Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Plumlee's a great example of why you can't tell everything about recruiting from the rankings. He may be ranked lower than Echenique, Painter and Riley but that's really meaningless because, while he's 6-11 and listed as a power forward, he doesn't play the same game as any of those guys.

Riley and Echenique are both guys who operate inside almost exclusively. Painter is a guy who has the ability to hit an outside shot but he's not as skilled at putting the ball on the floor and passing as Plumlee.

When Erik Murphy committed to Florida the Blue Devils stepped up their recruitment of Plumlee. If you look at the two players you can see that they're somewhat similar in terms of their skill set. Both guys are Kyle Singler types - which is not to say that they are as good a player as Kyle Singler, only that they would fit well into Duke's current system if they were in that role.

The Polish Connection

Related to our ability to successfully recruit Czyz, Plumlee is, per Scout, a Warsaw native. :0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link. If K really said what the article says he did, this will be a great prospect to look forward to.

At least Mason's name fits the cadence:

"Ma-Son Plum-Lee... COME-TO-DUKE!"

Mason Plumlee

Great news that Duke has offered. I have been watching this kid this season. I thought he would be a good prospect for Duke and what do you know?! He gets an offer. I hope he chooses Duke.

Here is a write up on a recent game. Here are some pics of that game.
    Last edited by Chard; 02-12-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: repetative info

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Plumlee's a great example of why you can't tell everything about recruiting from the rankings. He may be ranked lower than Echenique, Painter and Riley but that's really meaningless because, while he's 6-11 and listed as a power forward, he doesn't play the same game as any of those guys.

Riley and Echenique are both guys who operate inside almost exclusively. Painter is a guy who has the ability to hit an outside shot but he's not as skilled at putting the ball on the floor and passing as Plumlee.

When Erik Murphy committed to Florida the Blue Devils stepped up their recruitment of Plumlee. If you look at the two players you can see that they're somewhat similar in terms of their skill set. Both guys are Kyle Singler types - which is not to say that they are as good a player as Kyle Singler, only that they would fit well into Duke's current system if they were in that role.
    I know that you can't judge a recruit simply on his ranking but for some of us, the ranking is the only thing we have to go on until their name gets tossed around the boards a few times. That's why I asked the question. Your argument that since he is a different style of player than Echenique, Painter and Riley the rankings are meaningless, however doesn't make much sense. I'm sure that there is some recruit out in Idaho or Montana who has a similar style of play as Singler but isn't fit to carry his jock, should we recruit him simply because he plays a certain style? You have to fit the style of play that Duke wants to play but you also have to be good. And while the rankings can be off, they are not without meaning.

I do like that he would be a contrasting player to Echenique, Painter or Riley. That way if we were to sign him and one of them we would be more versatile. Regardless, I hope that we two of the four in one shape or form and that which every 2 we sign end up being better than the other 2.

The recruitment of Mason Plumlee

I know there is already a thread on Plumlee coming to visit Duke tomorrow night for the MD game (Thanks Watzone!), but the way this has progressed made me want to start a new thread.

This whole recruitment seems very strange. I am not trying to be negative or upset, since the kid seems to have a heck of a lot going for him. He's from Indiana - I live in a town a few miles west of Warsaw closer to Chicago - and goes to school in Asheville (where my grandparents live). I've got every reason to root for him, and I sure hope that he makes the right choice by becoming a Blue Devil. (NOTE: I do not have a premium subscription; this is all based on info from free boards and newspaper articles)

What seems strange to me is the timing and the press coverage of this. First, we were only involved with him slightly until Erik Murphy chose Florida. Then he get's our full attention. Coach K and Coach Collins made the trip to Asheville on Monday and offer him after watching practice and a game (I think). I don't recall ever readingCoach K quotes on a recruit in the local paper. He was said to tell Plumlee's HS coach that he looked like Danny Ferry, had the skills to be a national player of the year, and an nba lottery pick one day.

Now, Plumlee is coming to the MD game tomorrow night and another visit later in the month. His HS coach not only said that Plumlee expects to make a decision within a month's time, but he also started a thread on another free-to-access message board about these turn of events. The HS coach is attending the game tomorrow night and seems to be a big Duke fan. This all seems very odd to me. I cannot recall - especially with my limited insight into recruiting and lack of contacts - a recruitment picking up the pace so quickly. Does anyone else think that this is unusual? Can anyone remember a recruitment like this? From what I've read, though, I sure hope he chooses Duke...

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

It did strike me as a tad odd, especially the part where K is supposed to have said he could build an offense around a player currently averaging 13.6 points per game in high school. But then, part of K's recruiting approach apparently is to share his "vision" for the player down the road, and maybe he does project this kid as a linchpin. Or maybe there's a little bit of embellishment of what K said by the high school coach. In any event, I certainly trust K's quick judgments as much as his more studied ones.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Your argument that since he is a different style of player than Echenique, Painter and Riley the rankings are meaningless, however doesn't make much sense. I'm sure that there is some recruit out in Idaho or Montana who has a similar style of play as Singler but isn't fit to carry his jock, should we recruit him simply because he plays a certain style? You have to fit the style of play that Duke wants to play but you also have to be good. And while the rankings can be off, they are not without meaning.
    If I had argued that the rankings were meaningless then you would have a point. But I specifically said that you "can't tell everything about recruiting" based on the rankings. Certainly a guy who is a no-star player from anywhere isn't gong to be as effective as the guy ranked 25th in the class. But then, it's doubtful that Duke would be recruiting that guy in the first place.

