Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Singler

I just watched the game again and focused on Singler a bit more. He is improving at an exponential rate! His inside play, his hustle (once he flew over to challenge a BC player though there was little chance of making it), outside 3 shooting, not to mention his silky smooth movements toward the basket, controlled attitude (calm even in the face of getting banged around), etc are a joy to watch. Heck, toward the end of the game he even showed us his abilities at "guard." He is "experienced" way beyond his age. Plus, he seems to be a good guy. Without Singler and Nelson (of course), today would have been a different story I think. Gutty players both.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the guys, but with each game Singler is turning into a superstar!

Now if only we could improve the free throws a bit. But no matter, we have managed to do without them so many times this year!

WHEW times a bajillion.

That was the game that everyone expected against UNC.

Bad FT shooting
    Bad 3's (1st half anyway)
    Just bad...

But luckily, it came against BC not UNC or any other good/great team. IF this would've happened against the likes of Maryland or Clemson, I don't think we get out so lucky.

Great game by Markie and Singler, Henderson, your legs are made of magic. He's a freak.

was anyone else somewhat disappointed when Scheyer had that steal and fast break - and failed to dunk the ball?

It would have made for a great Scheyer face highlight. Got the team going even more, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post

K's reaction was great - he apparently could see Singler walking over and knew what was going to happen, after which he did a 180 degree turn away in exasperation
    I think he turned away in disbelief and disgust because the ref called a T on Singler but did not even call an intentional foul or a T on the BC player.

That Singler Technical

I can't blame Singler for getting in his face. I blame the ref for NOT being in his face. For there to be that hard and obvious a foul and the ref NOT to say something to the BC player is just indicative of how little control the refs are asserting these days. When there's a hard foul like that, the refs have to step in and take the guy aside, if for no other reason than to keep the other team (Duke) from retaliating.

No wonder everyone in the ACC hates BC. What a bunch of thugs. Was there a single play in the game when a Duke player who went into the paint did NOT get smacked?

Well, in any case, BC shot lights out in the first half, Duke shot like their eyes were closed from the field and like they were shooting opposite-handed from the free-throw line and still won going away.

Good job, guys. Keep rolling.

you guys need to lighten up. there was 1 foul when a duke guy hit the floor hard and everyone is up in arms about how dirty bc is. were there any other even quasi rough plays the rest of the game? this game was nothing like va tech, fsu or nc st. it's a contact sport. people make contact and bodies fly. that's part of the game.

back to the game, i think that it was expected that the team would come out less than 100% after the unc game and with maryland lurking next week. bc really is bad but singler and company came up big in the 2nd half so the final outcome really wasn't in doubt. they won by 10 and it was the closest home game of the year. there are worse things -- like our ft shooting! this team seems like it must have the record for most double misses from the foul line. it already cost us 1 game -- pitt -- and is going to become a bigger issue in the ncaat when the teams are better and the games are closer. i'm not sure what you can do at this point in the season because i assume that they work on it every day.

Singler and Lance are starting to play really well together on the offensive end. When Singler has it high, they are finding (I'm sure they've practiced them several ways to connect. One has the both starting high on opposite sides of the line, and Lance finding with Singler's approval a cutting/passing lane and the ball getting there; and the other is Lance's estalbishing a postion and Singler even repositioning himself to get it there.

In any case, the passes come off movement by Singler and even with collapsing littles shooting passing lanes to intercept the ball is getting through.

Singler sees the angles, aka, sometimes making the ball stay low all the way. or requiring a short-hop or other special catch by Lance, others by having the ball travel right next to a defender where he can't reach, anyway, its as if Singler in a split second puts himself of all the defenders around, factors in their tendencies (how they see and execute things) and adjusts how he is going to deliver to manipulate for or avoid the tendancies and voila. As a matter of fact, in a split second, bird-like, I think that is exactly what he is doing.

That Lance can read the play, connect up with Singler's eyes or whatever to "run good routes" shows a basketball IQ/bigman talent that often goes noticed--that of a great receiver of the ball. He is showing confidence in poised finishes off of great catches. Bouncing, pausing, sometimes attacking without breaking stride, that I dig, I mean really. A great inside game of the sort I do not believe I have seen at Duke, at least in quite some while.

