Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

End of game: Georgetown vs. Villanova

If you didn't see it, probably one of the worst calls to end a game.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    If you didn't see it, probably one of the worst calls to end a game.
    Probably one of the two worst calls tonight. Then again, the Texas-Kansas game isn't over yet.

The women's game between Rutgers and Tennessee had a very bad ending also. The clock paused at 0.2 seconds. How does a clock pause? Someone turns it off...when they shouldn't have.

And yes, the G-town-Nova ending shouldn't have ended that way. Maybe something wrong with the Big East/SEC refs? (Not sure who worked the women's game.)

If either one of those calls happened in a Duke game (a la Clemson last year or the BC game where Shelden blocked one of the BC players 2 years ago at their place) this would set off a firestorm of articles and ESPN "talking heads" wondering if there was a conspiracy theory with Duke.

The same can be said of the UNC-Clemson game last night where Hansbrough shot nearly 3x as many FTs as the entire Clemson team. Hansbrough is a player that draws contact and plays a physical game but someone that just looked at the box score of a Duke game with a similar stat line would break out the same tired argument.

Now Georgetown Really Does Get All The Calls

This is the SECOND TIME this year Georgetown has stolen a game via referees... see Ewing Jr. Goaltend

The Ewing call was fairly arbitrary when compared to the one tonight. It's tough to call a goaltend on that play when it's a bang/bang call. However tonight's was ridiculous (as Jay, Bill and Sean calling the game agreed) that Reynold's was fouled harder than the foul on Wallace. To top it all off, Georgetown was just letting the clock run down as there is no way Wallace was going to take a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Schleimer24 View Post
    However tonight's was ridiculous (as Jay, Bill and Sean calling the game agreed) that Reynold's was fouled harder than the foul on Wallace. To top it all off, Georgetown was just letting the clock run down as there is no way Wallace was going to take a shot.
    I think it was absolutely the right call. The ball-handler was bumped out of bounds which gave a clear advantage to the defensive player. If it's a foul in the first half, then the same play is a foul at the end of the game.

I think that Hank Nichols, the NCAA's supervisor of basketball officials, would agree with me. In a recent article by John Feinstein in the Washington Post, Nichols speaks of a similar situation in which no call was made, but should have been:

"You see some people will say, 'Why call a foul 30 feet from the basket?' " he said. "But the kid with the ball [Campbell] got bounced backwards and had to go backwards and reset the entire play. That's an advantage for the defense. You call that foul. When Syracuse played Georgetown a few weeks ago, Syracuse was holding for the last shot, and the same thing happened and my guys no-called it. They should have called it."

Quote Originally Posted by Schleimer24 View Post
    The Ewing call was fairly arbitrary when compared to the one tonight. It's tough to call a goaltend on that play when it's a bang/bang call. However tonight's was ridiculous (as Jay, Bill and Sean calling the game agreed) that Reynold's was fouled harder than the foul on Wallace. To top it all off, Georgetown was just letting the clock run down as there is no way Wallace was going to take a shot.
    Agreed, tonight's call was worse given the timing, but on the Ewing play he blatantly traveled first before the shot and subsequent goaltending call. One thing about the call in G'town game tonight, although the announcers said he stayed in bounds I thought he did step on the sideline which would have given the ball back to 'nova.

I was there, and it was every bit as much a foul as the ones called against the Hoyas in the preceding minutes.

The game as whole had lousy officiating start to finish, with FORTY EIGHT fouls called. It was deplorable, but no more for the end of game call than all the others.

That said... what did people think of the end of regulation in the Indiana-Illilois game, where DJ White was trying to throw up a 3/4 court shot and was just grabbed across his arms. No foul called and the game goes to overtime. That was just too much of a whistle swallow in my opinion. No need to bail out a stupid play by the defensive guy, even if it was a 1 in 100 chance of making the shot. Yeah, I know Indiana won anyways, but I would love the opinion of those who saw the play.

Just got back from the game. I was sitting center court a few rows back, so had a great view. I was amazed they made that call... In fact, all the Georgetown fans around me were equally amazed, and were chuckling about home cooking and being bailed out. I really hated to win that way.

I said it before several months ago, before Georgetown ever lost, but this is just not a very good basketball team, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    I think it was absolutely the right call. The ball-handler was bumped out of bounds which gave a clear advantage to the defensive player. If it's a foul in the first half, then the same play is a foul at the end of the game.

