Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    BC shot 55% from the field, but we still won by 10. A gutsy performance down the stretch. Kyle Singler is turning into a monster on the glass. His rebounding in this game and the Carolina game was really impressive. With his smooth 3-point stroke, he is a real inside-outside threat!
    Completely agree. I thought Singler would be outstanding as a freshman, but he is just awesome to watch. I don't think Duke has had a more talented all-around basketball player since Battier. And I would rarely compare anyone to Battier, he's just the man.

I was impressed that K used him as a point forward at the end of the game. I don't remember seeing that before.

If I had to point to one thing that made a difference today, I would point to Kyle's rebounding. I can point to other things, too, but that's the one that begins my list.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    In his post-game interview, Coach K said that they weren't sure until right before game time if Gerald was going to play because of his wrist
    I'm sure you saw this, Gerald had a brace on his wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I was impressed that K used him as a point forward at the end of the game. I don't remember seeing that before.

If I had to point to one thing that made a difference today, I would point to Kyle's rebounding. I can point to other things, too, but that's the one that begins my list.
    Right. I too was surprised to see Singler sort of running the point at the end of the game.

Singler's T

I think it was a good call on Singler, but Spears should have been called for an intentional. If you're a ref in that situation, you can't have players mouthing off at other players after a hard foul, in order to keep the game under control, especially with us up in the closing minutes like that. I think it alleviated a probably very tense on-court situation.

Did you guys see K's reaction after the foul? A little grin then a floor-stomp for Singler. It's K's job to yell there, not Kyle's. I realize that it's great for the team to stick up for one another, and they did, but not when it draws a T in the closing minutes.

Stats

The stat of the game was, for me, the offensive rebounds. According to espn's box score, we had 16 and BC had 8. Against a much thicker BC frontcourt, our guys did well down low on second-chance shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I'm sure you saw this, Gerald had a brace on his wrist.
    Yeah, I saw that. I just didn't realize how serious the injury was until Coach K said he was a game-time decision.

I thought his finishing on some drives and put-backs was below his normal level today, but if his wrist is hurt that badly I can't blame him at all. Let's hope a few days off helps it heal before MD on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    Why did Singler get T'ed up after the hard foul on Henderson? There was no contact so I am assuming it must have been language.
    Or, more importantly, why wasn't there an ejection after the "hard foul" on Henderson? If the refs wanted to send a message about the increasing number of cheap shots, that would've been a fine time to do it. It looked pretty darn intentional to me - unlike the infamous blocked shot that resulted in an ejection and a one-game suspension for Henderson.

Smile Super K All Day All the Way!!

With regard to Kyle Singer, while the superlatives might be redundant they cannot be superflous. Here's one more iteration: tree-men-dous! In a year of outstanding players collaborating and coming together to make for a great team and a special season, Kyle is on his way to becoming Duke's MVP. And let the "experts" blather all they want about Beasley and Love; I would trade Kyle, in terms he means and does for his team, for the both of them.

Make that "wouldn't."

Is there a video up anywhere that has the play resulting in a T in it? ESPN doesn't have any highlights, are there any up somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    I think it was a good call on Singler, but Spears should have been called for an intentional. If you're a ref in that situation, you can't have players mouthing off at other players after a hard foul, in order to keep the game under control, especially with us up in the closing minutes like that. I think it alleviated a probably very tense on-court situation.

Did you guys see K's reaction after the foul? A little grin then a floor-stomp for Singler. It's K's job to yell there, not Kyle's. I realize that it's great for the team to stick up for one another, and they did, but not when it draws a T in the closing minutes.
    Refs were right to call the T. Singler deserved the T. But I am not blaming him. A couple times now we've seen Singler getting into opposing players' faces for his teammates, or simply refusing to back down when challenged. He's a rock. Meanwhile, he hasn't really done anything more stupid than glaring or cursing. Today's game was already decided at that moment. I think Singler knows the limit.

Oh, I agree completely with that. I'm not necessarily BLAMING him for it at all, though a lot of people would blame him or the ref. I'm just saying it was a good call. He HAD to have said something...pretty rough, I think, for the T to fly.

And you're right, Singler is a friggin' rock. He's no longer a Frosh to me.

I was annoyed that KS got a T but Spears just got a run-of-the-mill contact foul. As an example of Packer's fairness today, he was right to compare it to Gerald's last year. If the refs have the right to go to the monitor and review in that circumstance, as Packer suggested, they were wrong not to.

HA, well you're right about that. My friend said that G needs to carry around a packet of ketchup to get that call. The only reason that he was ejected last year was all the blood from HansTravel's nose. Same thing happens if G goes down and gets a nasty cut or something. I don't think that Spears meant to hurt him, he just caught him funny and G went down hard.

Right. I am OK with the T call, but as you said, or as everybody has pointed out, the BC player should have gotten an intentional foul. Even the announcers were surprised by the decision.

Lightbulb The reason why

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    BC shot 55% from the field, but we still won by 10. A gutsy performance down the stretch. Kyle Singler is turning into a monster on the glass. His rebounding in this game and the Carolina game was really impressive. With his smooth 3-point stroke, he is a real inside-outside threat!
    We forced 21 turnovers and committed just 6. That's 15 extra possessions to score, in a game that featured about 75 possessions. We had 20% more of game to score than they did. Its the formula for our success this year.

I disgaree

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    The stat of the game was, for me, the offensive rebounds. According to espn's box score, we had 16 and BC had 8. Against a much thicker BC frontcourt, our guys did well down low on second-chance shots.
    We had 16 offensive rebounds of our 39 missed FGs and approx. 6 reboundable missed FTs. Thats 35.5%.

BC had 8 ORebs of their 26 missed FGs and approx. 2 reboundable missed FTs. That's 28.6%. An advantage, but not huge.

However, TOs were a gi-normous disparity. See my above post. We had 20% more of the game to score than they did. It takes some major advantage in field goal shooting and rebounding to counter than deficit.

Of note, BC had an eFG of an astounding 61.2%, Duke's opponent's highest this year by far. Duke shot eFG of 50%, well below the season average 55.8% and worst since Pitt/Cornell/Temple. And Duke still won by 10.

Its all about turnovers, boys.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    Right. I too was surprised to see Singler sort of running the point at the end of the game.
    That's the great thing about this team and probably why they are so good at running the stall this year. Pretty much everyone in the rotation (except Lance, Zoubs and King) can handle the ball fairly well, so K simply picks who has the best match up and gives him the ball. So far this year we have seen Paulus, Scheyer, Hederson, Smith and Nelson run the spread. With Oats guarding Singler, it was his turn. My guess is that McClure won't ever have the most favorable match up but you never know!

Just got a chance to look at the box score. If you compare it to the UNC game, I'm not sure it was the same team competing. Only 2 players scored in double digits and we only shot 8-23 from behind the arc. Man I bet UNC had played the Duke team that played today instead of the one they played on Wednesday.

Of course, its easy to have a bit of a let down after such a big game.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice that Scheyer had 11 points.