Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

And the winner is (dogs)

It took them 100 years, but they finally got it right. Last night the Westminster dog show confirmed what all rational people have known all along.
    Beagles Rule!

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    It took them 100 years, but they finally got it right. Last night the Westminster dog show confirmed what all rational people have known all along.
    Beagles Rule!

Congrats to Snoopy. That's a great dog.

I was cheering for him last night! So cute! And I loved his ahrooooo echoing in the Garden. It's about time a good ole hound dog won.

Beagles are the greatest!!!

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    I'm still ticked off that either the Irish Terrier didn't win its group.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I was cheering for him last night! So cute! And I loved his ahrooooo echoing in the Garden. It's about time a good ole hound dog won.
    My cocker spaniel always yells at us like that, "ahroooooo." A little modified howl to get our attention. When he gets in the howling mood, I always break out my favorite terrible joke:

Me: "Hey Booch, how do you make gravy?"
    Booch: "A roooooux!"

A little help from doggie heaven

One of my co-workers had to put down her beagle on Sunday, and my boys' best friend was a beagle who had to be put down last year. I like to think that those two were side by side pullin' some big strings for Uno. He sure is adorable.

Beagles Rule!

As someone who is owned by a (champion) airedale, I always root for the terriers. HOWEVER, the beagle had spunk and a presence. Won the crowd over.

As an (irrelevant) aside, Margery Good, the owner/handler of the Sealyham Terrier (Charmin) in the best of show portion of the show also handled my airedale and brought him to his championship.

this seems like a good thread to pose my question:

I would like to get a dog in the next year or so. I will be living in an apartment, so I am not sure that a big dog is ideal. However, I also run a lot and would like a dog that is playful, can go on a job with me, and will chase a ball around the park.

I would also like a dog that will keep shedding to a minimum . . .

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post

I would like to get a dog in the next year or so. I will be living in an apartment, so I am not sure that a big dog is ideal. However, I also run a lot and would like a dog that is playful, can go on a job with me, and will chase a ball around the park.

I would also like a dog that will keep shedding to a minimum . . . Any suggestions?
    As noted above, I'm partial to terriers. But that being said...

A number of the terriers have HAIR not fur, so not only don't they shed, but they also are good for those with allergies (little dander).

They a spunky and playful. BUT...the personality is sometimes overwhelming, and some are really "bounce off wall" types, e.g., the Parson (formerly Jack Russell) Terrier.

Best is to go to the AKC website and research the breeds and their characteristics. Visit a benching dog show and talk to the breeders as well. All are gernerally happy to discuss their "children.".

Also, you didn;t mention if you have kid(s). If so, that;s obviously a consideration.

Good luck. Dogs rule (oops, stole that one!)

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Me: "Hey Booch, how do you make gravy?"
    Booch: "A roooooux!"
    I'm really sorry you felt the need to share that with us!

Any suggestions?
    As much as I love them, a beagle probably isn't a good reccomendation. They don't shed too badly given their short hair, they are a good size for an apartment dog, they are playful, will run, but, and this is a boggie . . . you can't let them off their leash anywhere that is not really well fenced,no matter how well trained you think they are. They are ruled by thier nose. They get a whiff of something they feel compelelled to check out and they are off.

As much as I love them, a beagle probably isn't a good reccomendation. They don't shed too badly given their short hair, they are a good size for an apartment dog, they are playful, will run, but, and this is a boggie . . . you can't let them off their leash anywhere that is not really well fenced,no matter how well trained you think they are. They are ruled by thier nose. They get a whiff of something they feel compelelled to check out and they are off.
    It's that hound-thing (tracking), I guess....

Any suggestions?
    Go to your local animal shelter and rescue a great dog! The employees at the shelter should be able to tell you about the personality of the dogs there.

Poodles, shih tzus, and Bichons Frises also don't shed. I'm not particularly crazy about any of these breeds in purebred form, but each makes for half of numerous mixes, ranging in size from Pekapoo (Pekingese/Poodle) to Labradoodle (Labrador/poodle).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Poodles, shih tzus, and Bichons Frises also don't shed. I'm not particularly crazy about any of these breeds in purebred form, but each makes for half of numerous mixes, ranging in size from Pekapoo (Pekingese/Poodle) to Labradoodle (Labrador/poodle).
    Cockapoo FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    Go to your local animal shelter and rescue a great dog! The employees at the shelter should be able to tell you about the personality of the dogs there.
    Agreed, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I'm really sorry you felt the need to share that with us!
    He thinks it's funny. That's all that matters.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    As someone who is owned by a (champion) airedale, I always root for the terriers.
    Typical of almost anyone who has a terrier.

As an (irrelevant) aside, Margery Good, the owner/handler of the Sealyham Terrier (Charmin) in the best of show portion of the show also handled my airedale and brought him to his championship.
    What level did your Airedale win at?

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Typical of almost anyone who has a terrier.
    Of course. Breed=owner. :-)

[/QUOTE]What level did your Airedale win at?[/QUOTE]

Regional shows. Never went past because frankly I missed him being around. Did the Florida and Cherry Blossom circuit, for example. First win, in fact, was Columbia Terrier Assoc of MD (major, of all things - 5 pts!)

See that your location is Ontario. His father was Canadian I believe. if you know Airedales, his name was Harley.