Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Random Fact Depository

At no point does a bridge cross the amazon river.

The word Singapore comes from the words Singa (tiger) and pura (city). There is no evidence lions ever lived in Singapore.

In order to maintain its air-speed, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    In order to maintain its air-speed, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second.
    African or European?

(And the Keeper of the Gate goes screaming off the cliff.)

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    On 26 April 1315, the first Parliament of Scotland was held at St. John's Tower in Ayr Scotland (my hometown) by Robert The Bruce.

Spanish moss is neither Spanish- it ranges from Virginia to Argentina along the coastal plain; nor is it a moss- it is a vascular, flowering plant (unlike mosses) related to pineapples.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    Spanish moss is neither Spanish- it ranges from Virginia to Argentina along the coastal plain; nor is it a moss- it is a vascular, flowering plant (unlike mosses) related to pineapples.
    that's more of SNL Coffee Talk territory... :-p Speaking of which, the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    that's more of SNL Coffee Talk territory... :-p Speaking of which, the peanut is neither a pea nor a nut.
    The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, Roman, nor an Empire. Discuss.

The word Singapore comes from the words Singa (tiger) and pura (city). There is no evidence lions ever lived in Singapore.
    There is no evidence that Vikings ever wore horned helmets.

The word 'sycophant' translates to 'fig revealer' in ancient Greek. While there are several theories for the etymology, we don't really know how it got its meaning.

In NC, the law requires one to be 21 years of age to participate in:

1. Drinking alcoholic beverages;

2. Being a Mortician; and

3. Pilot a ferry boat on the Cape Fear River.

Wow I messed that up really bad and I can't edit any more. Singa means lion, Singapore has no lions.

I'll add one more: Hawaii is the only U.S. state that is still growing in area.

The University of San Francisco is the only school to win a National Championship in basketball and then subsequently suspend their program only to bring it back about 3 years later.

There is only one person to ever win both the Hobie-Baker (Top College Hockey Player) and the Calder (NHL Rookie of the Year)...

There is only one person to ever win a Stanley Cup and a Little League World Series...

Both are Chris Drury.

Wow I messed that up really bad and I can't edit any more. Singa means lion, Singapore has no lions.

I'll add one more: Hawaii is the only U.S. state that is still growing in area.
    Although I read last week that Georgia was trying to annex part of Tennessee that contains a lake so Georgia could have the water.
    ~rthomas

Singa means lion, Singapore has no lions.
    Singapore has no lions. But it has a Merlion.

Have tigers ever lived there?

Quote Originally Posted by xenic View Post
    Have tigers ever lived there?
    yeah i messed that one up - meant to say lion for both

OK... I'll replace it with:

Franklin, New Jersey, is the Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World.

(only a couple miles from where I grew up!)

When you go into the Duke Chapel there are 4 (I think) saints on either side. I have no idea who 5 of the 8 saints are, but I think three of them are Robert E Lee, Jefferson Davis, and Stonewall Jackson