Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emily Waner??

Question Emily Waner??

Does anyone have inside knowledge (or even substantiated rumors) about Emily W. "taking a leave of absence" from the WBB team?

Emily Waner is a wonderful person and student-athlete, and an exceptional representative of the University.

That has been the case, and will remain the case even if she opts not to remain a member of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Emily Waner is a wonderful person and student-athlete, and an exceptional representative of the University.

That has been the case, and will remain the case even if she opts not to remain a member of the team.
    I agree 100%. She's an outstanding example of an individual that any school would be lucky to have in any capacity.

Note: Her medical future looks promising and I wish her all the best in pursuing that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    By whom?
    That's what I'm curious about as well. I've seen vague allegations of unhappiness, but nothing more. I understand that we'll probably never get any official explanation, but can anyone illuminate whether it's Coach P, someone else, everyone...? It does seem that it's quite serious, as I can't imagine a player up and leaving the team in her senior year, especially one who has a sister on the team. I love this team, and it's worrisome that there seems to be this turmoil behind the scenes.

My best wishes to Emily and all the players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Does anyone have inside knowledge (or even substantiated rumors) about Emily W. "taking a leave of absence" from the WBB team?
    Are the MCATs approaching? That could play into it.

You should check out the women's basketball forum at the Devil's Den. People with connections are not going to reveal their sources publicly. You either trust the messengers based on their past performances or you do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    By whom?

I completely agree with your comment Mike!!!

I've had the absolute pleasure of being able to talk with Emily from time to time, although I can't say I've gotten to know her. I have always found her charming, happy and a pure Joy to be around.

We will miss you!

Well, I have to chime in and say that I too have like what Emily has done for Duke. She was oh-so charming when Coach P took the reigns. She was at the forefront, as was her sister during the media events at that time. Count me in as a true Waner fan.

Have some of the posts from this thread been removed? Reading it sequentially doesn't make since. What did turtleboy say?

Yes, they have...

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Have some of the posts from this thread been removed? Reading it sequentially doesn't make since. What did turtleboy say?
    But I'm not sure why!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    But I'm not sure why!
    Moderators, a little help here! It is hard to fully support what is hidden from you. If someone posted something personal that doesn't belong in the public sector, then I agree with removing the posts. I think that the message boards shouldn't be used to air someone else's laundry but a note of explanation would be appreciated.

By the way, best of luck to Emily. I hope that everything works out for the best for her and her family and friends (or whoever else is involved).

But I'm not sure why!
    Censorship seems to be at a high the past day or two...

The fact that the people who consistently have inside information have not explicitly defended Coach P on this thread says all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The fact that the people who consistently have inside information have not explicitly defended Coach P on this thread says all you need to know.
    I don't suppose that you have any desire to share any of your inside information? I understand that you might not feel at liberty to elaborate but I have been trying to follow the womens team with little success. Some people have made statements about everything being ok with the program but don't give any real examples of positive signs. Others are ripping the program based on what seems to be pure speculation and uneducated opinions.

I no longer live in Durham and the women's game doesn't get near the coverage as the men so trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is simply a normal adjustment period or cause for real concern is impossible. To be honest, I am getting a very bad feeling about Coach P am starting to feel like if she sticks around all of the good that Coach G built is going to crumble. I'm not go to lie, I'm truly frustrated!

Amen....Emily is one of the classiest student-athletes ever to wear a Duke uniform. My very selfish wish is for her return to help lead this team to the heights they can reach, but my real wish is that she follow her heart and gut. I know her family and friends are very proud of her and support her completely in whatever path she follows.

Here's a terrific read that will give you some insight on who Emily is. She is a true role model. Duke is truly fortunate.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1136544

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    ..And that makes me very, very, scared for this team.
    I am a season ticket holder who has gone to just about every game this year as well as in years past. I am a huge DWB supporter. And something is not right with this team.

I know, P is not G and never will be. But G's teams always looked like they wanted to be there, unlike most of P's games. P is winning against lesser teams on the leftovers of G's recruited talent, and P cannot coach her talent regardless of the opponent (this is usually only manifested when a good team is played). In 3-4 years when all of G's recruits are gone, i fear that DWB will have sunk into the mediocrity that G worked so hard to pull us out of.

I have no inside information. But i am very, very scared

DWB was so close to becoming the perennial national power that the men are. Hell, G had them there the last few years she was here. But G is gone and DWB is currently in freefall mode. The quitting of a senior who transfered to be with her sister is extremely disturbing. The lack of improvement (and a lot of worsening) among the players saddens me. Above all else, the inability of fans to show up at a "sell out" game against Tennessee (and UNC) says it all; fans have given up on P. There were close to 1000 empty seats at both games. The writing is on the wall, and I fear it is too late.

TDD women's hoops had a meltdown after the hiring of P. I thought they were wrong to be so quick to judge. And maybe I'm being too quick to judge as well. But there are serious problems, and denying that is useless at this point.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    But I'm not sure why!
    Moderators, a little help here! It is hard to fully support what is hidden from you. If someone posted something personal that doesn't belong in the public sector, then I agree with removing the posts. I think that the message boards shouldn't be used to air someone else's laundry but a note of explanation would be appreciated.

By the way, best of luck to Emily. I hope that everything works out for the best for her and her family and friends (or whoever else is involved).
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Censorship seems to be at a high the past day or two...
    Rumor mongering is not allowed. See the posting standards. The deleted posts included unsubstantiated rumors about Emily's departure that can serve no purpose.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Rumor mongering is not allowed. See the posting standards. The deleted posts included unsubstantiated rumors about Emily's departure that can serve no purpose.
    Thank you for the clarification. I'm fine with these types of decisions, it just would be nice when posts are removed, a short note of explanation could be left to avoid confusion.

Thanks again for the explanation.

FWIW, I have had some e-mail discourses with people who have more insider access than most of us can imagine, and they are not forcasting doom and gloom for DWB. So take a deep breath and relax.

I don't think that there is anyway that a change from one coach to another can be seamless. Especially when you've played for one coach for 2-3 seasons. Its a significant change in a significant relationship, and thus, there will likely be some rocky times. The fact is that Coach P is not some random person off the street. She beat Tennessee in the Final Four people!!! Why don't we give her, and the girls, a little time... I mean heck, we lost the player of the year and one of the best defensive players in school history, perhaps this year is not living up to some of the (unrealistic?) expectations, but the girls are a top 15 team, and playing their butts off. Why not just go out and cheer them on as much as you can instead of speculating about disasters that may or may not occur?

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    Hell, G had them there the last few years she was here. But G is gone and DWB is currently in freefall mode.
    Oh, and by the way... you are concerned about how the women's players look when on the court? Perhaps you should go back and look at some of the game tapes when G was coaching and see what SHE looked like when games were tight and tough. Perhaps Coach P will be a bit more, ummmm, up to the challenge when the games are on the line.