I think that Hank Nichols, the NCAA's supervisor of basketball officials, would agree with me. In a recent article by John Feinstein in the Washington Post, Nichols speaks of a similar situation in which no call was made, but should have been:
    i don't agree with you -- and that includes nichols. that was one of the worst calls i ever have seen to end a game. the dribbler put his head down and dribbled slightly into the defender. it was more an offensive foul than than a foul on the defender and simply a disgraceful way to end a game. i don't understand why the other 2 refs didn't step in and overrule the call. even better, go to the monitor and look at it. i don't know what the rule is but they could make up a reason (like seeing if there was any time on the clock) and go to the monitor. one of the nfl games had this happen this year against baltimore where the refs went to the monitor even though technically they weren't supposed to (it was a fg that bounced off the crossbar that then went in). they then realized that it was in fact a fg and made the right call. the goal is to get the right call. yes, gtown may have won in ot, but that was a horrendous way to end it. all 3 of the refs should be suspended because games should not ende like that.
    Last edited by MulletMan; 02-12-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: personal insult

"You see some people will say, 'Why call a foul 30 feet from the basket?' " he said. "But the kid with the ball [Campbell] got bounced backwards and had to go backwards and reset the entire play. That's an advantage for the defense. You call that foul. When Syracuse played Georgetown a few weeks ago, Syracuse was holding for the last shot, and the same thing happened and my guys no-called it. They should have called it."
    Pratt '04

Jay Bilas emphatically disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i don't think anyone who has any clue about basketball would agree with you -- and that includes nichols. that was one of the worst calls i ever have seen to end a game. the dribbler put his head down and dribbled slightly into the defender. it was more an offensive foul than than a foul on the defender and simply a disgraceful way to end a game. i don't understand why the other 2 refs didn't step in and overrule the call. even better, go to the monitor and look at it. i don't know what the rule is but they could make up a reason (like seeing if there was any time on the clock) and go to the monitor. one of the nfl games had this happen this year against baltimore where the refs went to the monitor even though technically they weren't supposed to (it was a fg that bounced off the crossbar that then went in). they then realized that it was in fact a fg and made the right call. the goal is to get the right call. yes, gtown may have won in ot, but that was a horrendous way to end it. all 3 of the refs should be suspended because games should not ende like that.
    Hey dukie8, what did you think of the end of reg. in the Indiana-Illinois game... or did you see it? I thought it sould have been called... but I can understand either view.

i don't think anyone who has any clue about basketball would agree with you -- and that includes nichols. that was one of the worst calls i ever have seen to end a game. the dribbler put his head down and dribbled slightly into the defender. it was more an offensive foul than than a foul on the defender and simply a disgraceful way to end a game. i don't understand why the other 2 refs didn't step in and overrule the call. even better, go to the monitor and look at it. i don't know what the rule is but they could make up a reason (like seeing if there was any time on the clock) and go to the monitor. one of the nfl games had this happen this year against baltimore where the refs went to the monitor even though technically they weren't supposed to (it was a fg that bounced off the crossbar that then went in). they then realized that it was in fact a fg and made the right call. the goal is to get the right call. yes, gtown may have won in ot, but that was a horrendous way to end it. all 3 of the refs should be suspended because games should not ende like that.
    I appreciate you implying that I don't have "any clue about basketball."

You completely ignore the fact that the ball-handler was bumped out of bounds. If he doesn't call a foul, then it's a turnover. I don't agree with ignoring the rules just because it's the end of the game. The ball handler stepped out, so it's either a turnover or he was bumped out (and therefore it was a foul).

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    I appreciate you implying that I don't have "any clue about basketball."

You completely ignore the fact that the ball-handler was bumped out of bounds. If he doesn't call a foul, then it's a turnover. I don't agree with ignoring the rules just because it's the end of the game. The ball handler stepped out, so it's either a turnover or he was bumped out (and therefore it was a foul).
    what do you expect when you make outlandish claims like the nichols would agree with you? it's not an either or situation -- no foul or a turnover. how about end of regulation with no call? why is it a foul if the ballhandler puts his head down, dribbles into a defender, bounces off the defender after invading his space and then steps out of bounds? that's a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by bhd28 View Post
    Hey dukie8, what did you think of the end of reg. in the Indiana-Illinois game... or did you see it? I thought it sould have been called... but I can understand either view.
    i didn't see it. if the guy got hammered, then it should be a foul. the gtown player didn't get hammered and actually initiated the contact himself. big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Pratt '04

Jay Bilas emphatically disagrees with you.
    Yeah, I heard Jay saying that the refs should have swallowed their whistles on the play tonight, but he was singing the opposite tune during the broadcast of the Illinois - Indiana game last week (the Indiana player was clearly swiped across the arms during his last second, 3/4 court heave and no call was made). During that game Bilas wondered aloud "how is that not a foul?"

Seems to me that he's contradicting himself by wanting game situation to be factored in by the officials in one case, but not in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I said it before several months ago, before Georgetown ever lost, but this is just not a very good basketball team, folks.
    you are correct. they would be a nice 2 in our bracket. it's a little late still not to have not beaten a ranked team.

you are correct. they would be a nice 2 in our bracket. it's a little late still not to have not beaten a ranked team.
    Point taken in general, but Notre Dame and Connecticut are both ranked.

I'm a Hoya (as well as Duke) fan and feel they are a legit top-20 team, but not top-10. I'll be a bit surprised if they are as high as a 2 seed when it's bracket time.