Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Come on Mr. Henderson

Gerald time to get out of your funk

You can add Taylor to that list. Man he has really been sturggling as of late.

Wrist

Gerald is injured (wrist) and it sounds like he will be dealing with that problem for the rest of the season. Coach said he really gutted it out for the whole game.

He single handedly carried us through the Pitt game and has had only a few great games since then.

TK is signifficant against insignifficant teams

Gerald is injured (wrist) and it sounds like he will be dealing with that problem for the rest of the season. Coach said he really gutted it out for the whole game.
    That's unfortunate to hear. I thought he played a good second half against UNC (that was post-wrist injury) and decently against BC. He just wasn't aggressive at all. I wonder what the extent of his injury is. A healthy and aggressive Henderson could be the difference between an Elite 8 and a Final Four, I think.

G's Wrist

Does anyone know the nature of his wrist injury? I hope it is something that he can play through and will not affect his game significantly for the rest of this season.

Some of his shots just didn't fall tonight and he wasn't too aggressive towards the basket and im sure it was because of Gist and Osby.

He did go up for a big slam and was fouled. Im sure everything is fine. It just wasn't his night.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Gerald time to get out of your funk
    I completely disagree with your assumption that Gerald is in a funk. There is more to the game than scoring points. GH had 7 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists, and only 1 turnover in the game. That is a significant contribution, especially considering he is playing hurt.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebacker View Post
    Some of his shots just didn't fall tonight and he wasn't too aggressive towards the basket and im sure it was because of Gist and Osby.

He did go up for a big slam and was fouled. Im sure everything is fine. It just wasn't his night.

I HOPE that is the case because K said " that he will likely have a sore wrist the rest of the season and it may not be 100%. " - he has not been the same since that bandage has been on .

It's the "some of his shots just didn't fall" that concerns me - aggressiveness is probably not related to the wrist...FG% may be. Anyone really know here?

I had no idea the wrist was/is this big on an issue. I have a hard time believing K would play Gerald 28 minutes if the issue was that bad. Henderson is a scorer thats what Duke needs him to do. As much as I love this team, if Gerald is having 8, 9 and 2 point games Duke will be watchin the Final 4 with us.

I thought Gerald was absolutely huge on the defensive end in some possessions. One possession, we had a turn-over or something, 2 terps raced down the court and G was the only one that just zipped down to the paint and altered a layup. And he didn't foul on that move. It was a play full of heart.

Gerald's drop in production comes right with the last 3 games, ,where he hurt his wrist vs carolina. This is not surprising.

If he heals fast, he'll get better fast. And he's able to play with the other wrist, but he's not at 100% , and that will affect us.

More than scoring!

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I thought Gerald was absolutely huge on the defensive end in some possessions. One possession, we had a turn-over or something, 2 terps raced down the court and G was the only one that just zipped down to the paint and altered a layup. And he didn't foul on that move. It was a play full of heart.
    Guys, Gerald had a huge game. I wish people could let up on his points and watch what else he does. What about DeMarcus? Those were very quiet points tonight... he didn't play particularly well on the offensive end... are you ready to ask him to get out of his funk?

Kyle, Greg, and Jon were huge... and Lance played a beautiful game without scoring. These players are doing a really good job, and they were especially good in the first half tonight.

Go Duke!
    DukeDevilDeb

Henderson definitely is still bothered by his wrist. It hurts to catch passes and his shot is affected.

Still, he had 7 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists, 1 turnover, and some pretty solid D; check out the shooting % for the Maryland wings. Doesn't seem like a funk to me.

G is growing as a player-he had impact tonight without scoring, as indicated by various others above. Really becoming a strong end-to-end force on both sides of the ball.

What's worrying me are the two other frosh-Taylor and Nolan seem out of it. Going to need them the rest of the way. Taylor in particular seems to really be struggling.

Let's hope K (or their teammates) can jump-start them.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Guys, Gerald had a huge game. I wish people could let up on his points and watch what else he does. What about DeMarcus? Those were very quiet points tonight... he didn't play particularly well on the offensive end... are you ready to ask him to get out of his funk?

Kyle, Greg, and Jon were huge... and Lance played a beautiful game without scoring. These players are doing a really good job, and they were especially good in the first half tonight.

Go Duke!
    No one is arguing that Gerrald didn't have a great impact on the game - I fully agree his defense and intensity were very nice!.

* The thing is you can do that with a bum wrist (defense, rebounds, etc). It is your shooting that often 'slumps' with a bad wrist and that seems to have had a direct coorelation with when the bandage appeared. We need his defense, rebounding and OFFENSE TOO ! That is why the concern. One game - no worries...it is that it is three or so games, all since the bandage...

As someone said elsewhere, the more O options you have, the better - and G is definitely one of the options we need in March.

Anyone know is it just 'banged up' or is their any real damage?

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    I had no idea the wrist was/is this big on an issue. I have a hard time believing K would play Gerald 28 minutes if the issue was that bad. Henderson is a scorer thats what Duke needs him to do. As much as I love this team, if Gerald is having 8, 9 and 2 point games Duke will be watchin the Final 4 with us.
    You're adding nothing to the discussion by continually criticizing Henderson with absolutely no knowledge of his injury situation. You might want to find a new topic upon which to fixate after a 12-point win.

I talked to G's dad at the BC game, and asked him, "How bad is the wrist?", and he just shook his head and said, "It's bad man". Not sure whether he was just annoyed to have a crazy asking him questions about his son or what, but it wasn't the most encouraging interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I completely disagree with your assumption that Gerald is in a funk. There is more to the game than scoring points. GH had 7 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists, and only 1 turnover in the game. That is a significant contribution, especially considering he is playing hurt.
    I agree. His defense sometimes gets overlooked, which is understandable to some, but not me. Just because he's not scoring 15+ points every game doesn't mean he's in a funk.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    I talked to G's dad at the BC game, and asked him, "How bad is the wrist?", and he just shook his head and said, "It's bad man". Not sure whether he was just annoyed to have a crazy asking him questions about his son or what, but it wasn't the most encouraging interaction.
    yikes.