Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Great news! Made my rush hour! (I would say it made my day but we play at nine so...)

A ticket to Cameron for a Duke-UNC game is a big draw for Duke recruiting - hopefully we can really wow him in other aspects.

You guys have to keep in mind that McDonald and other shave to pay for unofficial visits. It's not a big red flag that he cancelled. Recruiting types were pounding his parents phone and it got to them.

does this mean that we no longer will have an endless run of "k doesn't or can't recruit big men" threads?

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    does this mean that we no longer will have an endless run of "k doesn't or can't recruit big men" threads?
    I'm sure that's just wishful thinking. Over under on how many games Mason gets to play before people talk about how we need to bulk him up and use him as a strong body under the basket?

Well, he does have to get bigger than he is now. If nothing else, he'll be playing defense in the post.

I doubt it because Plumlee doesn't seem to be the big burly low post banger type. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm very excited that he chose Duke but the group that seem to think that K can't recruit big men seem to think that you can't win a championship with out a Shelden/Boozer/Brand type of player. So those threads won't truly stop unless we sign Echenique, Painter, Riley or Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    TDD is a part of scout who reported what information they had directly from Mason himself...it is no coincidence that the person who runs TDD was chosen by the network to be their affiliate. His info is as good as it gets and he deals strictly in facts as opposed to rumors.
    As good as it gets? With all due respect, my members say different. TDD leans on Dave Telep while other sites lean on nobody. Dave is the recruiting coordinator at Scout and has numerous sources, but he mainly works it in person developing relationships along the way. Take away him and you take away the Plumlee information and so much more, period. I respect Dave a lot. I see him working out there when I am working. He went to see the Plumlee kids just as I did. He talked to the Plumlees just as I did. He talked to his coach, just as I did. IOW, he worked it! The guy who runs or manages TDD cannot say that about himself. The TDD site owner is a pretty good guy, but there has to be a reason why my site continues to grow and my members all talk of what they had been missing having been a member of said site. Don't get me wrong - a recruiting data base is a nice feature and being able to lean on an entire network has it's perks. But if you are talking basketball coverage, it is simply not true that the information is as good as it gets and I challenge anybody to take that sample test. I get all my information direct, generally first and never ever borrowed after the fact So, TDD may be good thanks to Telep and others who are leaned upon, but you can certainly argue against it being called good as it gets.

Back to Mason Plumlee. In a conversation I just had with him, he stated that he would step back from interviews and would concentrate on his schoolwork from here on out. His family is very happy to be a part of the Duke family, Mason will return home in March and play for Indiana Elite during the summer.

"I didn't like Duke very much growing up but when I met Coach K that all changed"

"In meeting with Coach K and talking to the staff it made it easier to make a quicker decision. At the end of the day it was my decison, but I don't think I would have commited so soon had my family not had the chance to meet with Coach K," Mason Plumlee to the BDN

We got Mason and that's what counts.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-27-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag and typos

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    You guys have to keep in mind that McDonald and other shave to pay for unofficial visits. It's not a big red flag that he cancelled. Recruiting types were pounding his parents phone and it got to them.
    muchas gracias watzone. That's not something I had considered, but then again, why can't it be one of his OFFICIAL visits? already made one? too soon?

Gonna hafta agree with the below in all aspects. I ain't complaining, but I think you'll still hear "K can't recruit TRUE big men" or something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I doubt it because Plumlee doesn't seem to be the big burly low post banger type. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm very excited that he chose Duke but the group that seem to think that K can't recruit big men seem to think that you can't win a championship with out a Shelden/Boozer/Brand type of player. So those threads won't truly stop unless we sign Echenique, Painter, Riley or Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    muchas gracias watzone. That's not something I had considered, but then again, why can't it be one of his OFFICIAL visits? already made one? too soon?

Gonna hafta agree with the below in all aspects. I ain't complaining, but I think you'll still hear "K can't recruit TRUE big men" or something like that..
    Juniors cannot take official visits. A prospect has to have qualified academically.

As long as Watzone says it's no big deal about Leslie canceling, I can accept that. Part of me is bummed though, because I know he was at the Memphis-UT game that must have made an impression on him. Maybe Watzone can ease my mind a bit. Maybe reiterate that it's not a big deal. Sorry to be a wet rag.

But on the bright side, way to go Mason!!! You chose right!!!

VERY glad to see that Mason committed. It sounds like he's going to be a special player. Even if he's not your traditional banger, he's still a 6-11 basketball player and a very good one at that. That's a plus anyway you look at it...

Juniors cannot take official visits. A prospect has to have qualified academically.
    spanks. I asked several questions of you today and I appreciate all the answers/info

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    As long as Watzone says it's no big deal about Leslie canceling, I can accept that. Part of me is bummed though, because I know he was at the Memphis-UT game that must have made an impression on him. Maybe Watzone can ease my mind a bit. Maybe reiterate that it's not a big deal. Sorry to be a wet rag.
    Its not a big deal.

Its not a big deal.
    OK...if you say so. Sorry to steal Mason's thunder. So, let me say again:

WAY TO GO MASON!!!

Looking forward to seeing you stick it to Carolina. They screwed you, right?!?! Those son's a' b___ches!!!! See what they do?!?! See what they do?!?!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-27-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

As good as it gets? With all due respect, my members say different. TDD leans on Dave Telep while other sites lean on nobody. Dave is the recruiting coordinator at Scout and has numerous sources, but he mainly works it in person developing relationships along the way. Take away him and you take away the Plumlee information and so much more, period. I respect Dave a lot. I see him working out there when I am working. He went to see the Plumlee kids just as I did. He talked to the Plumlees just as I did. He talked to his coach, just as I did. IOW, he worked it! The guy who runs or manages TDD cannot say that about himself. The TDD site owner is a pretty good guy, but there has to be a reason why my site continues to grow and my members all talk of what they had been missing having been a member of said site. Don't get me wrong - a recruiting data base is a nice feature and being able to lean on an entire network has it's perks. But if you are talking basketball coverage, it is simply not true that the information is as good as it gets and I challenge anybody to take that sample test. I get all my information direct, generally first and never ever borrowed after the fact So, TDD may be good thanks to Telep and others who are leaned upon, but you can certainly argue against it being called good as it gets.

We got Mason and that's what counts.

all I can say is wow...that post is chocked full of more bs than anything I have ever read.

you dont post here often huh
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilsBB View Post
    all I can say is wow...that post is chocked full of more bs than anything I have ever read.

I will stand by my statement. So, please elaboroate DukeDevilsBB. I realize you are a moderator there and you should be faitful. But tell me what is so far fetched. Do so by PM if you please.

Back to talking about Mason...

Let's all welcome Mason Plumlee to the Duke family! His parents must be so proud - one brother goes to Stanford, the other to Duke. Can you imagine the pressure on the youngest brother and the daughter? We should monitor the daughter situation - maybe Coach P can keep an eye on her, too. This could be our McCants family from Asheville (even though they are from Warsaw, Indiana)...

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

This thread has been a mess. One would hope that a celebration of a commitment wouldn't turn into infighting. It's disappointing.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This thread has been a mess. One would hope that a celebration of a commitment wouldn't turn into infighting. It's disappointing.
    My appologies for my part. Now, Mason Plumlee. Plumlee is a nice addition.