Several ACC teams have such games going, Md. for one with Gist high and O low. Singler's passing ability is tough to match.

I really think that his finding more and more of his leathalness as an interior passer is giving him great confidence on offense and improving his shot. When you can assert dominion over not one, but several defenders off of making great catches and then helping your teammate make a great catch and finish, well, when you shoot, you're playing with found money.

Singler might well be the kind of talent that would lead others to be terrific reservers and finishers. Who really knows. What we do know is that he and Lance are becoming a potent tandum, and other parts of each's game is showing improvement as a consequence.

Another second half of refinements leads to steady control that inexorably wears away the resistence.

Way to go Cap. Lead the guys out in the second half and again began by showing everybody what's what.

Nice time to be a Duke fan; extraordinary, in my view.

Singler = hockey player

I know it's been said before, but Kyle reminds me so much of a hockey player, not just with all the cuts and stuff he's received this year, but in standing up for his team as well. When he went up to Spears today, it seemed just like something you'd see in a hockey game when a thug for the other team takes down the other team's star player - he went right up to him to let him know that will not be accepted. In one way, I've got to give Spears a little credit for the restraint he showed - in the heat of battle a guy jumps in your face, I'm not sure I could have stopped myself from pushing, talking back, or worse. Still, I don't want Kyle to do anything stupid, but I love the fact that he will stand up for his team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    you guys need to lighten up. there was 1 foul when a duke guy hit the floor hard and everyone is up in arms about how dirty bc is. were there any other even quasi rough plays the rest of the game? this game was nothing like va tech, fsu or nc st. it's a contact sport. people make contact and bodies fly. that's part of the game.
    Agreed. I'm getting tired of the "we got fouled hard, therefore someone should be ejected/suspended" rant. Other than the UNC game, I've heard it for our last 5 games.

I always try to reverse the positions. If Kyle had gotten tangled up with the BC player and he ended up on the ground, would I be OK if Kyle was ejected/suspended?

In this case, the answer is pretty clearly no.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Agreed. I'm getting tired of the "we got fouled hard, therefore someone should be ejected/suspended" rant. Other than the UNC game, I've heard it for our last 5 games.

I always try to reverse the positions. If Kyle had gotten tangled up with the BC player and he ended up on the ground, would I be OK if Kyle was ejected/suspended?

In this case, the answer is pretty clearly no.
    Agreed. There was nothing in yesterday's game that was worthy of a technical from BC, much less an ejection. The sensitive skin of some on these boards is amazing.

Interesting insight, Greybeard

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Singler and Lance are starting to play really well together on the offensive end. When Singler has it high, they are finding (I'm sure they've practiced them several ways to connect. One has the both starting high on opposite sides of the line, and Lance finding with Singler's approval a cutting/passing lane and the ball getting there; and the other is Lance's estalbishing a postion and Singler even repositioning himself to get it there.

In any case, the passes come off movement by Singler and even with collapsing littles shooting passing lanes to intercept the ball is getting through.

Singler sees the angles, aka, sometimes making the ball stay low all the way. or requiring a short-hop or other special catch by Lance, others by having the ball travel right next to a defender where he can't reach, anyway, its as if Singler in a split second puts himself of all the defenders around, factors in their tendencies (how they see and execute things) and adjusts how he is going to deliver to manipulate for or avoid the tendancies and voila. As a matter of fact, in a split second, bird-like, I think that is exactly what he is doing.

That Lance can read the play, connect up with Singler's eyes or whatever to "run good routes" shows a basketball IQ/bigman talent that often goes noticed--that of a great receiver of the ball. He is showing confidence in poised finishes off of great catches. Bouncing, pausing, sometimes attacking without breaking stride, that I dig, I mean really. A great inside game of the sort I do not believe I have seen at Duke, at least in quite some while.

Several ACC teams have such games going, Md. for one with Gist high and O low. Singler's passing ability is tough to match.

I really think that his finding more and more of his leathalness as an interior passer is giving him great confidence on offense and improving his shot. When you can assert dominion over not one, but several defenders off of making great catches and then helping your teammate make a great catch and finish, well, when you shoot, you're playing with found money.

