Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Columnist

New Columnist

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm thrilled at the idea that the Play Caller will be a regular and hopefully frequent columnist for DBR. This is a great idea, one that is long overdue.

Lots of the threads started here are caused by perceived errors in officiating. We rant, we rave, we say "Hansbrough gets all the calls." But many of us don't get the chance to see the game up close and, therefore, don't have much insight into what the officials are doing.

I found two statements in this opening column fascinating:

1. 'Once one grasps this division of labor and some of the more nuanced ideas that guide officials’ judgments, some very entertaining questions become readily accessible, such as why DeMarcus Nelson’s technical foul against Virginia Tech may have been the highest quality call of the year in the ACC' (can't wait to read that explanation!).

and

2. 'Most importantly, why Tyler Hansbrough gets away with traveling so often.

One of the things I truly love about DBR is how much I learn every time I read the threads. Jumbo, Jason, Bob, throaty, Julio... lots of these people know much more about basketball than I. But this will really give a unique perspective!

Once again, thanks DBR for being the best damn site on the whole Internet. I cannot imagine what I would do if I could no longer have you as my home page.
    DukeDevilDeb

This is a GREAT idea. I hope our Playcaller brings his expertise (and I'm using that phrase loosely ) to this table as often as possible.
    I also hope he's got a sense of humor.

I, for one, think that this is superfluous, what with Feldspar and all. I wouldn't want to be this guy if he should get one wrong!

You beat me to it, Greybeard.

I am really excited about the Play Caller so that we don't have to be subjected to Feldspar's lectures on officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I, for one, think that this is superfluous, what with Feldspar and all. I wouldn't want to be this guy if he should get one wrong!

IF?!

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    I am really excited about the Play Caller so that we don't have to be subjected to Feldspar's lectures on officiating.
    What if the Play Caller is Feldspar? Wouldn't that blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    ... such as why DeMarcus Nelson’s technical foul against Virginia Tech may have been the highest quality call of the year in the ACC' ...
    Yeah I really hope he expounds on that because what the hell

I too am exited about the Playcaller.

However, I dread the day when he tells us we have no reason to whine about the refs after a bad loss:
    1) because he'd be right, and
    2) because sometimes I need an excuse to keep my head from exploding.

I, for one, would love to know why our guys keep getting Ts for verbally (not physically) responding to blatantly hard fouls (e.g. Singler's T on Saturday).

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    What if the Play Caller is Feldspar? Wouldn't that blow your mind
    I hope he's Karl Hesse.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I, for one, would love to know why our guys keep getting Ts for verbally (not physically) responding to blatantly hard fouls (e.g. Singler's T on Saturday).
    I'd try to explain, but I'd hate to be perceived as lecturing anyone.

I emailed Play Caller about the Gerald Henderson travel call in the UNC game that was discussed on the board. Here's an excerpt from his response...

I'll definitely be mentioning this play in a future column. The truth is that there's really not a whole lot to say. The best college official in the country, Tony Green, missed this one. He won't miss another one like that for a decade.

I knew it!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I emailed Play Caller about the Gerald Henderson travel call in the UNC game that was discussed on the board. Here's an excerpt from his response...

I'll definitely be mentioning this play in a future column. The truth is that there's really not a whole lot to say. The best college official in the country, Tony Green, missed this one. He won't miss another one like that for a decade.
    Play Caller is Hank Nichols!

Two words: Lennie Wurtz!
    ~rthomas

I'd love to hear Play Caller's explanation for the end of the 'Nova/Georgetown game. For those who didn't see it, the game was tied. Nova had the last possession and Scottie Reynolds drove the lane. There was some contact but a probably good no-call. He made a bad pass, and with 1 second left Georgetown got the ball. The Georgetown player (Wallace I think) then went to dribble out the clock. With 0.1 seconds left he was barely bumped, and I mean barely. The ref called the blocking foul and Wallace made the free throw. Game over. I'd love to hear the rationale behind that call versus the no-call right before. It was a travesty, and the announcers were saying so. Terrible end to the game. In the words of the announcers, "awful."

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Two words: Lennie Wurtz!
    That's Lenny Wirtz...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...22/ai_20165859

I can tell from his article that he isn't Lenny Wirtz. He has too good a sense for the game. He must have played collegiate hoops somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hope he's Karl Hesse.
    Don't you think Karl Hesse has been around for more than 9 years?! His first column said, "The Play Caller is a nine-year high school and college basketball official who happens to be a Duke fan. "
    DukeDevilDeb

lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    you are all wrong-it is lennie worst

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    I'd love to hear Play Caller's explanation for the end of the 'Nova/Georgetown game. For those who didn't see it, the game was tied. Nova had the last possession and Scottie Reynolds drove the lane. There was some contact but a probably good no-call. He made a bad pass, and with 1 second left Georgetown got the ball. The Georgetown player (Wallace I think) then went to dribble out the clock. With 0.1 seconds left he was barely bumped, and I mean barely. The ref called the blocking foul and Wallace made the free throw. Game over. I'd love to hear the rationale behind that call versus the no-call right before. It was a travesty, and the announcers were saying so. Terrible end to the game. In the words of the announcers, "awful."
    You got your wish.

What an excellent essay; it opens up an aspect of the game that is important and rarely discussed--great job, Play Caller. Keep it up...