP. But there's something about Jon's alert style that I really enjoy watching.
    Agreed. I voted Singler because he intrigues me the most. I'm interested to see "what he'll do next." Along those same lines is Henderson.

But Jon. He's my favorite in many ways. I'm facinated by how smart he plays. Even when he's not lighting up the scoreboard he's doing a ton of other things that makes the team as a whole better. He's just...solid.

-EJ

I voted for Taylor. He has shown some flashes this season and has been disappointing at times. The thing I like the most is he is always positive no matter his or the teams situation. If he is not going good, he is the first one off the bench during timeouts to encourage his teammates. I love his excitement and team first attitude!

I am a HUGE Smith fan...I went on record with family and friends saying that when all is said and done, he will be the most complete guard to have played for Duke since Dawkins. I love his defense. He is a fearless warrior taking the ball to the basket and he is solid ballhandler. Players respond to his leadership. He was the only underclassman captain of Oak Hill's basketball program. I view him as a "collage" of the finer traits of Battier, Williams and Amaker. Mark my words, we will win a national title when he is the starting PG...not a scintilla of doubt in my mind. I have not been this sure of a player's potential since I saw a 14 yo Allen Iverson coming off the bench for the Boo Williams AAU all-star team in the 80s.

Screw the poll

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    My fave is the team as a whole and I'm not going to participate in this poll. What I respond to is team play and that's what impresses me in this year's Blue Devil vintage. I don't think I've felt as strongly about any other Duke team in the 44 years (too many ) I've been a fan.

Put me down for this as well. I cannot remember a group that exeplifies TEAM like this group does, or at least not in many a year. I like them BECAUSE they all buy into the team concept so thoroughly and they all bring different strengths.

It's about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

14. Quote Originally Posted by NW Indiana Dukie View Post
    I voted for Taylor. He has shown some flashes this season and has been disappointing at times. The thing I like the most is he is always positive no matter his or the teams situation. If he is not going good, he is the first one off the bench during timeouts to encourage his teammates. I love his excitement and team first attitude!
    I'll second this sentiment. When I first saw Taylor I was worried that he'd bring a laid back, "too cool for school" attitude. Maybe it was the backward ballcap or the Biff Tannen look, but I didn't expect a guy who is always so enthused for his teammates. Jon deservedly gets a ton of credit for accepting a new role, but Taylor can spend an entire game on the bench and still have a big smile and hearty cheer for his teammates. I love his attitude, and his gunslinger's mentality will pay dividends down the road.

All that said, my vote went to Lance. He's also had an incredible attitude, and I adopted him early on as my next Dockery: a defensive dynamo that sacrifices his game and his body for the team. It has been really gratifying to watch Lance go from a minor disappointment (as a player, never as a person) to the most improved guy on the team. The way he battled Hansblabla throughout the UNC game and still came out with some key blocks and surprisingly good post moves announced his arrival and he's never looked back.

Of course, if there was a "team" option, I'd vote for that, and every guy on the team would be high on my list in most seasons. This is a REALLY special team that has reinvigorated my passion for college basketball in a major way.

Gotta go with DMarc.

As much as I'd love to go with the more "entertaining" players who provide more "OMG did he just do that" moments, (e.g. TK's 3s from half court, Hendo's dunks, Kyle Singler being Iron) I have to pick the guy who does the most to help us win.

Nelson's a shut-down defender, our best pound-for-pound rebounder, and the motor that makes the offense go. He plays with a quiet mean streak that I love; he doesn't let anything or anyone get bewteen him and the basket. That toughness is going to pay off huge in March.

Kyle because he seems to be having such a great time while out there playing. Often he can be caught with a smile on his face.

TEAM. I like em all.

I like how the guys play really well together and there are five our six that can be the leading scorer or MOTM in any particular game.

Nolan Smith baby!

dth.

I was really torn. It is hard to separate favorite from best. I ended up voting for Jon, second choice Greg. There are really an amazing number of good choices -- 8 Mickey D's. My word, how can you rule some of these out? And they all seem to be straight arrow, good guys. Maybe Coach K ought to be on the ballot. Can I vote again?

Henderson - Best Player and Favorite
    Singler - Most Important
    Nelson - Best Leader
    Paulus - Most clutch on the spot up three
    Thomas - Most Improved of late