recruiting 07-08--Anybody

Looks like UNC will be getting another top player in the truck, Devlin Roe. I believe thus far that UNC has had the following prospects in for visits:

Samuels
    Roe
    Drew
    Davis
    Gordon
    Holiday
    Aminu

Is it me or does it seem like we’re really falling behind in the recruiting process, I believe we’ve only had Drew Gordon in for a visit

Please advise me if I’m wrong (and hopefully I am), it seems like most of the talented kids are giving UNC a strong look. It seems that we could use a point guard and a post player and thus far we seem to be far behind. Can anybody please bring me up to speed on our prospect chances?

Thanks,

I dont think Coach K coaching the USA team has helped recruiting, but I dont believe it has hurt.

I believe alot of it has to do with UNC not having anyone in this years class, So they need a big class next year. Lose 5 players, Sign them all back that year: Not saying they will lose 5 players.

Yeah, UNC didn't sign anyone in the 07 class (of Singler, etc), so they're going for a big 08 class. Duke might end up doing something similar by only signing one guy (Greg Monroe, fingers crossed) in 08 and loading up in 09. We also began recruiting Larry Drew in 08 who is a point guard, but we got in the game late. I think the staff is comfortable enough with Nolan Smith at PG to wait until 09. We also might try to add another big besides Monroe (Drew Gordon) but I'm not sure there will be the immediate playing time necessary to be attractive to the 08 kids.

Looking at my projected 08-09 team again:
    Sr Paulus, So Smith
    Jr Scheyer, Sr Pocius
    Jr Henderson, Sr McClure
    So Singler, Jr Thomas, So King
    (Fr Monroe), Jr Zoubek, (Fr '08 second big)

As you can see, the second big would have difficulty getting immediate playing time.

Drew Gordon

Trouble, There is a good possibility if Duke recruits Drew Gordon he would become a Devil.

During the free week of Scout.com he also said he was a Duke fan and they were his favorite, But he also said that his recruiting is wide open and any team could come in and grab him.

I'm not quite sure how many Scholly's we have. If everything worked to plan though. Greg Monroe and Travis Relaford(anyone have any info on this kid?) or Drew Gordon

Thumbs up Monroe

I hear really good things about Monroe and he has already said publically that Duke has always been his dream school. SO I am keeping my fingers crossed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, UNC didn't sign anyone in the 07 class (of Singler, etc), so they're going for a big 08 class. Duke might end up doing something similar by only signing one guy (Greg Monroe, fingers crossed) in 08 and loading up in 09. We also began recruiting Larry Drew in 08 who is a point guard, but we got in the game late. I think the staff is comfortable enough with Nolan Smith at PG to wait until 09. We also might try to add another big besides Monroe (Drew Gordon) but I'm not sure there will be the immediate playing time necessary to be attractive to the 08 kids.

Looking at my projected 08-09 team again:
    Sr Paulus, So Smith
    Jr Scheyer, Sr Pocius
    Jr Henderson, Sr McClure
    So Singler, Jr Thomas, So King
    (Fr Monroe), Jr Zoubek, (Fr '08 second big)

As you can see, the second big would have difficulty getting immediate playing time.
    Goodlist, but we are still in the hunt for Pattrick Patterson, so if we land him we potentially have 2 at every position.
    The Gordog

It's a numbers game. If Duke signs Patterson-and that's a realistic possibility-Duke will have 13 committed scholarships for next season, only one of whom is a senior. Now there certainly are some attrition possibilities. I think few expect to see Josh McRoberts suit up for senior day in 2009 but right now Duke just doesn't have a lot of scholarships to throw around.

As has been mentioned, UNC is bringing in no one this year. It remains to be seen what happens with UNC's freshman/sophomore classes but it appears likely that they will have more scholarships to offer, hence their being linked to more prospects.

Duke will sign 3 or 4 players this season, UNC 0.

Next season it may well be Duke 1/2, UNC 4/5

Then the following season it might be the opposite.

I would suggest fans of both not get caught up in one-year classes but look at the larger trends. I suspect we'll see both shades of blue well represented in the world of high-school All-Americans for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    Greg Monroe and Travis Relaford(anyone have any info on this kid?) or Drew Gordon
    Travis Releford is a KC kid, from Bishop Miege high school. Roy was in on him, not sure anymore, and of course KU, Duke, and probably a few others. His latest ranking isn't that high (maybe 50), but he's a much better player than that. Personally, I think he gets bored in the not-too-tough KC hoops scene.

It'll be mildly shocking if he doesn't attend KU. Self is in big on Greg Monroe too, but is solidly in 2nd place behind K.

At this point there isn't much interest between Duke and Releford.

Quote Originally Posted by jawk24 View Post
    Is it me or does it seem like we’re really falling behind in the recruiting process, I believe we’ve only had Drew Gordon in for a visit

Please advise me if I’m wrong (and hopefully I am), it seems like most of the talented kids are giving UNC a strong look. It seems that we could use a point guard and a post player and thus far we seem to be far behind. Can anybody please bring me up to speed on our prospect chances?

Thanks,
    Greg Monroe is the trump card. If we land him we'll be MORE than ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer7 View Post
    Greg Monroe is the trump card. If we land him we'll be MORE than ok.
    Wow, I just looked up some video footage of him for the first time and... well, WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Wow, I just looked up some video footage of him for the first time and... well, WOW.
    Yeah, getting him would be like getting a Durant, Oden, or C. Anthony. He'd have that type of impact. One Bad MO-FO!

well, going into next year, Duke will bring in at least 3 (4 if PP commits) McDonalds AA. While the high schoo rankings dont always pan out - the McD game is generally a solid indicator of what the "experts" say the top talent in the country is. If I'm not mistaken, next year we will have 9 McDonalds All Americans (Scheyer, Thomas, Henderson, Paulus, McRoberts, Nelson, Singler, Smith, King), with Zoubek, McClure, and Marty being our only non McD AA scholarship players. For virtually any program in the country that is absolutely unheard of. There is no doubt in my mind that K can and does recruit better than the best of 'em.

I'm not alone

I was certainly surprised to see a thread here on this just as I was about to post something similar. I was browsing the rivals.com recruiting list and, yeah, I too noticed that while only a few guys in the top 30 or so (as far as I checked) have Duke on their list, every player in the top 10 that hasn't already committed has UNC on theirs (some as a "high" possibility). There's more beyond that that have UNC on their list, too, probably 15+ in the top 20-25 though I lost count.

Is this picking and choosing by Duke? I know we've got a good incoming class next year, but do we really not reach out much beyond this? UNC has quite a safety net it seems if recruits fall through...

Ohio State seems to have quite a class locked up already. Guess I haven't been paying attention.

And is Monroe really favoring Duke that heavily? That's awesome news, if true, but I hadn't heard that except on this board. Any outside sources someone can point to? If we land him that negates any other concerns...

Yes, Monroe likes Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    And is Monroe really favoring Duke that heavily? That's awesome news, if true, but I hadn't heard that except on this board. Any outside sources someone can point to? If we land him that negates any other concerns...
    Lulu,

Checkout this link: http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...460.xml&coll=1

On page 7, Monroe says he has always idolized Duke and was star-struck when he met Coach K.

That doesn't mean he's coming, but you have to like our chances.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Is Monroe that good? What is his position? We don't need another McRoberts, all the hype and we are still waiting. On another note, recruiting is more than about McDonald's AAs, we need to beat the bushes a little as well. I don't care how we do it, if we don't get a point guard, we can never go but so far!