Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    If it weren't the ball kids, what would the issue be?
    I don't understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I don't understand the question.
    I'll rephrase: If the ball kids hadn't been so lazy or slow, what would the complaints be about? Aside from safety issues related to moisture on the floor, why such a focus on the ball kids? Maybe because I was a school principal in my primary career, I notice how people talk about kids. If you feel I'm out of line in this point of view, please excuse me.

I'll rephrase: If the ball kids hadn't been so lazy or slow, what would the complaints be about? Aside from safety issues related to moisture on the floor, why such a focus on the ball kids? Maybe because I was a school principal in my primary career, I notice how people talk about kids. If you feel I'm out of line in this point of view, please excuse me.
    Oh, okay. If the kids had done a better job, I doubt there would have been any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    LOL. South Park strikes again!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I'm not going to reread the thread, but I don't think anybody was saying nasty things about the kids. If somebody did, I would agree that's out of line. It appeared to me most people were pointing out a problem.

I didn't much care, but the three people I was watching with sure noticed that the ball kids were struggling to clean up the floor, and there were a lot of slips by players.

Bottom line, there was a problem.

I've never noticed this problem at UNC before, so I assume it's an abberation. Maybe they had a contest to be a "Duke/UNC ball kid" and displaced their normal ball kids. Maybe they cycle kids frequently and started a new set the other night and forgot to train them.

Either way, they had a problem-- a problem I personally imagine they will fix, given UNC's track record.

That's not what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Oh, okay. If the kids had done a better job, I doubt there would have been any complaints.
    What I've been trying to say is that kids don't perform like adults. Criticizing them as harshly as we would criticize adults sounds small and petty, takes away from the overall classy game. My overall standard for my own comments about basketball games is: What would Coach K say?

Actually saw at least once on tv the ref take the towel from the towel boys and mop the floor himself during foul shots. Thought that was odd. Guess I'm not the only one who noticed something

What I've been trying to say is that kids don't perform like adults. Criticizing them as harshly as we would criticize adults sounds small and petty, takes away from the overall classy game. My overall standard for my own comments about basketball games is: What would Coach K say?
    Partially agree with you - after all they are kids. But Carolina has a responsibility to provide a safe playing surface. The ref shouldn't be mopping the floor because they didn't do the job

I think the issue here isn't - or shouldn't be - that the kids didn't perform like adults. It's that Carolina should know that kids don't perform like adults so they shouldn't put them in a position where they would need to do so.

What would Coach K say? Well if the game were at Duke he would likely pull Captain Joe aside and point out to him that instead of having kids come out and do a spotty job of cleaning up sweat that maybe it would be safer for the players if the job was performed by adults.

You've said it well

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I think the issue here isn't - or shouldn't be - that the kids didn't perform like adults. It's that Carolina should know that kids don't perform like adults so they shouldn't put them in a position where they would need to do so.

What would Coach K say? Well if the game were at Duke he would likely pull Captain Joe aside and point out to him that instead of having kids come out and do a spotty job of cleaning up sweat that maybe it would be safer for the players if the job was performed by adults.
    Carlos, you've said it better than I. As you know, Duke did have the same problem with moisture on the floor for years and the kids struggled to get it up. I remember many games when we waited while an area was dried. Having air conditioning on and assigning student managers to dry the floor is definitely the way to go. An added benefit is that we may have created more managers' positions and benefit with a longer bench when our managers play the Carolina managers.

I think it's awesome that UNC still lets young kids to it. When I was watching the game, I told somebody as such. It's sort of a tradition, I think, to let kids to it, and you don't see it that often. Who cares if kids do it? Would managers do a 'better job?' Sure, but imagine being able to say to your 5th grade classmates that you're a ballboy for UNC.

And for the love of God above, it's not 'bush' league, it's 'Busch league.'

I got an idea. Why don't they let the "towel wavers" down at the end of the UNC bench burn some of their towel waving energy by running out to help the kids?
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    I got an idea. Why don't they let the "towel wavers" down at the end of the UNC bench burn some of their towel waving energy by running out to help the kids?
    I think Sean May needs to be out there doing some sort of exercise, even if it's just mopping up sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    Man, those guys were slow!
    I know, they were pre-teen boys so they were probably doing the best they could. But at least 2 times, I was wondering what's the delay. And then I realized everyone was waiting on them.

I guess the players don't mind though. Gives them a nice little breather.
    Im suuuure it wasnt on purpose...

haha...wow.

Wwcks

What would Coach K say?

He would probably say "!@#$&*......."

arghhhh small children arghhhh

Gotta go with the adults

I don't think anyone really has negative thoughts about the kids, but there is definitely a liability factor there. The issue is similar to the fact that CIS does not allow "acrobatic" cheerleading, even by the visitors, and IIRC at one time there were even young girl cheerleaders who got out on the court.

The John Edwards ambulance chasers of the world are always out there lurking...especially when related to a private university with deep pockets.

As for the game in the Dean Dome, the thought definitely DID cross my mind that HansTravel was obviously gassed and was getting at least an extended break while he "directed" the clean up activity along the baseline. TowelGate IS a possibility!

k

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I think Sean May needs to be out there doing some sort of exercise, even if it's just mopping up sweat.
    That's a zero sum game. The act of mopping up sweat would be such a physical workout for May that he would start sweating profusely making more sweat to clean up off the floor.

It's an evil idea, ugadevil.