The point here is that just because one guy is ranked higher than another guy doesn't mean that the lower ranked guy won't be more effective in a particular setting. If you're looking for a guy who can do a certain thing - such as a big man who can hit the outside shot, handle the ball, and pass - it doesn't necessarily mean that a guy is going to be ranked higher than others at his position who may be dominant inside.

Riley is ranked much higher than Plumlee and Murphy but Duke's focus was on Murphy first and then Plumlee to complement Echenique inside because both players have a skill set that the higher ranked Riley does not.

Thanks for the heads-up, Wat. I'm pumped about this guy putting on a Duke uni!!

Riley is ranked much higher than Plumlee and Murphy but Duke's focus was on Murphy first and then Plumlee to complement Echenique inside because both players have a skill set that the higher ranked Riley does not.
    Which is why I really hope that we land Echenique, or if we don't, that we have a REALLY solid back-up plan.

Scout has this:

"In-State big forward Mason Plumlee (6'11, 215, PF) has received the Blue Devils' last offer in 2009..."

Is that correct: "....last offer."

Just curious - I know if someone doesn't sign that scholarship remains and we can offer to someone else but as I understand it from other posts we have/had 4 scholarships to offer and they have been offered to:

Boynton
    McDonald
    Echenique
    Plumlee

I was just thinking we may offer Painter as well and I like that kid. Nevertheless, this is a great class and hopefully after the MD and UNC games we may see some verbals...

I've seen some video on Plumlee from local broadcasts. I was left with the impression that he is humble and thoughtful. Once I saw the highlights of his game I thought "Wow, he could be a great D-1 prospect". Hearing that Duke offered makes me very happy for him and for Duke. If he signs with UNC I'll puke. I'd really like to see him in a Duke uni. I hope I'm not being "repetative"!

Twofers

I like when we score a couple athletes from the same family, Battiers, Waners, et al. Kyle's younger brother seems to play a loaded position for us, but seems like he will be recruited at the D1 level.

How about Mason's brother? In the most recent game, as a freshman, he had 6 blocks. Any word?

Hey Crazies, show Mason a great time tonight!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    I've seen some video on Plumlee from local broadcasts. I was left with the impression that he is humble and thoughtful. Once I saw the highlights of his game I thought "Wow, he could be a great D-1 prospect". Hearing that Duke offered makes me very happy for him and for Duke. If he signs with UNC I'll puke. I'd really like to see him in a Duke uni. I hope I'm not being "repetative"!
    I seem to recall an article where despite growing up in Indiana he was also a UNC fan. But, with their influx of post players both for 08/09 and 09/10 (Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, and the Wear brothers) already committed there is next to no room for him and he has not been offered and his interest level is reportedly low (a buddy of mine who is a Carolina fan - hey, there are so many if I didn't I'd have no friends at all - confirms this as accurate to his knowledge).

Maybe somebody out there more in the know can confirm this. One thing is for sure - I'd hate to have the seat behind him at the game tonight...you could miss a lot of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    I seem to recall an article where despite growing up in Indiana he was also a UNC fan. But, with their influx of post players both for 08/09 and 09/10 (Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, and the Wear brothers) already committed there is next to no room for him and he has not been offered and his interest level is reportedly low (a buddy of mine who is a Carolina fan - hey, there are so many if I didn't I'd have no friends at all - confirms this as accurate to his knowledge).

Maybe somebody out there more in the know can confirm this. One thing is for sure - I'd hate to have the seat behind him at the game tonight...you could miss a lot of the game...
    He did grow up a UNC fan, but they are out of the race with who they have signed. This is not the first time for a Duke or UNC fan to possibly in his case go to the other school. Mason will be visiting withone of his brothers and his high school coach. So, look for two tall guys crazies! They might be seen around campus as early as 4:00. I talked with his coach yesterday, but must save the positive comments for my members of Blue Devil Nation Premium. FWIW, he will attend the St. Johns game with his parents. Mason led his team in scoring with 14 in their final regular season game last evening. They routed Asheville and start local playoffs this weekend. His coach and Mason are looking foward to today's visit.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    He did grow up a UNC fan, but they are out of the race with who they have signed. This is not the first time for a Duke or UNC fan to possibly in his case go to the other school. Mason will be visiting withone of his brothers and his high school coach. So, look for two tall guys crazies! They might be seen around campus as early as 4:00. I talked with his coach yesterday, but must save the positive comments for my members of Blue Devil Nation Premium. FWIW, he will attend the St. Johns game with his parents. Mason led his team in scoring with 14 in their final regular season game last evening. They routed Asheville and start local playoffs this weekend. His coach and Mason are looking foward to today's visit.
    Thanks Watzone - enjoy your posts!

Bttt

Just want to keep Mason in the minds of the Crazies.

Sounds like his brother Marshall will be with him - he is the freshman playing on the same team - can anyone confirm?

It might be cool for the Crazies to give Mason's brother a cheer, perhaps:

"You are Marshall"

It would be great for us to build some momentum for the 2009 recruiting year, to have our other targets watch the scholarships start to disappear.

BTW, add Echenique to the list of UNC visitors. That makes Boynton, Ech, McDonald and Williams on the list and don;t be surprised if Plumlee turns up for this one too.