Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost (2/7)(spoilers)

I'll admit it: I'm lost, totally. I really enjoyed the episode, but this new story line is, well, new.

How did the cockpit of the plane get from the jungle to the bottom of the ocean. Was it a "plant" by the, um, who? And the tail section too, which is what the treasure hunters first found. There's a reason why the other group (season two) was called the "tailies". And what the hell is a polar bear skeleton doing in the desert, wearing a Dahrma necklace?

Glad Charlotte was wearing a vest. How did she now? Does Charlotte look like Penny?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'll admit it: I'm lost, totally. I really enjoyed the episode, but this new story line is, well, new.
    Me too

How did the cockpit of the plane get from the jungle to the bottom of the ocean. Was it a "plant" by the, um, who? And the tail section too, which is what the treasure hunters first found. There's a reason why the other group (season two) was called the "tailies".
    I believe it was def. a plant. I can only assume that it was plant so the team could look by itself and everyone else would stop. But that can't be right, the pilot was the one to call the hotline to say the pilot footage was wrong. Again, I'm lost.

And what the hell is a polar bear skeleton doing in the desert, wearing a Dahrma necklace?
    Makes perfect sense to me

Glad Charlotte was wearing a vest. How did she now? Does Charlotte look like Penny?
    Where Desmond when you need him.

And what the hell do they need Ben for. He is one important dude

Two things...

1) in that the black guy who visited Hurley seems to be the organizer of the mission to the island... it casts a new light on his question from the previous episode to Hurley of "are they still alive?" Whereas I had assumed he was referring to the rest of the 815'ers, I now believe he's asking about his team.

2) Take the ghost talker to the grave of the Dharma people..

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I think Ben has a plant on the freighter. I think he is the "Sam" dude from the internet teaser game Lost put out before the season this year. For those not obsessive enough to plow through Lostpedia but want to know more, here ya go.

Here's all you need to know from the game-- Sam had a significant other who disappeared with 815 and he was obsessed with finding out what happened. He started receiving mysterious emails which ultimately told him to get on the freighter Christiane I (henceforth, C1). C1 is led by a guy who clearly is not being upfront about his ultimate goals. In the game, the C1 is the ship that found 815 on the ocean floor. Sam is a former computer guy, so it's possible that he can hack into their systems enough to get information on the members of the C1.

Somehow, I think C1 gets from the 815 "wreckage" to the borders of the island.

I think Ben must have been sending the emails to Sam, and that Sam's girlfriend is either one of the anonymous Castaways, or, possibly, one of the "good" people that The Others kidnapped, who we haven't seen for a while and as far as I know are still an unsolved mystery.

ohhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I think Ben has a plant on the freighter. I think he is the "Sam" dude from the internet teaser game Lost put out before the season this year. For those not obsessive enough to plow through Lostpedia but want to know more, here ya go.

Here's all you need to know from the game-- Sam had a significant other who disappeared with 815 and he was obsessed with finding out what happened. He started receiving mysterious emails which ultimately told him to get on the freighter Christiane I (henceforth, C1). C1 is led by a guy who clearly is not being upfront about his ultimate goals. In the game, the C1 is the ship that found 815 on the ocean floor. Sam is a former computer guy, so it's possible that he can hack into their systems enough to get information on the members of the C1.

Somehow, I think C1 gets from the 815 "wreckage" to the borders of the island.

I think Ben must have been sending the emails to Sam, and that Sam's girlfriend is either one of the anonymous Castaways, or, possibly, one of the "good" people that The Others kidnapped, who we haven't seen for a while and as far as I know are still an unsolved mystery.
    this answers one of my forgotten questions.

my wife and I thought originally that the emotional dude in the beginning was called "Sam" by his wife. Then when he got on the island, he said his name was "Dan". So we were super suspicious of him from the get go. So we have not seen Sam yet, got it.

Watching late at night can be bad

Sam/Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    my wife and I thought originally that the emotional dude in the beginning was called "Sam" by his wife. Then when he got on the island, he said his name was "Dan". So we were super suspicious of him from the get go.
    Funny. I thought the EXACT same thing. I wonder if the actress misspoke at the beginning and they didn't catch it. Or maybe my hearing has just gone.

I heard it too. Interesting thing is that lostpedia.com doesn't mention it.

i thought she said Dan.

the big question for me was whether those were flashbacks or flashforwards.

Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    the big question for me was whether those were flashbacks or flashforwards.
    Great question. At first I thought they were flash forwards, but once we saw the last two I think they were all flash backs. All of the scenes (other than perhaps the one with Naomi) occurred at the same time because the news came across about finding the plane at the bottom of the ocean. When the pilot (blanking on his name) saw the news and called the government, he would not have done so had he already been on the island. He would have known the truth at that point. That sealed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I heard it too. Interesting thing is that lostpedia.com doesn't mention it.
    He doesn't look anything like Sam. Also, Sam has a pronounced Australian accent.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Great question. At first I thought they were flash forwards, but once we saw the last two I think they were all flash backs. All of the scenes (other than perhaps the one with Naomi) occurred at the same time because the news came across about finding the plane at the bottom of the ocean. When the pilot (blanking on his name) saw the news and called the government, he would not have done so had he already been on the island. He would have known the truth at that point. That sealed it for me.
    Also, Naomi said when she crashed that flight 815 had been found and that there were no survivors, so the finding of 815 had already happened before she crashed. Any flash* containing the "discovery" of 815 must have occurred in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Two things...

2) Take the ghost talker to the grave of the Dharma people..
    Excellent idea - I wonder if that will occur to the Losties?

The big shocker for me was a) seeing Ben off the island and b) learning that he's got someone on the freighter. I don't know why Ben off the island was such a surprise - as my husband pointed out, we've known for a while now that Richard can get on and off the island at will and we know that the Others can kidnap people (like Locke's father) and bring them onto the island seemingly without a problem.

My thought is that all these years that Ben has been "going to see Jacob", he's actually been making trips to the rest of the world. In that case, there's a very high probability that his name isn't Benjamin Linus either since I doubt he would give his real name to outsiders. It was good to see him return to his role as puppet-master - Ben who just gets constantly beaten up is a waste of talent.

So i think with all that Find815.com stuff that I've been reading up on, it sounds like that frieghter, that sam is on is the same on as the one the helicopter crew came in on. One of the last things that comes up is how there is going to be a bad storm near the Sunda Trench area, and the chopper crew gets grounded and has to bail out due to the really bad weather...connection? What if the magnetic properties of the island keep you from being able to see it directly? Perhaps this is why the people on the boat couldn't see the island to approach it even though they are seemingly nearby, and could only find it with a beacon from the phone (which, I assume, allows them to fly to the island blind and ignore their inability to see it). In addition, Sam saw a green light out at sea that lasted only a short while, is this the green light from the EM pulse on the island?

I think Sam is the inside mad for Ben on the boat, as whoever has him doing all this stuff for the find 815 game seems to be controlling him like a puppet, very much Ben's style.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Hmmm. a few holes remain.

I'd like to know why Ben keeps wanting people to beat him up. There is a well-developed psychoanalytic theory that connects masochism and narcissism, so maybe he just can't help himself, but if I were getting dragged through the jungle by people who hated me, I'd probably be quick to point out my usefulness and slow to highlight my being an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

As for bigger mysteries... so are we thinking that there is a electromagnetically-driven (HO) warp in the fabric of space that led 815 to bursting from an ocean crash to a discontinuity that connects multiple spots (desert/arctic/the island), a discontinuity that no one controls but is best manipulated by Ben/Jacob?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    So i think with all that Find815.com stuff that I've been reading up on, it sounds like that frieghter, that sam is on is the same on as the one the helicopter crew came in on.
    I disagree, they named the Christiane I as the ship that found 815... that ship is more of a trawler, and not a freighter as this latest ship has been referred to. Also, we never saw any indication of a helicopter on the Christaine I.

I am not so sure that the plane is a "plant". Could we be revisiting the parallel worlds theory again? There is renewed support for this line of thinking because the anthropologist's name is Charlotte Staples Lewis, a not-so-subtle linking to C.S. Lewis (whose real name was Clive Staples Lewis). Mr.Lewis, of course, wrote the Narnia series in which this idea is prominently involved...

As for Ben's man on the boat, my first thought was Micheal. We haven't seen him since the send off and I would not be surprised if some deal was made to have Micheal spy in exchange for Walt's safety...

I feel like I need to educate myself more about it, but I believe the CS Lewis / Narnia parallels are very significant and point strongly to the island being a place only accessible through a "wardrobe-like" entrance or entrances and where time passes in a different way.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I noted that the physicists name was Daniel Faraday. Michael Faraday of course was a famous physicist known for his work with electromagnetism - I believe he discovered (or explained) electromagnetic induction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    I am not so sure that the plane is a "plant". Could we be revisiting the parallel worlds theory again? There is renewed support for this line of thinking because the anthropologist's name is Charlotte Staples Lewis, a not-so-subtle linking to C.S. Lewis (whose real name was Clive Staples Lewis). Mr.Lewis, of course, wrote the Narnia series in which this idea is prominently involved...
    True, but in the initial scene with Mr. New Pilot - Lapidus I think his name is - he says clearly that the body that they're showing on TV is not that of the Oceanic 815 pilot. I still think it's a cover-up; you notice that when Lapidus called the hotline and alerted someone to the discrepancy, he ends up being shipped off there too.