What is Dallas Thinking? (Kidd for Harris Trade)

"That takes us to an aspect of this trade nobody is paying any attention to: Harris' huge impact on the Mavs' success over the past two seasons. In 2006-07, when Dallas won 67 games, guess who had the biggest on-court vs. off-court point differential? Hint: It wasn't the MVP. According to 82games.com, Dallas was a whopping +14.2 points per 48 minutes with Harris on the court. Moreover, the Harris-Nowitzki combo was the single most effective player combination in the league..."

Seriously, Kidd's turning 36, Harris 26... Harris already has a higher PER. Would you trade these two straight up?

How about on Dallas's side having to throw in Diop (Dallas's starting center - and only good defensive interior presense) and Stackhouse?

I think I'm going to apply to be a GM as my first job when I graduate in a year.

It looks like a bunch of teams think it's this year or bust. Someone is going to be disappointed...And I like the Lakers best going forward anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    It looks like a bunch of teams think it's this year or bust. Someone is going to be disappointed...And I like the Lakers best going forward anyway.
    I agree. There are some teams that are setting themselves up for the future. Marion & Wade together for the Heat + a good draft pick. Jefferson & Gomes + the draft for the Timberwolves. Green & Durant + draft for the Sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by jzp5079 View Post
    How about on Dallas's side having to throw in Diop (Dallas's starting center - and only good defensive interior presense) and Stackhouse?

Not to mention two first round draft picks from Dallas, at least if initial reports are right.

Looks like it wont happen, just not yet.
    Devean George blocked it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Looks like it wont happen, just not yet.
    Devean George blocked it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818

Oh my word. A huge trade that could put the Mavs over the top and it's stopped by...Devean George?!?! Are you kidding me? Can they just throw someone else in the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    It looks like a bunch of teams think it's this year or bust...
    Agreed. And Devean George notwithstanding, they'll get this deal through somehow. NBA playoffs (the only part of the season I really watch) are gonna be a blast this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Oh my word. A huge trade that could put the Mavs over the top and it's stopped by...Devean George?!?! Are you kidding me? Can they just throw someone else in the deal?
    I'm a Mavs fan and I cant believe Devean George is such and a-hole. The Mavs should have beaten Miami in the Finals. The can no longer build for the future because their time is now. The Lakers just made a major upgrade with Gasol and Kidd would be a major upgrade to the Mavs. Think about the lineup

PG-Kidd
    SG- Terry
    SF- Howard
    PF- Nowitzki
    C- Dampier

Oh they would be good

I think Kidd for anyone, two, or three guys is a fair trade. However, I dont think there is enough time left in the season for it to make a difference. As a point guard you have to learn how the rest of the team operates to be truly effective. This should take at least 20-30 games to figure out IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    I think Kidd for anyone, two, or three guys is a fair trade. However, I dont think there is enough time left in the season for it to make a difference. As a point guard you have to learn how the rest of the team operates to be truly effective. This should take at least 20-30 games to figure out IMO.
    On the other hand, I think the West is so tightly bunched this season that any given team just needs to make the playoffs and basically have it figured out by the time they get there (see Golden State last season). There's more than enough time for the Mavs to make Kidd fit.

Think about the lineup

PG-Kidd
    SG- Terry
    SF- Howard
    PF- Nowitzki
    C- Dampier

Oh they would be good
    I don't think Terry will start. I think Howard will play the two and the strong young dude plays forward. Terry is too explosive off the bench, and Kidd will need rest.

I do agree that they will be good. They are already, and Kidd adds a level of physical force to go with his skill that will make this team more powerful. Along with everything else, Kidd is among the most powerful guards I believe I have ever seen.

I'm a Mavs fan and I cant believe Devean George is such and a-hole. The Mavs should have beaten Miami in the Finals. The can no longer build for the future because their time is now. The Lakers just made a major upgrade with Gasol and Kidd would be a major upgrade to the Mavs. Think about the lineup

PG-Kidd
    SG- Terry
    SF- Howard
    PF- Nowitzki
    C- Dampier

Oh they would be good
    George stands to make a lot more money in the offseason, apparently, if he ends the year on the Mavs. Why wouldn't he block the trade? The Mavs are going further than the Nets regardless of whether the trade goes through or not. I'd prefer to be on the better team AND get more money.

It's a no win situation for George -- worse team and less money as a free agent, or the animosity of Mav fans. Plus, if the Mavs are trading him, it's not like he has a duty to help them out.

As someone else said -- I am sure the Mavs can throw someone else in.

I haven't read the details, but there is also the issue of the salary cap. When Kidd retires, that will free up money for the Mavs to get another star in free agency. And, as pointed out elsewhere, these teams want to win this year..