Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    BTW, add Echenique to the list of UNC visitors. That makes Boynton, Ech, McDonald and Williams on the list and don;t be surprised if Plumlee turns up for this one too.
    And you said they may all announce after the game ?

Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    Scout has this:

"In-State big forward Mason Plumlee (6'11, 215, PF) has received the Blue Devils' last offer in 2009..."

Is that correct: "....last offer."

Just curious - I know if someone doesn't sign that scholarship remains and we can offer to someone else but as I understand it from other posts we have/had 4 scholarships to offer and they have been offered to:

Boynton
    McDonald
    Echenique
    Plumlee

I was just thinking we may offer Painter as well and I like that kid. Nevertheless, this is a great class and hopefully after the MD and UNC games we may see some verbals...
    So I had some questions on this in another thread about a month ago and I believe it was Jim Sumner who filled me in. Basically, you are correct in that, minus unforseen/unpredictable transfers/early entries etc. we have 4 scholarship SPOTS available on the team. However, that does NOT mean we can only offer 4 scholarships. We can offer more than 4, probably a lot more, and then its just first come, first serve. Apparently Ol Roy likes to do this.

As Jim basically put it, thats just not Coach K's style. He and the staff very, very meticulously evaluate prospects and decide we exactly we want and we go after them. Its probably as much a "character" thing for Coach K as anything, I mean how do you walk in to a family's home, probably more than once, tell a kid you love him and want him on your team, and then a month later offer a scholarship to someone else and say "OK, well now only one of you can come".

I'm not an expert or program insider, so anyone please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    He did grow up a UNC fan, but they are out of the race with who they have signed. This is not the first time for a Duke or UNC fan to possibly in his case go to the other school. Mason will be visiting withone of his brothers and his high school coach. So, look for two tall guys crazies! They might be seen around campus as early as 4:00. I talked with his coach yesterday, but must save the positive comments for my members of Blue Devil Nation Premium. FWIW, he will attend the St. Johns game with his parents. Mason led his team in scoring with 14 in their final regular season game last evening. They routed Asheville and start local playoffs this weekend. His coach and Mason are looking foward to today's visit.
    Its a pleasure to be living in Watzonia. Thanks for all in the info, bra

Quote Originally Posted by Madrasdukie View Post
    And you said they may all announce after the game ?
    How about at halftime? Or would that take away from the joy of the 18 point lead?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I like when we score a couple athletes from the same family, Battiers, Waners, et al. Kyle's younger brother seems to play a loaded position for us, but seems like he will be recruited at the D1 level.

How about Mason's brother? In the most recent game, as a freshman, he had 6 blocks. Any word?

Hey Crazies, show Mason a great time tonight!!!!
    I could be wrong but I believe Mason has an older brother who is a senior named Miles. He has signed to play at Stanford and is rated the #17 best PF in the class of 2008 according to...

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=2653726

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Just want to keep Mason in the minds of the Crazies.

Sounds like his brother Marshall will be with him - he is the freshman playing on the same team - can anyone confirm?
    Mason's brother is going to be with them but it is the brother who already signed with Stanford and will be going there next year.

Sorry kramerbr, I posted the same time you did.

Looks as though we picked a pretty good game for Plumlee to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Looks as though we picked a pretty good game for Plumlee to visit.

Did the crazies acknowledge him? Thought I heard a Mason Plumlee chant near the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by norduck View Post
    Did the crazies acknowledge him? Thought I heard a Mason Plumlee chant near the end of the game.
    Did they chant it? I tried to pick one up but didn't hear it ?

They did. MA-SON PLUM-LEE.

Thumbs up followed by

Quote Originally Posted by theman5207 View Post
    They did. MA-SON PLUM-LEE.
    COME TO DUKE!

There were multiple chants for Plumlee, including some immediately after he took his seat during warmups. He waved at the crowd, which got an ovation. The undergrads then cheered "Mason Plumlee, sit with us!" and Mason smiled but did not oblige.

I interviewd both Plumlee and his high school coach after the game and can tell you that the visit went very well.

Can we get any more details on Plumlee's thoughts after the game or is this some kind of secret?

You'll have to pay watzone for the full info. He only drops hints here.

Sometimes I read the threads here on recruiting, but that's about as much as I follow it. It becomes difficult to wade through the people saying the person will be an All-American compared to those that say he'll transfer after one year of not playing.

To me, it seems like we always have a great chance of landing recruits because we do our best to make them feel welcome in Cameron (Crazies making cheers and stuff). However, I was wondering if this is something that's regularly done at most big universities with good student sections? Do other schools have people like Watzone who let them know when recruits will be making visits for games?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Sometimes I read the threads here on recruiting, but that's about as much as I follow it. It becomes difficult to wade through the people saying the person will be an All-American compared to those that say he'll transfer after one year of not playing.

To me, it seems like we always have a great chance of landing recruits because we do our best to make them feel welcome in Cameron (Crazies making cheers and stuff). However, I was wondering if this is something that's regularly done at most big universities with good student sections? Do other schools have people like Watzone who let them know when recruits will be making visits for games?
    As far as I know other schools chant and welcome recruits too. I recall when UCLA was recruiting both singler and love some very good looking girls made shirts that said Single and looking for some Love. Thought it was pretty creative.

Thumbs up Mason Plumlee

Mason Plumlee (and his parents) will once again visit Duke and be there for the St. John's game. SO COME ON CRAZIES!!! Show some love. Come up with some cool cheers and signs. This guy would be crazy (...and not Cameron Crazy) to go anywhere else. Let him know we mean to have him here. Mason, come on down!!

I find it interesting after reading in several articles that Mason grew up as a big UNC fan. They recruited him but did not offer. If he were to sign with Duke, that could be a huge motivational factor for him to play in the same conference and against UNC twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    I find it interesting after reading in several articles that Mason grew up as a big UNC fan. They recruited him but did not offer. If he were to sign with Duke, that could be a huge motivational factor for him to play in the same conference and against UNC twice a year.
    Wasn't that the case with Jason Williams? Or was it someone else? My brain is moving a little slow this morning. Must have done a lot of damage last night trying to watch the State/BC game.

if plumlee is a 4 star, any clue why scout has him listed as NR (not rated?)

I mean they have the stars, but not a # for him. Just seems weird.