Maryland's New Home Uniforms

Watching MD and NC State right now and just noticed MD's uniforms. Well, they are kind of hard to miss Are these new this year or did I sleep through last season and just miss then. They are YELLOW and UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious.

I don't remember seeing those uniforms before tonight. For some reason mustard and catsup keep running through my mind . Did anyone else notice the lack of the huge turtle on the mid-court floor? Does this mean we should now "fear the big M with the flag?"

Gold Uniform

I think they have worn them occasionally. Color comes from the MD flag. I don't have any idea why they were wearing them tonight.

The gold uniforms were worn by some of Lefty's teams if my memory is correct. They have played well in them so I suspect they will be worn in their remaining home games.

gw67

Just in case the Terps decide to break out those blinding gold unis in Cameron Wednesday night, I'm bringing my sunglasses for ocular protection. The Crazies might want to consider appropriately protective eyewear, too.

Stray - I'm pretty sure that it is a home uniform but what do I know. Dan Steinberg had a cute article in the Post this morning about the uniforms. He ends the article by quoting from 12-year old Max Godwin. " I think it's dumb," he said, "because it makes everyone look like cheese." I suspect that it doesn't matter to the powers that be because the Terps have played well at home since they donned these uniforms. Personally, I dislike all the college uniforms (long baggy pants). Give me the unis of the Laettner era, whatever the color.

gw67

Mustard Yellow - Thanks for the Replies

I think mustard yellow describes the color better than gold They might have worn that color some in the past, but I bet they didn't have that weird black braiding on the back shoulder. Whatever else they are, they are ugly! GW67, I agree with your son. I live in northern VA, just outside of DC and read the Post, but didn't today as I have been sick. I will look up the article.

The gold uniforms debuted under Lefty at the 1981 ACC Tournament finals at the Cap Centre when Maryland (led by Albert King and Buck Williams) lost to UNC

Wrong, I do believe Maryland was wearing the yellow unis when Maryland beat us in the first round of the tournament in '81. It was Gene Banks last ACC game.

Washington Post Article

In case anyone is interested, here is the story behind the gold. Turns out MD has FOUR school colors. I have no idea what the others are except for the red I am used to. I can make a few guesses though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020902917.html

You might have to register to read it, but registration is free.

Red black gold and white...the colors of the state flag

thread hijack

Hey Train,

Changing the subject(and maybe having you add to another thread), you seem to know a lot about FB so what do you think about Coach Cut's 1st recruiting class?

I stand corrected...it was broken out in the ACC quarters against Duke

The jerseys were purchased by my dad's fraternity brother, a prominent dentist then living in Shaker Heights, OH

After Maryland beat Duke, they stunned Ralph Sampson and UVA in the semis before losing by a point to UNC in the final...the final occurred on the night of my Bar Mitzvah party, so I had to miss the game.(some things you just never forget)

As for Cutcliffe...given the limited amount of time, I believe he fared well. This year will give me a better sense of where we are headed from a recruiting perspective.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Red black gold and white...the colors of the state flag

I've always liked Maryland's unis, but these are ridiculous.

Not a fan of the New Orleans Hornets' yellow threads, either. Some colors you just gotta stay away from...

...like the Wizards away uniforms. Sheeeesh, are they ugly. Kind of a takeoff on marching band dance teams.