Singler might well be the kind of talent that would lead others to be terrific reservers and finishers. Who really knows. What we do know is that he and Lance are becoming a potent tandum, and other parts of each's game is showing improvement as a consequence.

Another second half of refinements leads to steady control that inexorably wears away the resistence.

Way to go Cap. Lead the guys out in the second half and again began by showing everybody what's what.

Nice time to be a Duke fan; extraordinary, in my view.
    I was so busy focusing on how Thomas finished that I never focused on how he got the ball. Good to hear, because if he can become a reasonable scoring threat off of feeds from Singler, it makes Duke much tougher to defend. I also really like how Lance crashed the offensive boards. It seems like he is realizing he can score at this level, and is looking for his shot. That really has the potential to make Duke a much better team.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. There was nothing in yesterday's game that was worthy of a technical from BC, much less an ejection. The sensitive skin of some on these boards is amazing.
    But I do think that Spears deserved more than a routine foul. At the least it should have been an intentional foul.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    But I do think that Spears deserved more than a routine foul. At the least it should have been an intentional foul.
    I agree and, yes, if it had been one of our players, he would have deserved the same penalty.

Other than that one play, I did not find BC to be particularly thuggish yesterday. Nothing like VT or FSU as far as I could see.

I agree that Spears' takedown was the only play to which I took exception. I am not so sure that he deserved anything beyond a personal foul. However, the foul looked bad and I have no problem with Kyle jawing at him, so long as no contact is initiated. Basically, I would have liked to see a personal foul on Spears and nothing on Kyle or an intentional on Spears and a technical on Kyle. If they're trying to keep the game under control, they should be consistent about it.

Henderson take-down worthy of intentional or more

Disagree.

From my vantage point in CIS yesterday, it was a clear head-lock take-down of Henderson in front of the Duke bench, and such an observation has nothing to do with anyone's "sensitivity."

While I agree that players should not be getting into other player's faces with taunts or whatever (and T's are quite appropriate in many cases for doing that) I do have a MAJOR problem that the current trend seems to be to "just give a foul" when a malicious and/or intentional foul has just occurred. Nelson gets undercut with what could have been a season-ending injury, and in another game Henderson gets thrown to the floor with a wrestling take-down....and the zebras seem more intent with controlling "language"???

A couple of well-placed player ejections and game suspensions could do wonders for putting a cap on this increasing problem in the ACC.

As an aside, I would like to note (at least from what I observed on TV) there was none of this "trash play" occurring at the recent game in the Dean Dome. (For now we'll ignore any of the usual Carolina stuff.) It was a pleasure to see a hard-fought game that did not resemble a hockey match. (I guess I now lose favor for almost saying something positive about the heels?)

k

Like many fouls of this nature, my first impression was that it deserved an intentional foul but when you see the replay, it really didn't look nearly as bad. I would have been fine with simply a foul called but the T on Singler made it a bit hard to swallow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Disagree.

From my vantage point in CIS yesterday, it was a clear head-lock take-down of Henderson in front of the Duke bench, and such an observation has nothing to do with anyone's "sensitivity."

While I agree that players should not be getting into other player's faces with taunts or whatever (and T's are quite appropriate in many cases for doing that) I do have a MAJOR problem that the current trend seems to be to "just give a foul" when a malicious and/or intentional foul has just occurred. Nelson gets undercut with what could have been a season-ending injury, and in another game Henderson gets thrown to the floor with a wrestling take-down....and the zebras seem more intent with controlling "language"???

A couple of well-placed player ejections and game suspensions could do wonders for putting a cap on this increasing problem in the ACC.

As an aside, I would like to note (at least from what I observed on TV) there was none of this "trash play" occurring at the recent game in the Dean Dome. (For now we'll ignore any of the usual Carolina stuff.) It was a pleasure to see a hard-fought game that did not resemble a hockey match. (I guess I now lose favor for almost saying something positive about the heels?)

k
    I think you may have not had as good a vantage point as me if you were at the game. I watched on TV, which afforded me several replays. The takedown was a grab over the shoulder and across the chest, not a headlock take down. Henderson exaggerated it a bit to be sure to draw the foul. Definitely a foul, definitely a grab to preven Henderson from beating him to the spot, and definitely not an extremely dangerous play. To include it in the same conversation as the undercut on Nelson is silly.

