Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    The John Edwards ambulance chasers of the world are always out there lurking...especially when related to a private university with deep pockets.

At first I thought this was an unrelated dig and trolling. But you know, Edwards was at the game.

Self-defense

Quote Originally Posted by onepresent View Post
    At first I thought this was an unrelated dig and trolling. But you know, Edwards was at the game.
    A troll I definitely am NOT!

I just read a lot more on these boards than I ever post....

As for Breckie-Boy, I never turn down an opportunity to "comment." For some time I've stood by my observation that he could not get elected mayor of Chapel Heel if the only opponent was Coach K. (You just gotta live in this state to understand we don't use the JE snake oil.)

Gotta quit at that, or this might get bumped to another board.

Time to go to the BC game!

k

As for the game in the Dean Dome, the thought definitely DID cross my mind that HansTravel was obviously gassed and was getting at least an extended break while he "directed" the clean up activity along the baseline. TowelGate IS a possibility!

k
    That was my precise thought as it occurred over and over. Hans leaning over, dripping on the court and then pointing to the spot to be wipped.

Maybe I am oversensitive to Carolina's persistent efforts to get free time outs - "injuries" with miraculous recovery, Contacts and now wet floors. Seems there might be a pattern?

It's actually part of a Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe I am oversensitive to Carolina's persistent efforts to get free time outs - "injuries" with miraculous recovery, contacts and now wet floors. Seems there might be a pattern?
    Perhaps, but that is just the heels' way of offsetting the fact that the refs always work against their team and that for some unknown reason EVERYBODY goes to the foul line much more than their own players.

k

Perhaps, but that is just the heels' way of offsetting the fact that the refs always work against their team and that for some unknown reason EVERYBODY goes to the foul line much more than their own players.

k
    Speaking of fouls, did I really hear correctly during the game that Hanswhatever has actually gone to the charity line 91 times more than anyone else? How can that possibly be - especially if Duke gets all the calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    ...And for the love of God above, it's not 'bush' league, it's 'Busch league.'
    Uh, no it's not. That phrase refers to out-of-the-way, unaffiliated minor league baseball teams that play in rundown facilities and towns..."out in the bush," hence the term "bush league."
    Some have amended it to refer to the Busch Series, NASCAR's answer to triple-A, but the use of the phrase "bush league" dates from well before the creation of the Busch Series.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Back in the old days, it was always teenagers who were ball boys, at least 13 years old. There were four of them, two at each end, the same ones for years, and they did a good job. Then they started getting younger and younger b/c they were grandchildren of old Iron Dukes or whatever. They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt. So they ditched the kids. Best idea.
    Hey! I don't mean to start an argument here, but I used to be a ballboy back in the day, and no one then thought I was useless. In fact, the Crazies seemed to think I was doing a good job. Well enough, in fact, that they crowd-surfed me like Dickie V.

Sure, we might've been a little slow, but that sort of thing makes a difference in a kid's life. I know safety is an issue for both players and ballpetsons, but I can say I'll never forget hanging around Chris Duhon.

To those kids it was all fun and games

But man.... my friend and I were getting quite frustrated over the issue because we were in the heat of the moment and were tired of watching the UNC players and the refs DIRECT the kids to the same spot they just "wiped up" because they didn't do it efficiently

No knock on KIDS in general, so let's stray away from that accusation... I.e. "Don't say bad stuff about kids"

We're not criticizing the KIDS, we're criticizing the "sweat cleaner-upper system" if I may be coloquial...

Smile The Last Ball Boy (at Cameron)

My grandson Tim was one of the last ball boys. His little sister will never have a chance - unless she becomes a Duke Manager.

I am glad to know the change was made for safety reasons. Tim thought it was made because the Clemson coach complained to the officials about him and his fellow ball boys agitating Clemson players during free throw attempts.

Those kids (the ball boys and ball girls) had a great experience in Cameron - and I am forever grateful to Duke for giving them that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Hey! I don't mean to start an argument here, but I used to be a ballboy back in the day, and no one then thought I was useless. In fact, the Crazies seemed to think I was doing a good job. Well enough, in fact, that they crowd-surfed me like Dickie V.

Sure, we might've been a little slow, but that sort of thing makes a difference in a kid's life. I know safety is an issue for both players and ballpetsons, but I can say I'll never forget hanging around Chris Duhon.
    We are brethren, you and I. As my username indicates, I was a ballboy for what may have been the most talented Duke team of all time. Only I was never crowd-surfed. Although one time when I rushed out to wipe up some sweat, Dickie V applauded my hustle on the air and said something like "Get that kid a scholarship, baby!" It was an amazing experience. We got to rebound for the players during pregame shootarounds back then too. We weren't allowed to shoot, except one time Ryan Caldbeck let us all take one shot each (I missed mine ) One time Will Avery took us all 4-on-1 and didn't go easy on us at all. I have fond memories of Nate James calling me "little man" when asking for the ball. I have a not-so-fond memory of hitting Trajan Langdon in the face when he wasn't ready for a pass. I witnessed Kenny Inge stomp on Battier's face up close and man, was it ugly. One time a Crazie spilled Coke in the front row right at midcourt and it seeped under the barrier onto the court, and I was out cleaning it up for what seemed like 10 minutes as the Crazies chanted "Wax on, wax off." But I'm not gonna say no one thought I was worthless, because, odds are, they did. Right now, I totally agree with having adults wipe up the sweat. But I took advantage of an unforgettable opportunity while it was still there.