Did you scream for Paulus to be ejected when he fouled Costner across the head? Because that was as intentional a foul as what Spears did, and it was a lot more dangerous. If you think Spears deserved more than he got, then Paulus deserves a lot more than he got. Honestly, the Spears foul just wasn't that big a deal.

To give you perspective, Coach K was imploring Singler not to react to the incident. He was exasperated with Singler for getting the technical. Coach K had a fantastic view of the incident. If he had felt that it was deserving of more than a foul, I'm pretty sure he would have been all over the refs. But he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Disagree.

k
    Try to find a replay of the incident. I think you may change your mind about the severity of the "take down". Coach K was 15 feet away looking directly at the play and he didn't start screaming and yelling, he smirked and almost laughed. he didn't get disgusted until Singler got his T.

I agree that there has been a lot of very physical and rough play this year that deserved technicals and possibly suspensions, but this wasn't one of them.

I beg to differ

I think you may have not had as good a vantage point as me if you were at the game. I watched on TV, which afforded me several replays. The takedown was a grab over the shoulder and across the chest, not a headlock take down. Henderson exaggerated it a bit to be sure to draw the foul. Definitely a foul, definitely a grab to preven Henderson from beating him to the spot, and definitely not an extremely dangerous play. To include it in the same conversation as the undercut on Nelson is silly.

Did you scream for Paulus to be ejected when he fouled Costner across the head? Because that was as intentional a foul as what Spears did, and it was a lot more dangerous. If you think Spears deserved more than he got, then Paulus deserves a lot more than he got. Honestly, the Spears foul just wasn't that big a deal.

To give you perspective, Coach K was imploring Singler not to react to the incident. He was exasperated with Singler for getting the technical. Coach K had a fantastic view of the incident. If he had felt that it was deserving of more than a foul, I'm pretty sure he would have been all over the refs. But he wasn't.
    I thought Paulus was trying to slap down on the ball, and missed. So he had some thought of making a legitimate defensive play. Spears didn't -- he just grabbed somebody, and he grabbed them hard. That's why I'd call one intentional and the other not.
    I'll admit I'm not impartial, but still . . .

I thought Paulus was trying to slap down on the ball, and missed. So he had some thought of making a legitimate defensive play. Spears didn't -- he just grabbed somebody, and he grabbed them hard. That's why I'd call one intentional and the other not.
    I'll admit I'm not impartial, but still . . .
    Paulus was, only in the loosest of senses, going for the ball. He was slapping down with the intent of preventing an easy layup for Costner. I'm sure Paulus HOPED he would get all ball, but his intent (and thus the force with which he swatted) was to prevent the bucket in whatever means necessary. If that meant a hard foul across the arms, so be it. The fact that Paulus hit Costner in the head (which is far from where the ball was) indicates that he wasn't being very discriminate in his effort. It is my personal belief that he was fully expecting to commit a hard foul there - if he got lucky and got all ball, so much the better. If not, well, mission still accomplished.

I agree it's not an identical situation. But trust me; fans of State (and UNC, etc) would view that as an egregious foul by Paulus. And I'd actually agree with them. It was much more physical in nature and intent than what Spears did. The only thing worse about what Spears did was that it wasn't at any point within the rules. But just because what Paulus did could be construed as an attempt at a legal play doesn't change the fact that he had a disregard for the well-being of the opposing player as a result of his actions (similar to Spears).

My main point isn't to equate the two. It's to state that what Spears did wasn't that bad. He committed a foul in preventing Henderson from getting to the spot. Henderson sold the foul by falling down. It wasn't thuggish - it was just bad (and lazy) basketball. There's a difference between thuggish play and poor play. Washington's kick to the face of Melchionni was thuggish. If Washington intentionally undercut Nelson, that's thuggish. But what Spears did wasn't thuggish - it was lazy. That's the difference.